Recently

16 April 2013

Badass Shower Gel / Ginger Shower Gel


Rarely am I disappointed by a Lush product, and rarely do I disagree with their choice of name. However, there is always a first, and this is the case with their 'Badass Gel'. Admittedly, I am not a huge fan of the ginger scent, so perhaps I'm going a little overboard with the negativity here, when maybe it comes down to my simple dislike of the smell. However, I really feel this product does not live up to it's 'badass' name tag, and in fact, I would go as far as to say that this product is just plain ol' bad. 

First impressions were good. The name 'Badass Gel' appealed to the rockstar in me and the beautiful cherry blossom pink gel laid reminiscent to the colour of Snow Fairy Shower Gel, Creamy Candy Bubble Bars and Rose Bubbleroon.   

With both rose water and fresh ginger root being prominent ingredients, I imagined a sweet, sophisticated floral scent mixed with an undertone of nuttiness from the ginger. I thought perhaps the jasmine absolute, juniper berry oil and geranium oil would created a multi-layered floral fragrance that lingered on your skin after a shower. 

Instead what I got, was what smelt like rose petals mixed with stale, muddy water and a faint hint of ginger. To top it all off, the gel itself was as thin as water and didn't lather up at all. 

At first, I thought perhaps I had bought a product that had gone stale. It did have a label telling me that it should have been used by June 2010, and when you're buying rare Lush products, this is definitely something you have to watch out for. 

However, Lush currently offer a ginger body lotion in their retro range, which holds the exact same smell as Badass. So although I might account the consistency of the gel to that of it's sell-by-date, I'm certain that the smell is what it is supposed to be. Which in my mind, is disgusting.

Never have I wanted to throw a Lush product away before now, and the only reason I have stopped myself, is the price I paid for this 500g bottle in the first place. 

If anyone has any experience or opinion on this product, I'd love to hear from you as I feel getting a fresh perspective might help me to understand why Lush thought this was a good idea to release, or why perhaps it was only available for a short bracket of time. 

Remember that one person's rubbish is another person's gold; in other words, what this is to me, might be the most amazingly smelling product to someone else. However, this is not a product I will venture near again, and not one I would recommend to anyone.

Quantitative Ingredients: Fresh Ginger Root Infusion (Zingiber officinale), Rose Water (Rosa centifolia), Sodium Alkyl Sulfate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Fine Sea Salt, Cocamide MEA, Glyceryl Stearate, Glycol Cetearate, White WIne Vinegar(lovey), Lauryl Betaine, Propylene Glycol, Organic Jojoba Oil (Simmondsia chinensis), Mimosa Absolute (Mimosa tenuiflora), Geranium Oil (Pelargonium graveolens), Jasmine Absolute (Jasminum grandiflorum), Rose Otto (Rosa damascena), Ylang Ylang Oil (Cananga odorata), Juniperberry Oil (Juniperus communis), Ginger Oil (Zingiber officinale), Tincture of Benzoin (Styrax benzoin), Limonene, Linalool, Perfume, Colour 18050, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

Vegan?: Yes

2016 Price: £11.25 for 250g.
2017 Price: £11.25 for 250g.

Scent Family:
Badass Gel Shower Gel
Boo Bath Melt and Bubble Bar
Ginger Bath Oil
Ginger Body Lotion
Ginger Liquid Perfume
Lemon Days And Ginger Beer Bath Bomb
Sex N The Shower Emotibomb



1 comment

  1. I personally found it to be okay, The scent isn't great and is definitely lacking in something to really make it appeal to many. I described it as, "Like a mixture of carrots and some flowers". The consistency isn't as watery for me as many seemed to claim it was and the lather was also pretty good for me... So all and all I was kinda disappointed, But the smell is bearable and it's fit for purpose in my case. I just use it a little more sparingly than my favorites!

    ReplyDelete


UP