Recently

13 December 2013

Sonic Death Monkey Shower Gel


If there's one product that'd win awards for it's name alone, it would be Lush's Sonic Death Monkey Shower Gel. What exactly is a Sonic Death Monkey, you ask? Well, I haven't got the foggiest of ideas but it sounds cool as hell...
On paper, SDM doesn't sound like a shower gel I would be particularly fond of. As I found out with the 13 Rabbits Shower Gel, chocolate isn't a scent I enjoy all that much, aside from the whiff I might get when shoving slabs of vegan chocolate in my mouth. Neither would I proclaim myself a fan of coffee, so there's only really the lime element I would be interested in.

However, there's something about the way that Lush have managed to combine these smells, that mean these scents are able to coincide with each other beautifully. Aside from the chocolate whiff you get, SDM also contains hemp oil which gives it quite an earthy/ heady scent. Then there's the layer of sweet orange, tangerine and lime that brightens up the fragrance and that sets it apart from other chocolate-scented cosmetics. These sweeter tones also manage to tame the bitter after-scent of coffee which would otherwise be quite nasty for non-coffee lovers. 

As well as their fragrant properties, the clever people at Lush have also taken into consideration what these ingredients can do aside from smell good: The use of hemp oils, that are rich in omega-3, help to soften and moisturise your skin, although you do need to give this shower gel a shake before use as the oils somewhat separate the ingredients and can make SDM rather watery. 

Then there's cocoa and coffee that are well known stimulants which help to wake you and your skin up in the morning, alongside the citrus elements which have astringent and restorative properties to heal and smoothen out your complexion.

Due to the addition of different oils in this shower gel, it is a rather heavy shower gel, meaning it does not lather up as nicely as other Lush products do. Coupled with the fact that Sonic Death Monkey is part of the retro range, and priced at a hefty £20 per 500ml bottle, I tend to use this shower gel scrupulously, only when I feel my skin needs that little boost from it's healing properties. 
Overall, this is a unique and wonderful scented shower gel that I only wish they would bring out in other formats. It's probably one of the only chocolate-scented products on the market I enjoy, and I think this is due to the addition of the citrus scent. I would definitely recommend that you grab a bottle before it gets discontinued as there really is nothing like available anywhere else.

Quantitative Ingredients: Ground Coffee, Cocoa and Hibiscus Infusion, Water, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Lauryl Betaine, Perfume, Fresh Organic Lime Juice, Propylene Glycol, Organic Hemp Oil, Tangerine Oil, Sweet Orange Oil, Vanilla Absolute, *Limonene, Methylparaben.

Vegan?: Yes

2015 Price: £11.95 for 250g.
2016 Price: £11.95 for 250g.
2017 Price: £11.75 for 250g.

Scent Family:
Chocolate Whipstick Lip Balm
Heavenly Bodies Buttercream
Sonic Death Monkey Shower Gel


4 comments

  1. Sonic Death Monkey is a reference to the film High Fidelity. It's the name Jack Black's character Barry gives to his new band.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - thanks for the information. The terrible thing is that I've actually watched that film numerous amounts of time and just never picked up on the name :)

      Delete
  2. Managed to grab a bottle as it was still available in the kitchen. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Sonic Death Monkey too, and Heavenly Bodies which smells similar is my very favorite Lush product! It seems like it is either a love it or hate it scent :)

    ReplyDelete


UP