Recently

1 April 2014

Freeze Shower Gel


I'm going to be honest - mint scented cosmetics bore me to tears. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the smell of Dirty Springwash or Demon In The Dark Shower Gel. However, it's just not a scent that I'm ever going to get truly excited by. 

Freeze was Lush's first minty shower gel, 'packed with refreshing menthol to wake you up, cool you down and blow away the cobwebs.' The shower gel also features peppermint oil, although it is surprising low in the list of ingredients. To set it apart from other generic mint-smelling products, Lush have also included both sweet orange and bergamot oils, to give the minty scent a citrusy uplift and sweetness that you wouldn't necessarily expect. 

What is interesting about this shower gel is that the first two ingredients featured are fresh spring water and sea water - not what you would assume from a shower gel that is relatively thick in the bottle. You can definitely pick out a slight salty undertone in Freeze, but it is mostly masked by the abundance of menthol present in the mix. It is this latter ingredient that dominates the fragrance here, and is what gives it it's 'cool' factor. 

It contains aloe vera to soothe your skin, peppermint which contains menthol to refresh and cool you down, sweet orange oil to revive and bergamot to uplift. I managed to pick up a slight hint of citrus when the shower gel was in the bottle but this is somewhat lost when being used. 

When trying Freeze out in the shower, I found that the gel was super easy to lather up and created a soft, foamy lather in my shower puff. Furthermore, the menthol makes your skin tingle and gives it a coolness which wakes you up and cools you down in hotter weather. I felt that this latter aspect makes it a key candidate to use during the hotter months of the year. However, I found it was too effective to use in the early mornings as the menthol just made me feel really cold. 

The shower gel is a lovely, almost psychedelic blue - very similar in colour to that of Dirty Springwash, which makes it look more like a masculine product. Having said this, the minty smell is universally pleasing so it's not solely for the male consumers to enjoy. It's poignant smell also suits those who would prefer a stronger, harsher smelling shower gel. 
Unfortunately, it's not a smell that I love all that much and would much rather have something fruity or citrusy instead. While I can see this being an amazing shower gel to use after a hot day on the beach, or as a 'pick me up' first thing in the morning, this is not something I would use regularly. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Fresh Spring Water, Fresh Sea Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Fair Trade Organic Aloe Vera Gel, Propylene Glycol, Perfume, Fine Sea Salt, Peppermint Oil, Bergamot Oil, Sweet Orange Oil, Limonene, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Colour 42090, Methylparaben.

Vegan?: Yes.

2015 Price: £9.95 for 250g. 
2016 Price: £10.25 for 250g. 
2017 Price: £11.50 for 250g. 

Year Of Original Release:

Freeze Shower Gel
Ice Blue Shampoo
Ice Blue Soap
Mint Bubble Brush Reusable Bubble Bar

4 comments

  1. Absolute favorite SG! How would you say it compares to Dirty? I've been thinking about getting it as a Freeze backup as it really helps when I have a headache (which is pretty frequently; just in my genetics unfortunately) but I don't know if it would come off too harsh/perfumey as it's spearmint instead of peppermint..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. I love Ice Blue/Freeze, but CANNOT STAND Dirty--it's one of the only Lush scents that makes me actively gag, because of the spearmint, which I loathe.

      Delete
  2. Hi there! Not to be nosy, but i dont recommend dirty. if you see the scent family she listed it with icy blue. To me, icy blue is a sweeter mint smell and i find dirty as being this pure, intense mint smell i think is harsh. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete


UP