Recently

10 December 2018

Calm Down Scalp Milk



I always struggle to comprehend how I’m going to review a product that has been designed to target a condition that I simply don’t have. How can I really test the efficiency of an item designed for greasy skin or flaky scalps, when I don’t suffer from either of these two aliments?

Usually I am able to find other uses for the product, which I can then suggest to other consumers; and sometimes I’m able to foresee how something will work based on how my skin/hair has reacted to it. However, this does mean that my reviews of these products can never be as accurate as I would like them to be, and this Lush Showcase exclusive is one of those examples.

Calm Down Scalp Milk is a product designed specifically for irritated, itchy and dry heads. The generous inclusion of rose water allows this milk to calm the scalp and reduce any irritation, whilst the salicylic acid gets to work at using its  antimicrobial properties to remove anything that may be causing the irritation in the first place.

As if this wasn't enough, the scalp milk also contains witch hazel to clean and refresh the skin on your scalp; menthol crystals to soothe, cool and offer a very light tingling sensation afterwards; and an abundance of coconut oil to rehydrate and moisturise the pores and the hair.

Smell wise, it is the cade oil that makes the biggest impression - offering a very strong (but strangely not potent) smoky smell. The inclusion of both the tonka absolute and marshmallow root decoction then adds a sweet scent as well, which although different, does smell very similar to the likes of All Good Things Liquid Perfume. Much like I described that fragrance, this one also smells like Snow Fairy turning rebellious.

To use this, the idea is that you apply it in between shampooing and conditioning, and it immediately gets to work at soothing and pampering the scalp. Simply wash out your shampoo; squirt this onto your fingertips; massage into your scalp; and then apply your conditioner before rinsing it all out and patting your hair down. 

What I found was that my head felt really soft and clean immediately after using the milk, and there was a slight tingling sensation from the menthol crystals, although it wasn't particularly strong enough to notice it for very long afterwards. The scent itself stayed on my scalp/hair for a short time while my hair was drying, but this soon dissipated when my locks were bone dry.

Although it's designed for the scalp, I found that the condition of my hair improved a little after a week of using Calm Down every day, and I genuinely believe that this was from the condition of my pores improving and sending added moisture throughout my hair. My locks felt straighter and not as dry and frizzy, and I was able to wear my hair down without much prior preparation.

To test it out, I also applied Calm Down to my locks and left the milk to work its magic overnight. In fact, this would be a great weekly task for anyone with a sensitive scalp, as I would wake to find my head and hair just feeling 'more alive.' I know this is a terrible way to describe my experience, and it probably doesn't help you at all. However, my scalp just felt different and in a good way, which is why I have a good feeling that this would work magic on those who actually have itchy or sensitive scalps.

Finally, I also found that you could apply Calm Down to your hair like any other balm or spray and it left my locks looking shinier, as well as bringing out my natural highlights a little more in the process. What I was left with was a head of hair that felt well-pampered and beautiful, and I genuinely believe that this could help my hair to grow a little quicker because of how amazing my scalp would function after having this applied once a week.

Overall, I honestly cannot say whether or not this scalp milk would be effective at treating and reducing itching and irritation. However, my hair and head feel much better for using Calm Down, and the way that my scalp has been feeling makes me truly believe that this will perform exactly as it states it does on the bottle.     

Quantitative Ingredients: Marshmallow Root Decoction (Althaea officinalis), Rose Water (Rosa damascena), Propylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate & PEG-100 Stearate, Glycerine, Perfume, Cetearyl Alcohol, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (Cocos nucifera), Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Olea europaea), Safflower Oil (Carthamus tinctorius), Cedarwood Absolute (Cupressus funebris), Rose Oil (Rosa damascena), Tonka Absolute (Dipteryx odorata), Cade Oil (Juniperus oxycedrus), Menthol crystals (Menthol), Witch Hazel Extract (Hamamelis virginiana), Tincture of Benzoin (Styrax benzoin), Salicylic Acid, Piroctone Olamine, Phenoxyethanol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Benzyl Alcohol, Alpha-Isomethyl ionone, *Citral, *Citronellol, *Coumarin, *Eugenol, *Farnesol, *Geraniol, *Limonene, *Linalool.

Vegan?: Yes. 

2018 Price: unsure.

Year Of Original Release: 2018.


Scent Family:
All Good Things Liquid Perfume
All Good Things Solid Perfume
Calm Down Scalp Milk

Soak N' Float Solid Shampoo



2 comments

  1. Hi,
    I was surfing the web and ended up on your post. Really enjoyed reading it. Thank you for sharing such an awesome post. Will be seeing around ! :)

    Regards

    Apu

    My Blog : https://apu922177.tumblr.com/post/651370412872187904/hair-replication-studio-hrs-goes-above-and

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice post all styles you listed are too nice and quite different then simple one i like this post and all the pics. Thank you for sharing best hair salon in bachupally.

    ReplyDelete


UP