Recently

25 February 2018

Antiope Naked Shower Gel




Once in a blue moon, Lush bring out a product that incites quite a bit of negativity online, and this only spurs me into wanting to try said item as soon as possible. There have been releases in the past that people have sworn blindly are the worst smelling cosmetics on the planet, only for me to fall in love with the fragrance once I get my hands on one. The Lovestruck Bubble Bar from last year's Valentine's Day range is one such example.

As I was infatuated with the Tender Is The Night Naked Shower Cream from the Valentine's Day range, Antiope Naked Shower Gel sort of slipped under the radar for a bit - only to resurface when I had used up my beloved bottle of the pink variety and decided to find something new to accompany me in the shower.

As with all of Lush's naked range, the idea behind these products was to produce a package-less gel or cream that was far healthier for the environment as well as the consumer. Not only are these bottles easier to transport without the risk of spillages in your luggage, the condensed format means that they're supposed to last far longer than the liquid variation as well. At the moment I am fairly torn about this change from Lush - as although I agree that we need to step away from using plastic in as many forms as possible, there is still something so enticing about the liquid variations for me.

Having not researched about this product at all before it arrived, I was surprised to find that the bright yellow demeanour was not at all representative of the fragrance that the naked gel offered my senses. Thinking it might have smelt of lemons or limes, or similar to Yuzu And Cocoa Shower Cream (as they offer the same vibrant shade of yellow) I was surprised to find that it was so far away from this, it was almost unbelievable.       

Made from a base of Suma root infusion, this shower gel is a dry, earthy yet slightly sweet aroma: definitely one that is very unique, and probably something that the majority of people will dislike. The above ingredient is described as having a spicy vanilla fragrance, although I feel it is the former component that it offers up the most here. I don't really associate the warmth of vanilla with the smell of this shower gel at all, although it may form part of the padding underneath that makes this shower gel so thick and wholesome.

This product also features a combination of pequi and davana oil: the latter which brings a gentle, warm citrusy aroma to the experience; the former which compliments the davana oil with its own unique fruitiness. It is the inclusion of the kaolin that adds a strong, wet clay smell to the mix, and which gives this shower gel is very odd and much acquired smell to experience.

Interestingly, I found that the shower gel changed scent quite a bit when the presence of hot water was included. Although earthy and dry when out of water, these notes dimmed very slightly when being heated by the shower. It was then that I believe the pequi oil made its grand entrance and offered up a much stronger, fruitier smell than before. There was almost a tropical element to the shower gel, which I would compare to the smell of slightly overripe pineapples. Although it didn't wow me enough to become a favourite, there is definitely something far more desirable about Antiope when it is being used in the shower.    

Furthermore, this sweeter, fruiter smell dominated the scent on my skin after towelling myself down, and the dry, earthy elements supported this fragrance rather than thwarting it. The shower gel also left my skin feeling really clean and clear - something that the inclusion of the kaolin would have helped to produce. Additionally, I used this on my face and found that the redness surrounding a few spots that I had acquired seemed to noticeably reduce after only a single use.

Despite my reservations towards the fragrance, I was impressed by how quickly Antiope lathered up. With minimum effort, I was able to coat both of my hands, in less than a second, with enough product to wash and shave both of my legs with. Having said that, the lather is the same colour as the bottle, so you do need to be careful not to flick too much around your bathtub. While it wont stain your surfaces, it can seem a little messy when you're in the shower.

My only issue with this and all of Lush's naked shower gels is how to store them afterwards. As Antiope tends to paint the edge of the bath with yellow puddles, I had to pat the bottle down before I felt confident enough to store it in my bathroom. This proved quite difficult as tissue paper tends to stick to the naked gels and creams, and using a towel just meant that I had yellow stains that I needed to wash off right away.

If I'm going to be honest, this is probably my least favourite naked shower gel, and perhaps my least favourite shower gel overall. While I wouldn't describe it as being at all disgusting, it's just not an enjoyable smell for me, especially as it intensifies somewhat when you use it in the shower. I cannot imagine this making an appearance next year, and I doubt if other products will come out in this scent. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Suma Root Infusion (Pfaffia Paniculata), Propylene Glycol, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Sodium Stearate, Lauryl Betaine, Pequi Oil (Caryocar Brasiliense), Guar Gum (Cyanopsis Tetragonoloba), Brazilian Orange Oil (Citrus Sinensis), *Limonene, Davana Oil (Artemisia Pallens), Galbanum Oil (Ferula Galbaniflua), White Amazonian Clay (Kaolin), Titanium Dioxide, *Citral, Fragrance Yellow 10 Lake, 

2018 Price: £9.75 each.

Year Of Original Release: 2018.



No comments

Post a Comment


UP