Recently

16 May 2018

Poppy Soap



There is something very alluring about the poppy flower: something quite poignant that comes from its association with the battlefields of World War One. The idea of Lush meadows full of vibrant red flowers with their little black centres - swaying in the breeze - is such a calming image. Unfortunately, it is very rare that I ever get to experience these beautiful species in person myself, so I often have to rely on the less interesting poppy seeds being sprinkled on my breakfast.

Having said that, these crunchy little black pellets have amazing qualities that boost the condition of your nails, hair and skin. Aside from the extensive list of health benefits, these little gems are known for not only helping to treat and reduce inflammation, but also to clean and moisturise the body so that the natural vibrance is returned to your skin.

In the case of Poppy Soap, these beauties do both of these through a gentle form of exfoliation. As the soap is being lathered over your body, you'll feel the gentle scratching of these seeds, which clean out the pores without irritating the skin and then helps to moisturise the body so that it feels and looks soft to the touch.

While I am a huge fan of The Comforter, I'll be honest and say that I don't always feign much enthusiasm for new products coming out with the same scent. Most of the time I end up really enjoying them but I think it's down to the format as to whether a product blows me away or not. The fact that Poppy is a soap was a little off-putting at first. However, I cannot deny that the design of this limited edition is perhaps the most beautiful piece of soap that Lush have released in years. 

With blackcurrant, bergamot and cypress oils, I was expecting the usual creamy combination that I've found with most products in the Comforter range. What makes the smell of Poppy stand aside from a lot of Comforter scents is that there is something rather decadent and delicate about the way the blackcurrant aroma intertwines with the creamy, powdery elements alongside it. There is something very light but creamy about the smell of this soap, and I was  amazed that I could detect almost an element of sweet cherries about the product in the shower. 

Lush fans have always wondered what the difference was between Sweetie Pie and The Comforter Shower Jellies, and while I tried my best to differentiate between the two, I definitely think this soap has components that link it more to the former than the latter. While not as strong in scent as either jelly, there is something rather 'comforting' about the delicate nature of this soap,   

The smell of this product is super sweet while also having a slight sugary element to it as well. There is almost something vanilla-like about the afterthought of this fragrance, which as I said in my review of the body conditioner, gives it a smell reminiscent of a blackcurrant compote on top of a cheesecake base. It's quite simply delicious!

wouldn't say that Poppy Soap is the most generous of latherers and it actually works better when stimulated between between your palms first. However,  because of the inclusion of the seeds for exfoliation, you'll probably want to massage it directly onto the area of skin that you're wanting to clean. This will generate a light and very fruity foam that you can clean yourself with with ease.

You don't need to keep massaging this to create surplus soap as the lather it does create is really easy to massage across a large area of space. For this reason, Poppy Soap has lasted me a good while, and I can easily see it lasting between 2-3 months with daily use. In between showers, you'll need to pat this down and store it somewhere dry as it has a tendency to leave red puddles wherever it's been sitting.

Overall, this is a wonderfully designed soap with a gorgeous scent and a little exfoliation as an added bonus. This would no doubt sell really well in Lush stores across the country, and indeed the globe, and I cannot imagine #lushlabs being  the last time this will make an appearance for the company.    

Quantitative Ingredients: Propylene Glycol, Water (Aqua), Chia Seed Gel, Fair Trade Organic Cocoa Butter, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Organic Castor Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Perfume, Bergamot Oil, Blackcurrant Absolute, Cypress Oil, Poppy Seeds, Glycerine, Titanium Dioxide, Citric Acid, Sodium Bicarbonate, *Limonene, *Linalool, Colour 14700, Colour 17200.

Vegan?: Yes.

2018 Price: £6.95 for 120g.

Year Of Original Release: 2018.





No comments

Post a Comment


UP