Recently

23 December 2015

Christmas Cake Slice Soap


Now that Lush are offering a way for fans to access products from 5, 10 and even 15 years ago, I hope that they use this opportunity to bring out items that may not have seen the light of day for many many moons. Not only would I appreciate being able to try some of the older products from Lush's back catalogue, but it would mean that I would get an opportunity to try fresher versions of products that I have already tried. As a collector, I will often go out of my way to purchase a rare item from eBay or the forum, but sometimes these items are way past their best and it would be wonderful to try them when they're fresh. Such is the case with this soap.

Christmas Cake Slice Soap first made an appearance during the 2007 Christmas range. Described by Lush as being 'like a slice of Christmas cake on a plate next to an open fire of fragrant, smouldering wood logs', this soap promised to be a calorie-free indulgence for those with a sweet tooth. 

Made from a combination of rapeseed, sunflower, coconut, almond, vetivert and cedarwood oil, this limited edition product promises to be a moisturising and rather sensual experience for those who need a little extra indulgence around the holiday season. 

Surprisingly, it is the latter two oils that offer the most dominating smell here. Vetivert oil has a smokey woody note and has a calming soothing effect on the skin; sandalwood is also woody, possessing a spicy element that works to relax the mind and body. Together they produce a fruity, aromatic smell that has similar traits to Snowcake but with a more boozy, masculine smell. This is one product that I can see dividing Lush fans - it's one that will really appeal to some consumers, whereas others will find it rather nasty. 

One of my disappointments with this soap is that it's a very ugly brown colour - nothing like the beautiful multicoloured Christmas Cake that my mum makes. Furthermore, my piece wasn't decorated to look like there was marzipan and icing on the top - which meant that mine resembled something that looked like tobacco resin. Yuck! While I would normally put this down to the way my piece was cut, I have heard from a lot of disgruntled fans that their slices were as unimpressive as mine, and it seems to be quite a regular problem with this particular soap. 

Unfortunately, when I came to use this in the shower, I found that Christmas Cake left a sort of slimy brown goo on my hands, and made very little lather. It's a very waxy soap to hold so when I was using this in the shower, I noticed that there was a build up of brown gunk around the plughole and I had to scrub this away afterwards. The only way I was able to lather this up successfully was by using a shower puff to help me, but then I used almost a third of a 100g chunk in a single standing. This makes this soap very fiddly but not very good value for money either.

Despite all of these issues, my skin did feel rather smooth once I had exited the shower and there was a slight woody smell left on my skin afterwards. However, this faded very quickly and I didn't feel as clean as I would normally do using other soaps/gels/jellies. 

While the productivity of this product may have something to do with it's age, I have received a lot of feedback from other consumers who say that it wasn't that much more impressive when sold fresh. If Lush chose to bring this out again, I would buy another slice, but only to see whether a fresh piece is any more impressive than the one I have been using. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Water, Propylene Glycol, Rapeseed Oil; Sunflower Oil; Coconut Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Sodium Coco-Sulfate, Organic Aloe Vera Extract, Almond Oil, Vetivert Oil, Cedarwood Oil, Sodium Chloride, Cinnamal, Linalool, Colour 42090, Gardenia Extract, Colour 14700, Colour 17200, Titanium Dioxide.

Vegan?: Yes.

2016 Price: £4.50 for 100g







2 comments

  1. It definitely doesn't look very appealing, Amazing review!

    Jess x
    indulgentrose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought this as it came out, 2007, and I think I had a prettier one with the white top, but it didn't impress me either. The smell wasn't very potent and it didn't lather much. It also shrunk very quickly, but I was glad it did because I didn't like very much. Definitely wouldn't buy this one again if it came back sometime.

    ReplyDelete


UP