Recently

19 January 2015

Queen Of Hearts Soap

The Queen of Hearts is one of the most infamous fictional characters of our time - an impatient tyrant who rules the Wonderland with a heavy hand and has a particular interest in beheading anyone who she disagrees with. How this well-known figure relates to a cosmetic, I'm not sure, but I cannot deny that this is a great name for a soap. 

Queen Of Hearts was a soap that first made it's appearance almost 15 years ago  - a soft, creamy soap designed specifically for those with sensitive or easily irritated skin. With almond oil and cocoa butter to moisturise, and a combination of rose infusion and rose absolute to give it it's beautiful scent, this soap boasts multiple super powers. Furthermore, alongside the inclusion of glycerine, this product shouldn't dry out your skin - in theory. 

To look at, this soap is rather plain - a shade of caramel-brown with strips of white glycerine throughout the middle. On all sides of this soap, I noticed that there seems to be a thin, hardened layer that makes the soap look like it has dried out. However, if you skim this away, you'll see that it's shiny and moist inside. Whether this outer shell was formed because it's dried out over the last few months, or whether it's part of the design, I'm not too sure, but it doesn't make it look very appealing at all. 

Combining rose, violet and geranium has worked well for this soap - it's scent almost mimics that of what fresh roses smell like. It gives off a wonderfully natural, fresh flower fragrance, with just a subtle powdery element that helps to keep it's scent on your skin for many hours after you have used it. It's not a sweet rose scent like Lush's Rose Jam collection, it's more like the latest incarnation of Charity Pot, but stronger. 

What I didn't realise about this soap before I started using it, is that it's been designed as more of a facial soap, although it can be used across your entire body if you choose. Unlike other complexion soaps that I have used in the past, this one isn't as soft or as easy to lather, and this is probably my biggest complaint with Queen of Hearts

Despite ensuring my hands and the soap were properly lubricated under the running water, it was rather difficult to get any sort of a lather going, even when I massaged the block between my hands. I found that after rubbing the soap between my palms, I was able to get a little oily residue but not enough to clean much more than part of an arm or my face. Furthermore, the amount of effort I had to put into getting the pathetic amount of lather I did, it put me off rubbing this soap directly on my face - I can imagine it irritating my complexion quite a bit if I was to do this. 

In it's favour, a 250g piece of Queen of Hearts lasted me almost six months, which is rather impressive. For those that love this soap, it's definitely one of the longer lasting one and works out great value for money because of this. Unfortunately, I didn't work for me and even though I loved it's scent, it's not a product I would want to invest in again. Despite it's name, it certainly didn't win over my heart. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Rose Infusion (Rosa centifolia), Vegetable Soap, Glycerine, Almond Oil (Prunus dulcis), Cocoa Butter (Theobroma cacao), Perfume, Geranium Oil, Rose Absolute, Violet Leaf Absolute, Stearic Acid, Triethanolamine, Cetearyl Alcohol (wax), Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

Vegan?: Yes.

3 comments

  1. hey jen! i was wondering if you still had a piece of this im desperately in search of it since its the perfect face cleanser for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! I'm afraid I don't - I don't tend to keep my soaps too long because I prefer shower gels. Let's hope it makes an appearance in the kitchen soon!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for taking time to reply! I really do hope it pops up in the kitchen because I'm running dangerously low :(

      Delete


UP