Recently

7 February 2015

Bubblegrub Bubbleroon


For those who don't know me, the thought of a Lush product coming out that is based upon a children's book, is probably the greatest thing to ever happen. While that last statement may serve as evidence of how little I've actually 'lived', the truth of the matter is that my obsession with children's literature, combined with my obsession with Lush, had me very excited when I first read about this item.

Bubblegrub Bubbleroon is easily the cutest Lush invention to date - a sparkly orange and green bubble bar with white chocolate buttons for eyes and dried vanilla pods for antennas. Based on the popular picture book, The Hungry Caterpillar, this is a rich and very soothing new addition to the Mother's Day range. 
Sharing it's scent with the Creme Anglais family - which features the now-discontinued body lotion and Three Gold Rings Bubble Bar that was released in the Lush Kitchen recently, this wonderfully unique collaboration of sweet and woody elements is a feast for the senses. 

Despite this latter statement, I wouldn't say that Bubblegrub is an exact replica of the above products - there is something rather earthy about it's fragrance that gives it an extra smoky layer unlike anything else I have ever come across before. My nose picks up elements of both Quinquireme Of Ninevah Soap and Rainbow Worrier in this little fella, making it a well-rounded product in my eyes.

Made from a combination of vetivert and sandalwood oil, with tonka absolute to boot, this bubbleroon is a sweet but smoky offering from Lush. The latter ingredient is what gives it it's nutty, vanillary and rather coconutty fragrance. Known to ease joint pain, the tonka also relaxes your muscles while encasing you in a rich, velvety-smooth aroma. Perfect.

The vetivert oil adds an earthy and rather smoky note to the whole experience  - an element that isn't initially very strong but one that makes itself known when the bubbleroon has been crumbled in the tub. Sandalwood oil brings all of these smells together - complimenting the vetivert while also softening the wood element and giving it a fresh, pleasant twist. 
Although I used the entirety of Bubblegrub in my video, this product could easily be divided into two halves and used across multiple baths. Both pieces produced an impressive amount of bubbles in the tub and turned the water into a silky-soft and very creamy haven. 

When used separately, both of the two halves changed the colour of the water - offering either a bright green or warming orange colour; when used together, the water turned a lovely spring-green - very fitting for the time of year that these beauties are available!
Packed full of shea butter, which is used to cement the two halves of the bubbleroon together, not to mention the many oils that make up it's aroma, this bubbleroon is seriously nourishing on the skin. I was only in the bath tub for a few minutes before I was able to notice how soft and supple my skin felt - it completely cured my hands of the dry patches they had been burdened with before the experience and left my skin feeling well-nourished and pampered. 

While I was surprised to find that the aroma didn't linger very long on my skin, I was impressed to discover how prominent the scent of this bubbleroon was throughout the entire hour I was in the bath. The water in particular had a very rich, smoky fragrance that remained until the end.

Looking at Bubblegrub Bubbleroon wouldn't immediately lead you to believe that it could possess such a rich, multi-layered and fragrant experience. However, I do enjoy being surprised and this is one of those items that knocked my socks off when I was least expecting it to. I will definitely be buying a few more of these before they are discontinued and I would recommend that you try one out for yourself. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Sodium Bicarbonate, Cream of Tartar, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Organic Shea Butter, Lauryl Betaine, Cornflour, Perfume, Vetivert Oil, Tonka Absolute, Sandalwood Oil, Citric Acid, Laureth 4, Coumarin, Gardenia Extract, Colour 19140, Colour 15510, Colour 42090, Green Lustre, Dried Fair Trade Vanilla Pod, White and Dairy-Free Chocolate Drops.

Vegan?: Unfortunately not.

2015 Price: £2.95 each.
2017 Price: £3.50 each.

Original Year of Release: 2015.

Scent Family:
Bubblegrub Bubbleroon
Creme Anglais Body Lotion
Glorious Mud Body Mask
Pot O' Gold Shower Jelly

Three Gold Rings Bubble Bar





9 comments

  1. Can't wait to stock up on the Mother's Day things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really hope this doesn't ruin this for you but according to the website it doesn't look like this one is vegan!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ryan - I noticed that this only had the vegetarian symbol when I went into the store but I had a little chat with one of the managers and neither of us could work out what stops this from being vegan. I even came home and researched all of the ingredients and nothing came up as being non-vegan. If someone can shed some light, I would appreciate this!

      Delete
  3. I looked up Colour 42090and it comes up as brilliant blue coloring which is made with Petroleum which isn't vegan. I'm vegan too and I wanted to try this little buddy but I guess I won't be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! That's very helpful - thank you for the information! Well I've tried it now so I'll keep the review up but I guess I'll have to make it known it's not vegan. How annoying!

      Delete
    2. My suspicion would have been the white chocolate buttons. The way it's phrased on the website is clumsy but I think it's talking about dairy free chocolate buttons AND white chocolate buttons, rather than chocolate buttons that are white and dairy free.

      Delete
  4. I love seeing the excitement of a fellow teacher friend over this cute little guy ha :) I can't wait to order one and try him out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just noticed that the secret garden bath bomb has the same color that is not vegan. I do think it's marked as vegan on LUSH though. So annoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! That is so annoying! They really need to be more careful when they're labelling because unless there's something really obvious in the ingredients list that makes it non-vegan, I rely on them labelling it correctly! :( Thank you so much for the heads up!

      Delete


UP