Recently

26 September 2018

Mud Body Mask



When I was younger, I distinctively remember being obsessed with filling my red bucket with all of the trappings of a dirty garden and then smearing it all over myself. It was probably the most fun I ever in my early years, and I remember how much fun it was for my mum to have to wash me and my clothes afterwards...

However, there is something rather human about caking ourselves in mud. Some like to do it in aid of charity; some just simply find themselves in places where mud is an abundance; and some of us, like myself, enjoy smearing it all over my body and face in the name of good skin. The fact that this particular batch of mud smells like a chocolate cake only serves to make it even more enjoyable. 

Mud is one of two limited edition naked body masks that made their debut release at the Lush Showcase last weekend. While probably overlooked for the prettier bath bombs and more colourful skincare range, I would honestly say that this is probably one of my favourite products of the whole release. There is something rather natural and slightly imperfect about it that makes it that much more appealing.

Let's be honest and say that it's hardly the most attractive of cosmetic products, but that's what I love about it. Crumbly, a little stodgy, and definitely not something that is going to survive any form of transit whatsoever, this limited edition beauty is the underdog that goes above and beyond for your skin, and is the same size as half of a regular bath bomb.

Containing cocoa powder and orange oil, Mud shares its scent with the very popular Cupcake Face Mask, although I should definitely point out that this is far richer and a little fruiter as well. To my nose, it smells of a rich, dark chocolate mousse, covered with a sugary sweet ganache topping. The scent is as foody as they come but that's what makes this product so delicious and decadent.

While it's very crumbly, which I think is something that Lush have definitely got to reformulate before any future release, the product is really easy to use. Between the fingers, Mud is rather squishy and feel similar to the likes of a pastry biscuit that just hasn't been cooked yet. Simply break off a piece between your fingers, add a tiny amount of water and massage the product across your skin.

You'll find that this body mask coats your skin really quickly and you don't need a lot at all to cover your entire body. In fact, unlike other body masks of similar sizes that have come out in the past, this one would probably last a little longer. I can imagine getting a good six full body coverages from a single mound, which is makes it really good value for money.

Once on, try and stay away from the running water for a good five minutes. You may wish to belt out your favourite song; practice your flossing; or even scrub the taps if you're a little bored, before rinsing the body mask away under the shower. You may even wish to apply this for even longer and leave the bathroom for a short while to let the mask do it's magic. However, I would envisage that this would most definitely leave a trail of black around the house and I cannot imagine you'd be feeling as good afterwards, if you had to mop the house up to counteract the mess you've caused.

Once rinsed away, the chocolately smell stays on your skin - offering a warm, comforting aroma that would work well at boosting your mood in the colder months of the year. Furthermore, your skin feel really soft and smooth, even though this doesn't act at all like a scrub, and the inclusion of the rhassoul mud helps to leave your skin feeling really clean and clear as well.

As a tip, I would suggest storing Mud in one of your metal Lush tins so that it saves dropping crumbs all over the bathroom floor every time you wish to use it. This was you can scoop out as little or as much as you wish, and would save the product leaving black splodges all over your bathroom. 

Overall, while the product doesn't look perfect, I really enjoyed the fact that it seemed like a child had created an inedible pie for me. The ingredients featured still did their job at improving the consistency of my skin, and the smell is as delicious as it is rich. I would definitely buy this again if it became a regular product, and I only hope that they'll figure out a way to make this a little sturdier so that there is a possibility that it could make its way into shops. Perhaps wrapped in a leaf would work? 

Quantitative Ingredients: Rhassoul Mud, Sodium Bicarbonate, Glycerin, Sesamum Indicum, Citric Acid, Cocoa Powder, Brazilian Orange Oil, Myrrh Absolute, Vanilla Absolute, Anise Alcohol, Benzyl Salicylate, Coumarin, Eugenol, Limonene, Linalool, Perfume.  

Vegan?: Yes.

2018 Price: £6.50 each (125g.)

Year Of Original Release: 2018.


Scent Family:



No comments

Post a Comment


UP