Recently

27 May 2014

Deep Sleep Shower Jelly


This product has been on my shelf for near enough forever, and it was only when I was doing an inventory recently, that I realised I should have used it sooner. Throughout the beginning of this year, I suffered from a serious bout of insomnia, brought on because of the pressures of my teaching job. After multiple pills were shoved my way, none of which had any effect on my 'one-hour-a-night-habit', I began to think that I'd have to live like this until I collapsed from exhaustion. Thankfully, my sleeping is somewhat more substantial now, but this would have been a great product if I ever needed a natural remedy to bring about a good night's rest. 

Firstly, this jelly is beautiful; a wonderful deep orange colour with just the slightest pearly glisten to make it look that little bit more magical. Deep Sleep has tiny specks of golden glitter sprinkled within the product, which helps it to look just that little bit more appealing in the tub. Don't worry about the glitter through, it doesn't stick to your skin so you don't have to worry about getting covered in plastic lustre. 

Lush describe Deep Sleep Shower Jelly as an 'insomniac's salvation', and I can see why. Made from a combination of chamomile, lavender and just a hint of neroli, this is a shower jelly packed with essential natural ingredients to bring about a subdued state. 
The jelly possesses a very natural-smelling scent, mostly dominated by the lavender. This lavender smell is a strong, aromatic sort of fragrance, very similar to the scent of Lush's Angels On Bare Skin Facial Cleanser. To compliment this, Lush have included a slight orangey scent that comes through when using this jelly in the shower. This just makes the product's fragrance more uplifting and slightly sweet. Furthermore, I can also detect the chamomile smell coming through, which gives the jelly a nice floral and herbal scent. 

Like most of Lush's shower jellies, Deep Sleep contains multiple oils that not only adds to it's overall fragrance, but gives it moisturising properties. Lavender oil is known for it's antiseptic, antibacterial and deodorising effect; Neroli oil helps to improve the tone and texture of the skin. I found that this jelly felt very velvety and I did notice my skin became smoother and softer after using this. 

Unlike other jellies I have tried such as Sweetie Pie and Calacas, this one creates a more oily lather, which makes your skin feel incredible after use. Furthermore, it's quite a thick, elasticated sort of jelly which means you don't have to use as much as you normally would for jellies such as the ones I've mentioned above. Unfortunately, it is this latter point that also makes this product rather difficult to use. I cannot tell you the amount of times I have lost pieces down the drain whilst trying to lather this across my body. It's incredibly annoying.

However, this product does do what it's supposed to do when it comes to helping detox your mind from any worries or stresses that may be preventing you from sleeping. Neroli is one of the few essential oils to be scientifically proven to increase serotonin production in the brain, which enhances your mood and helps you to feel happier and more relaxed. Used alongside lavender oil, which is also supposed to help calm your senses, this jelly really does help you to feel your best and get a good night's sleep.

I can see why Deep Sleep is such a popular product from Lush, and it really does help aide a better night's rest. Despite this, there's still the issue with the wastage that comes with using such a fiddly product, and the smell doesn't stay on your skin, which was disappointing. Furthermore, I found the lavender scent a little overpowering at times, which is why I haven't rated this product as high as I could. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Glycerine, Sunflower Petals Infusion, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Propylene Glycol, Sunflower Seed Infusion, Fresh Organic Orange Juice, Carrageenan Extract, Lavender Oil, Chamomile Oil, Lavender Absolute, Neroli Oil, Linalool, Perfume, Gardenia Extract, Colour 14700, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Radiant Gold Lustre.

Vegan?: Yes.

2015 Price: £7.95 for 250g. 
2016 Price: £7.95 for 250g. 

3 comments

  1. Thanks Jen for the review.
    I love lavender and neroli, so I definitely want to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is the lavender closer to the likes of golden slumbers, twilight, or something else?

    ReplyDelete


UP