Recently

1 August 2019

Good Day Sunshine Soap




Whether it was because I'd only recently watched the film with my class, or because the movie has been such a huge hit over the last couple of years, but when I first saw the design of this soap, it immediately reminded me of the Disney classic, Moana. And yes, that song popped straight into my head from that moment onwards and remained there for the rest of the day.

Good Day Sunshine Soap is one of two brand new soaps to have been added to the regular line recently: initially exclusives for Liverpool but obviously popular enough to have made it into the mainstream. Both Good Day Sunshine and Michelle Ma Belle also happen to be half of a four-piece soap collection influenced by the Beatles, and I only hope that I can get my hands on the other variations in the near future.

What attracted me to this soap was not only its gorgeous bright orange colour, and the fact that the yellow sun design on the front looks like something out of a Mayan engraving, but the fact that it shares its scent with one of my all time favourite bath bombs: Cheer Up Buttercup. If there is one scent that will float your boat this summer, this fragrance is definitely it.
Containing a strong dosage of both lemon, lime and neroli, this gorgeous soap offers a bright, fruity and very refreshing citrusy smell. Yet strangely, the smell that comes out the most here is one of fresh orange juice, with the other elements sitting directly underneath and adding spritzy, uplifting fruity base-notes.

What I loved the most about the smell of this soap however, was the heavy dosage of neroli that came forth as soon as I began using this in the shower. Although far more subtle in the bath bomb format, the green notes of the neroli really bring out a sharp tang to the citrusy notes, and together these ingredients create something that isn't far off the smell of a freshly peeled orange, with the outer skin still attached. Good Day Sunshine is super fresh and fruity and perhaps the perfect scent for the warmer weather that we are experiencing right now.

What is unique about this piece of soap is that the yellow design on the surface has actually been dusted with sodium bicarbonate. This means that the first time you use this soap, the surface fizzes up like a bath bomb and the foam adds a slight tingle to your skin whilst you're washing your body. After the first time, there isn't much left to experience it again. However, it's a nice little touch that gives this soap something a little different to enjoy.  

Lush's statement about this soap is: the dazzling orange, vegan aquafaba base offers notes of sparkling lemon myrtle, zesty lime and uplifting neroli to flip your mood sunny side up, while exfoliating chia seeds offer a delicate polish that leaves skin feeling soft and bright enough to rival the sun. While I wasn't able to see the chia seeds in action, my skin did feel really soft afterwards, so I assume that this was the work of the hidden ingredient. 

What I will say about Good Day Sunshine is that the soap tends to lather up really well the first time but then tends to only produce a sort of thin, orange liquid consecutive uses afterwards. This is not a soap that foams up all that easily. Having said that, I found that the orange 'lather' was very easy to spread across my body and I didn't need to massage the soap for more than a few seconds to produce enough 'soap' to apply to my entire body.
This meant that I was able to place Good Day Sunshine away from the water fairly quickly and preserve as much of the soap as I possibly could. As the soap dried in a fairly moderate amount of time, my piece barely shrunk after using it for a week straight and I can safely say that this should last as long as a regular piece of soap would. Despite this, if you're someone who is less conscious of how much you're using, you may find that this soap shrinks a lot quicker than regular soaps, and this is when the £7 price tag may seem a little excessive.

Once I had rinsed the suds from my skin and relished in the delicious fruity smell that had engulfed my entire bathroom, I was really impressed to discover that the fragrance of this soap also lingered on my skin quite heavily. After towelling myself down, I was able to detect both the fruity element and the green-like undertone quite strongly on my body and my hair, and this stayed with me for a good couple of hours afterwards. 

As if this wasn't enough, my skin also felt really soft and smooth and refreshed, and there was a radiance across my hands and legs that I associate with all of the wonderful citrus oils that are present in the ingredients. If anything, using Good Day Sunshine just reaffirmed why Cheer Up Buttercup is one of my all-time favourite bath bombs, and why I love this scent an awful lot.

While I am grateful that Lush have brought this out as a regular item, it does make me wish that the company would bring out a shower gel, body lotion or body spray in the same fragrance, as that would be simply sublime. Inspired by an iconic band, this soap had a lot to live up to and I honestly think that they have matched that expectation perfectly. This is a wonderful addition to any bathroom and I shall be using this all summer to match the sunshine outside.

Quantitative Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Propylene Glycol, Fair Trade Organic Cocoa Butter, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Glycerine, Organic Castor Oil, Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Hydroxide, Aquafaba, Citric Acid, Lemon Myrtle Oil, Lime Oil, Neroli Oil, Silken Tofu, Chia Seeds, Cream of Tartar, Xanthan Gum, Agar Agar, Titanium Dioxide, Dipropylene Glycol, *Citral, *Limonene, *Linalool, Perfume, Colour 47005, Colour 19140, Colour 15510, Colour 45410:1.

Vegan?: Yes.

2019 Price: £7.00 each.

Year Of Original Release: 2019.


No comments

Post a Comment


UP