Recently

19 April 2016

Too Drunk To **** Emotibomb



Emotibombs have always been a strange concept to me. As someone who would opt for a bath over a shower any day, I have never understood why you'd want to fork out money for a product that appears to have very little worth in the great scheme of things. As my flatmate stated yesterday, it appears as if you're quite literally washing your money down the drain, and until I gave this particular item a whirl earlier this week, I was under the same consensus.

Too Drunk is the censored version of an emotibomb named after a Dead  Kennedy's song - a strange-looking disc of sodium bicarbonate that depicts what appears to be a tribal face with a vegan chocolate eye. Measuring roughly 6cm in length and a little less in width, this disc of fragrance is definitely not one that shies away in both scent and productivity.

Designed to be the 'pick me up' we all need after a brutal night out, this limited edition is for when your head feels heavy and your stomach is dancing the waltz, and nothing less than a serious bout of fragrance under a hot shower, will suffice. While I drink very seldomly as it is, there are always mornings when the mere thought of having to even open my eyes is painful enough, and the idea of a soft blanket of smell to wake me up gently sounds like the perfectly remedy.


From the description, I wasn't expecting to like Too Drunk very much; I have never been a huge advocate of mint-scented products, and up until this point, I had never really had a lot of success with Lush's emotibombs. However, despite my initial reservations, I was very surprised to find that I really enjoyed using this one, and I would go as far as to say that this product may have even convinced me to give emotibombs another chance in the near future.

Containing peppermint, fennel, tagetes and orange oil, this item is designed to wake you up, engulf your senses and leave you feeling refreshed and ready to face the day. From the get-go, it is the peppermint that leaves the strongest impression, and with the other ingredients intertwined, the smell of the mint reminded me quite a lot of the bitter, mint aroma you get in After Eight Mint chocolates. It's definitely a very icy-cold mint smell, and it's strong enough that I didn't even have to open the Lush box to realise what was inside.

Alongside this is a strong dose of the tagetes oil, which for those unfamiliar with the name, comes from a flower called a marigold, and one that is associated with the sunflower family. The herbaceous, floral oil has a sweet, almost citrus-like smell - but one that is wrapped in a blanket of floral undertones as you would expect. This, coupled with the orange oil, gives the emotibomb a slight fruity tinge, but nothing strong enough to compete with the mint.

To finish off, a generous dose of spicy fennel oil adds a revitalising kick of heat to the mix - engulfing your senses in the shower and helping to warm even the iciest of moods. Together, these ingredients create the strongest and most alluring-smelling emotibomb to date, and one I was happy to have bought six of from the kitchen.

How to use Too Drunk is simple. Get your shower running, let the hot water cascade down your body and pop one of these bad boys by your feet. Much like a bath bomb, the emotibomb will dissolve in the water, while the steam and heat will stimulate the scented oils and douse you senses with a continuous helping of fragrance. 

Although I was a little disappointed to find that the smell only stayed with me for a few minutes, that time was definitely more than enough to invigorate me back to life enough to see me through the day. I really appreciated how fresh and crisp the aroma was in the shower, and this would make an excellent accompaniment for those much-needed summer cool-downs.  

With Too Drunk, I could really smell the peppermint oil straight away, and it was strong enough to engulf my airways so that I felt almost as if I was breathing in a vapour rub or taking a hit from an extra strong mint. My nose cleared almost instantly, and if I had been suffering from a cold at the time, I can imagine it would have cleared out my passage ways and helped me to breathe a little easier.

On the negative side, the price is not that far off the price of a bath bomb, and although a ballistic can do all of the above, as well as offer a colourful and hopefully softening experience, an emotibomb doesn't have any where near as many attributes to its name. For this reason, while I did enjoy using Too Drunk, and I will continue to enjoy the handful I have left, it is not what I call an 'essential' item, and isn't one I'd purchase regularly if given the chance. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Sodium Bicarbonate, Citric Acid, Perfume, Peppermint Oil, Tagetes Oil, Sweet Wild Orange Oil, Fennel Oil, *Limonene, Linalool.

Vegan?: Yes.


2016 Price: £3.25 each.

2017 Price: £3.50 each.

Year Of Original Release:?





2 comments

  1. I always find myself wondering if one might use these as a bath product....what are your thoughts, Jen?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this emotibomb! i got one of each for my wedding week and this was by far my favorite.

    ReplyDelete


UP