Recently

29 June 2016

Plum Rain Shower Gel


When Lush bring out a brand new product, you'd assume that it would build excitement and intrigue for the majority of Lushies across the globe. However, as of late I feel as if these emotions have been replaced with the likes of disappointment and frustration at times. Not to sound overly dramatic, because ultimately they are just cosmetics, but I can relate to the annoyance of knowing your favourite brand has brought out a new product and you're simply unable to access it. 

As someone who lives a tube ride away from the flagship store, I am what some consider, among the lucky ones. The mere thought of living too far away to make regular visits, is a horrible thought to endure, and one that I hope I never have to experience. With the sudden release of Plum Rain Shower Gel last week, it just brought home to me how very privileged I am right now.

While nothing has been stated officially from Lush, my guess is that this product is somewhat of a tribute to the late musician, Prince. Sporting a vivid, rich and very sultry shade of purple, this product is stunning through and through, and it just so happens that the fragrance is rather spectacular as well.

Interestingly, the ingredient that makes up the base of this shower gel is an umeboshi infusion - a component that hasn't featured in an awful lot of Lush products, and definitely hasn't acted as the key ingredient in any of the company's previous shower gels. This means that Plum Rain stands out as being very different from all of its predecessors, in both scent and texture.

Umeboshi, which translates as 'Japanese Salt Plums', is a popular pickled fruit - one unique in the fact that its taste is both sweet, sour and salty, all at the same time. What makes this ingredient extra special is that its texture, taste and smell sits somewhere in-between a plum and an apricot, and it is this very element that you pick up straight away from the bottle.

From the bottle, the fragrance is very sickly but naturally fruity, and definitely has a strong element of plum to it. When I first sniffed this, it reminded me somewhat of stewed red plums, without the addition of any sugar to mask the natural sour element of the fruit. The more I used the shower gel, the more I recognised the slight resemblance to Welch's Red Grape juice, and I could almost place specific elements of the smell to that of the Capri Sun juice drinks I used to enjoy as a child.

In regards to my comparisons above, I will state that Plum Rain is definitely on the plum side as opposed to smelling of grapes. However, for those who have smelled the aforementioned beverage, you should hopefully understand when I describe the drink as being 'dry, fruity and slightly sour on the senses'. This is not a smell that has made its presence known by Lush before - this is a brand new invention, and one that can't really be compared to any other of the company's gels and creams.

How this shower gel also stands out from the crowd is that the consistency is incredibly thick - easily on par with Butterball but more elasticated and far more generous when it comes to its lather. This product needs very little with each use - a factor that makes the Oxford Street exclusive great value for money and one that I reckon will see me through a year before I need to replace.

In the shower, this beauty lathers up a treat - producing a thick, fragrant foam that coats the skin with ease and leaves you feeling beautiful all over. As I stated above, you need very little with each use; I found that an amount the size of a large raisin will easily coat half of my body and leave me feeling clean and refreshed. My only qualm with Plum Rain is that I found the scent didn't cling to the skin like other Lush gels are known to do, and given how beautifully juicy the fragrance is, I would have hoped I could have worn it around for a while after showering.

Aside from its wonderful smell, its unique consistency and its utility in the shower, the ingredients featured are also highly beneficial to the skin, making this an all-round great product. Umeboshi is known for its ability to reduce the feelings of fatigue and supports the immune system to rid the body of coughs and colds; mandarin oil uses its citrus powers to brighten the skin and revive your senses, so it's an well-rounded crowd pleaser.

Overall, this shower gel is so different from anything that Lush have brought out before, and is so refreshingly unique that I have fallen head over heels in love with it. The colour, the smell, the productivity - this shower gel is a blanket of warming, fruity smells - perfect to brighten your summer days, yet equally comforting in the colder months. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Umeboshi Infusion, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Glycerine, Water, Lauryl Betaine, Perfume, Limonene, Fresh Plum Juice, Osmanthus Absolute, Petitgrain Oil, Sicilian Mandarin Oil, Lactic Acid, Carrageenan Extract, Linalool, Colour 17200, Colour 42090.

Vegan?: Yes.

Year of Original Release: 2016.

