Recently

10 June 2018

Great Bear Bath Bomb



By now you must know my thoughts on all of Lush’s campaign products: I simply cannot get enough of these one-off releases. While they can sometimes cause me to feel a little anxious if they’re not sold in my country, I have yet to miss one due to the generosity of the Lush community. This is why I ended up with almost twenty Great Bears, after North America offered this as part of their huge ‘Ban The Trophy Hunt’ campaign.

What is great about this bath bomb is that 100% of the profit were donated to Lush’s Grizzy Grants Fund, which is one of the ways that the company are doing their bit to protect and fund the ban on hunting bears across the whole of North America. One way in which they’re hoping to make an impact is through a documentary that they’re currently making - a venture that I hope sees the light of day soon.

Sharing its scent with Guardians Of The Forest, this bath bomb doesn’t offer an experience anywhere near as colourful or as interesting as its older sibling. However, the knowledge that the profits from this bomb have gone to such a good cause, is enough to make me appreciate sharing the tub with this wonderful limited edition.

What Great Bear does offer is a strong scent that fills your entire bathroom and lingers on your skin for a long time post bath. Containing rosewood and cypress oils, the fragrance is very much an acquired taste - one that I would describe as being very green and earthy. If you dislike potent smells, you may wish to avoid this one like the plague.

Cypress oil is known for its warm evergreen scent, which is definitely one of the key notes present here; oakmoss on the other hand has more of a herbaceous and rather mossy aroma and this is also distinctive in the overall smell of this product. Both of these ingredients work really well together - creating a gentle but very defined smell that reminds me a little of forest-dwelling plants on a warm, spring day. 

The addition of rosewood, which adds a subtle spicy, woody smell to the mix, makes the scent of this bath bomb one of many layers. In the packet, I could detect the dry but slightly sweet oakmoss aroma. However, once the bath bomb had fully dissolved, the cypress oil and rosewood came forward more and created a fragrance that reminded me very much of green tea. 

What sets this apart from its green counterpart is that is contains baking soda - a component that causes this bath bomb to foam up quite dramatically when it hits the water. Although the white design already tells you that your bath will lack any sort of colour, I really liked how relaxed I felt when I was able to submerge myself under the water and watch the bath bomb float across the surface, expelling clouds of froth as it went.

Once it had fully dissolved, I could feel how soft the water had become and I enjoyed how smooth my skin felt, even before I had used any products. As I mentioned above, I also appreciated the gentle earthy smell that stayed with me after I had towelled myself down, and this is one bath bomb that you can rely on to NOT leave any mess in the tub afterwards. Glitter haters will no doubt be rejoicing!

Although this wouldn’t be popular as a regular release - the design speaks for itself, as a limited edition campaign product, this is definitely one I would buy again if I could. While the cause is strictly about North America, it would have been nice of Lush to expand the release of this worldwide, as I can imagine they would have raised a lot more for such an important cause.

Quantitative Ingredients: Sodium Bicarbonate, Citric Acid, Cypress Oil (Cupressus sempervirens), Lime Oil (Citrus aurantifolia), Rosewood Oil (Aniba rosaeodora), Oak Moss Absolute (Evernia Prunastri), Cream Of Tartar (Potassium bitartrate) Water (Aqua), Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Lauryl Betaine, Perfume, Amyl Cinnamal, Benzyl Salicylate, Citronellol, Benzyl Benzoate, Limonene, Linalool.

Vegan?: Yes.

2017 Price?: $6.95 each.

Year Of Original Release: 2017.

Scent Family: 



No comments

Post a Comment


UP