Recently

28 October 2013

Soot Ball Bath Ballistic


When I first heard that Lush were having a 'Spirited Away' themed Halloween, I didn't know what to expect. I have never seen the film myself, and although I recognise that it has a large cult following, I was more concerned with the scents and designs that would be on offer from my favourite company.

As it happened, when the products went on general sale, I was not initially bowled over by any of the bath bombs aside from Lord of Misrule. Furthermore, having carried out research on all of the Halloween range, I was rather dubious about trying Soot Ball, as there were a lot of complaints made from consumers about various aspects of the product.  

When I first saw Soot Ball, the first thing that concerned me was it's colour. With it's powdery black exterior, reminiscent of coal, it's a rather intimidating ballistic and I was worried about it staining either my bath tub or myself while in use. 

Initially, I was slightly relieved to find that Lush had addressed my concerns in their write-up, stating that the bomb would not turn my bath water black - instead giving me the experience of 'bathing in luxurious liquid gold'. Wow, I thought, this will be definitely be an interesting experience if Lush have pulled this one off. 

However, I was very disappointed to find that my concerns were justified - the bath bomb dissolved in the tub to leave a murky, sewage-green coloured water. Furthermore, after having my bath, I found that the bomb had stained my finger and toe nails and left a grey residue around the edge of my tub, which took quite a while to remove. 

Although Soot Ball released it's golden lustre as it was dissolving, the resulting colour and experience was disappointing and it did absolutely nothing for my skin. In fact, this is probably one of the first bath bombs that has left my skin noticeably dry after use.

Despite this, I cannot fault the scent at all. The addition of olibanum (frankincense) gives the ballistic a balsamic-sweet fragrance, whilst the burnt caramel scent of tonka absolute and earthy sandalwood oil together create a sweet, spicy scent. I do hope that Lush are able to revamp this ballistic and bring it back in another form, as the smell is both unique and exciting. However, I would not recommend anyone trying the bath bomb in this form. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Sodium Bicarbonate, Citric Acid, Tonka Absolute, Australian Organic Sandalwood Oil, Fair Trade Columbian Cocoa Butter, Fair Trade Shea Butter, Cream of Tartar, Olibanum Resinoid, Benzoin Resinoid, Gardenia Extract, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Lauryl Betaine, PEG-6 Caprylic / Capric Glycerides, & PEG-60 Almond Glycerides, *Coumarin, *Limonene, Benzyl Benzoate, Perfume, Colour 77499, Colour 15510, Radiant Gold Lustre (Potassium Aluminium Silicate, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides), Paper Eyes.

Vegan?: Yes







1 comment

  1. I really loved soot ball. I wish I had gotten more, as I absolutely adored the scent and the theme- although I must admit, it didn't stain my bath a bit. Just like Dark Angels cleanser does :)

    ReplyDelete


UP