2017 Price: £5.50 for 100g, £10.95 for 250g, £18.50 for 500g, £32.95 for 1kg.

Scent Family:
Hedgewitch Soap
Plum Pudding Bath Melt
Plum Rain Body Spray
Plum Rain Naked Shower Gel
Plum Rain Shower Gel
Plum Snow Bubble Bar
Ticket To Scrub Salt Scrub


  


25 comments

  1. Sounds like it smells lovely, and the colour is beautiful! Wish I could try it out myself but I'm glad you enjoyed (:

    Jess x
    indulgentrose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Jen! as soon as I read about it I knew I had to hear what you thought :-) Ive got a 100g bottle coming, it sounds really interesting and gorgeous -cant wait to try it!! love your reviews xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. "as of late I feel as if these emotions have been replaced with the likes of disappointment and frustration at times."

    well said!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do wonder why they don't make the Oxford Street exclusives available online? Is it that they wouldn't be able to create large volumes, or they wan't the flagship store to remain special? Or maybe they just want a way to test out the products with a smaller cross section, before unleashing it to the world. Who knows. I just wish I lived closer to London, or that Virgin trains weren't extortionate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They said something along the lines of "products from the flagship store are to help you remember your visit" to me when I emailed them for a list of exclusives and to ask about Plum Rain. That's all well and good but I live 100 miles away from London. They should have their own website maybe they would make loads of money of people who can't access the store, I think any way

      Delete
  5. "Crowd pleaser", haha!
    Thanks for the review, I hope they will make it in the Kitchen soon because I love the smell of plums and this shower gel sounds like it could become a favourite of mine. As an Austrian, I have to wait and hope. But I'm patient. Gnaaaah ...!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hopefully we'l get this beauty in Czech Republic soon, but as we are a very small market, I doubt that :( well, at least you can enjoy it in my stead. Oh, and thank you for your amazing blog- I appreciate the work you are putting into this. Love, Kate

    ReplyDelete
  7. It just happened that I was in London by the time it has launched and managed to get a small bottle for myself and I agree with you, it's amazing! I do hope it'll at least pop up in the kitchen at some point, because more people should be able to try it

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to get my hands on this next time I am in London.

    Great review Jen!

    mercedeslois.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. You lucky duck. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my Gosh I am one of them people who feels sad that they cannot access the Oxford Street exclusives as easily as some. :P This shower gel sounds beautiful, and I would love to pick one up next time I'm in London!

    https://theremightbecoffee.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why are you calling someone names on a blog about shower gel?! You seriously need to get a grip!! Love this blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not actually possible love. If you wondering why she is deleting your comments it's probably because you seem like a most objectionable and horrid person. Congratulations anon of Internet,sure that's what you want to project anyway.

      Delete
  12. A response I would expect from the likes of you. And you have the audacity to wonder why she would delete your abusive comments?! Believe it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, we get it. You know how to use "bad words". Grow up already, sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's in the kitchen next week! I need to get it!! You make it sound amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So excited that this is in the kitchen on Monday... breaking my ban for this

    ReplyDelete

  17. Ooh, I can only envision how wonderful this would be! It seems like the embodiment of sugar plums.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I cracked and bought a bottle for an extortionate amount off ebay as my 'last lush purchase' for a while before the new menu was announced... and they brought it out today for a reasonable sum.
    Gutted, but i guess i learnt to just wait and see rather than presuming they wouldn't bring it out in the kitchen! Expensive lesson though.

    ReplyDelete
  19. YAY after reading your review, I quickly ordered some from the Kitchen ^^

    ReplyDelete
  20. Totally agree about the lack of long lasting scent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love the smell but I want it to cling to my skin not just smell nice for 2 seconds

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on that aspect of the shower gel, so I use it in my hair. The smell stays there and smells wonderful.

      Delete
  21. Could you list the prices/sizes of this shower gel? I have a family member going to London and she asked if I wanted anything from Oxford Street this is top of my list and I need to know how much coin to give her! Thanks :))

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing such beautiful information with us. I hope you will share some more information about hairs.Please keep sharing.
    Plum Juice Benefits For Skin

    ReplyDelete


UP