Recently

27 August 2014

Quinquireme Of Ninevah Soap

I'll be honest with you when I say that this is one Lush product I had not heard of before they announced it would be coming out in the kitchen. As soon as I read that it was a coconut soap, I was really excited to try it out. Despite really enjoying I Should Coco, I found there was a little too much desiccated coconut present, which made it more of a scrub than a soap. I was hoping that this particular one would be more gentle on the skin.

Quinquireme of Ninevah Soap is quite a mouthful to say, and to begin with I was unsure where exactly Lush got the name from. Research revealed that the original title was inspired from a John Masefield poem in which he describes the Quinquereme's cargo of precious oils and spices - the Quinquereme being a famous warship used throughout the 4th century to carry goods across the seas

Some of the very ingredients that have gone into making this soap are examples of ingredients once carried by the very ship the product is named after. Coconut oil and creamed coconut give this soap it's wonderful warming aroma, while benzoin resinoid and vanilla absolute adds a natural sweetness that rounds the scent off wonderfully. 

Unfortunately, Quinquireme is not much to look at. Sporting a white design, this soap would look no different next to the likes of Milko, 17 Cherry Tree Lane and Alkmaar. Yet, the smell immediately has you salivating when you remove the wrapper - it's a really strong smelling soap but not so pungent that it prevents you from enjoying it's nutty, creamy essence. Its smell reminds me very much of Curly Wurly Shampoo - I probably shouldn't have to mention that if you dislike coconut, you'll no doubt dislike this. 

In the shower, this soap lathers up a treat and produces a white, creamy liquid that is very easy to lather over your skin. Strangely, I found that once I was massaging this across my body, I began to feel a slightly gritty texture on my skin and on the soap. Despite not containing any of the desiccated coconut that you'd expect in I Should Coco, there still seems to be little specks of coconut threaded throughout this soap. This means that you still get a gentle exfoliation while you're washing yourself but not so much that you don't feel clean afterwards. 

What I enjoyed about using Quinquireme of Ninevah Soap is that it left a gentle aroma on my skin and hair, which lasted for many hours after I had exited the shower. It wasn't so pungent that it clashed with my perfume, but it did offer me little bursts throughout the day, which was lovely. It also left my skin feeling really clean, although I wouldn't say it was all that moisturising. 

The only downfall that I found was that the soap became quite soft when being used and I can see this 100g block shrinking quite quickly if I don't keep it outside the running water. However, it's a really lovely soap and one I would highly suggest you check out, if you enjoy coconut-scented products. This would be an exceptional companion for those much-needed winter showers. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Rapeseed Oil and Coconut Oil, Propylene Glycol, Creamed Coconut, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Hydroxide, Titanium Dioxide, Perfume, Sweet Orange Oil, Benzoin Resinoid, Fair Trade Vanilla Absolute, Glycerine, Sodium Chloride, EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Limonene.

Vegan?: Yes.

2016 Price: £4.25 for 100g.
2017 Price: £4.25 for 100g.

No comments

Post a Comment


UP