Recently

12 May 2013

Snow Globe Soap


Imagine yourself inside a snow globe – snow fluttering all around and a feeling of being refreshed, revitalised and uplifted. Well, this soap will make you feel all of the above, with a citrusy lemon myrtle, grapefruit and lemongrass blend that will bluster your senses and wake you up on cold winter mornings. The whole soap is in the shape of a snow globe, with white circles to imitate the snowflakes. 

On paper, this soap sounds and looks amazing. There is something old-fashioned and fantastical about snow globes, something that most likely stems from the fact that we don't tend to see very many of them around anymore. 

When I went on a mad Christmas spree back in November 2012, and after hearing so many good things about this soap, I just knew I had to buy a huge chunk. However, imagine my distain when my order arrived a few days later and I discovered that I didn't like it.

The initial scent is quite mellow, a mixture of grapefruit and lemongrass that promises to wake up even the most stubborn of people on a cold winter's morning. In fact, given it's main scent, I thought it would go wonderfully with my bottle of Happy Hippy. It contains Lemon Myrtle, grapefruit oil, rapeseed oil and coconut oil so it is still very moisturising.

However, all was not well when I first tried it in the shower and smelt an awful concoction of grapefruit and toilet cleaner.  Although it lathered up well, and I could feel that it was moisturising my skin, the overpowering smell of synthetic cleaner was all too prominent for my liking. 

They say that everyone's skin reacts differently to different scents, which is why the same perfume may smell completely different on multiple people. And this is definitely the case with Snow Globe

Despite switching to a different soap, the scent lingered on my skin for quite some time, which is no doubt a positive note for those that love the smell, but for me it was a very unpleasant experience. A positive note is that the cocktail of citrus oils that are used to construct this soap, also help to combat the scent of perspiration, so I found my skin was still fresh-smelling and clean some hours later.

However, my overall impression was jilted by that overpowering plastic-y scent that seemed to engulf my senses. This is not a soap I enjoyed at all, and definitely not one I would buy again.

Quantitative Ingredients: Water, Propylene Glycol, Rapeseed Oil and Coconut Oil, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Perfume, Organic Lemon Myrtle Oil, Ylang Ylang Oil, Grapefruit Oil, Titanium Dioxide, Sodium Chloride, Glycerine, EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Sodium Hydroxide, *Citral, *Geraniol, *Limonene, *Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Methyl Lonone, Colour 42090.

Vegan?: Yes

4 comments

  1. I enjoy the prefume, but this product doesn't mantain his freshness for long although it's a soap. After a couple of months (i have too many soaps and i want to try them all as soon as i can, so i never use the entire slice but i cut them into pieces changing them frequently) the perfume vanishes, i can only smell if if i push my nose directly to the soap (ia have the same problem with Happy soap), and the colour changes, now is far more green while, when i bought it, it was kinda a light blue. Basically that's just what disapponted me about Snow Globe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's strange because I find that the smell of this soap lasts longer than others! Having said that, I didn't buy any the last time it was released so maybe a new recipe stops it from lasting.

      Delete
  2. I hoarded my little slab of Snow Globe or a long time, Kept it in a covered glass jar, and it did pretty well. I sure wish that LUSH would make this scent again. Does anyone make a copycat version of it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss SnowGlobe like an old friend…It would be great if my old friend would come visit again for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete


UP