Recently

20 March 2018

Self Esteem Machine Body Spray


What would be your Self Esteem Machine, I was once asked: a question that took me a little while to process and an even longer amount of time to answer. While I don't wish to share my answer at this moment in time, it was one that made sense when it finally popped into my head. 

Self Esteem Machine Body Spray was not a product that I planned to rush out and buy when it made itself known. While I really enjoyed the experience of using the Liquid Perfume, I wouldn't say that it was one that stood out as a personal favourite, and until recently had been sat on my shelf untouched. However, after my visit to Lush's pop-up Volume 4 gallery in Edinburgh, my opinion as well as my excitement for the fragrance changed dramatically, and the body spray has now become a staple.

Made from a collaboration of mandarin and grapefruit oils, you'd be mistaken for thinking that this one is in any way citrusy. Not only would I never describe Self Esteem Machine as being particularly fruity, it is also certainly not anywhere near as juicy as I was originally expecting it to be.

Firstly, what made me fall in love with the body spray even more than the liquid perfume is that it is less compact and therefore less intense on the skin. While I normally expect and want my fragrances to be both strong and withstanding, the reservation of this one allows the scent to breathe a little when in use. This makes it far more refreshing and helps the key ingredients to pronounce themselves a little better, which only better the experience in my eyes.

On the skin, both the mandarin and grapefruit oils dance beautifully in unison to create a light, fruity fragrance. The grapefruit loses its tart, citrusy element and instead offers a crisp burst of flavour that reminds me a little of tinned fruit you can buy in the supermarket. The mandarin wraps itself around these notes and thickens the fragrance: adding an almost syrupy element to the perfume, whilst still holding back some of the sweetness you find in the likes of 1000 Kisses Deep.

Together, there is a level of sophistication that you wouldn't necessarily expect from this combination. There is something rather mature about this pairing - something that I think is helped by the inclusion of the vanillary note. While I wouldn't say that there is a strong note of vanilla in the overall smell, the inclusion of this ingredient does have an impact, and gives the scent a gentle dusting of sweetness, which I'd compare to that of a cloud of icing sugar, albeit not as sweet.

Self Esteem Machine is a crisp, refreshing blend of smells - one that is far more sophisticated than you would expect from the ingredients used to create it. It would be complimentary to wearers of all ages, as it is both light and airy for the younger users, while also being strangely complex for the older consumers. This one is perfect for those of you who like reserved fruity smells but are looking for something a little 'more'.  

What is great about this body spray is that it's longevity is just as impressive as the perfume variation. While it is not as intense as the Liquid fragrance, it lingers on the skin for the same length of time. In fact, I could still smell it on my skin and clothes 4-5 hours after it had been initially sprayed.

Self Esteem Machine is a great perfume to wear during the change of seasons. Although it compliments the warmer weather as there is something quite cooling about the smell, it's also light and complex enough to suit those damp and slightly less pleasant days. 

Overall, this body spray has become one of those products that I use multiple times per week, and I cannot see that changing any time soon. My bottle will no doubt need to be replaced far sooner than most of the other body sprays I own, but it's worth it, knowing how good I smell. 

Quantitative Ingredients: DRF Alcohol, Water (Aqua), Perfume, Glycerine, Sicilian Mandarin Oil, Grapefruit Oil, Vanilla Absolute, *Benzyl Benzoate, *Cinnamal, *Citral, *Coumarin, *Geraniol, *Limonene, *Linalool, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone Butylphenyl, Methylpropional Hydroxyisohexyl 3-cyclohexene carboxaldehyde.

Vegan?: Yes.

2017 Price: £29 for 200ml.

Year Of Original Release: 2017.



3 comments

  1. Hi! I was just wonder if you had any recommendations to pair with B Scent perfume? I've been wearing it a lot lately this Spring. It's one of my favorite perfumes! I really like to layer with lush stuff and Nkt sure what I could pair with B Scent. I considered Ectoplasm but I tried a sample & that artificial candy smell is not for me! Looking for something maybe to bring out the Grapefruit notes in BScent maybe? I'm considering Spacegirl & maybe Winter Garden too. Anything you can think of? Love your blog BTW. THANKS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Or Self Esteem machine too I'm thinking? Figured I'd ask the expert!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sparkly Pumpkin also has grapefruit notes too. I've never tried any of these & don't live near a lush store either which is probably a good thing for me haha

    ReplyDelete


UP