Recently

21 October 2017

Happy Happy Joy Joy Naked Hair Conditioner




As most of my reviews showcase, I am a big advocate of solid hair care. In fact, it's probably the area of Lush that I am most passionate about, because of how much the company have helped to improve my unmanageable hair after years of abuse. Whenever anyone approaches me about recommendations, I automatically begin reeling off the solid products that would be best suited - not even fathoming that there are also some truly wonderful liquid variations that also deserve a mention.

When the Lush Kitchen announced that they'd be bringing out both Veganese and Happy Happy Joy Joy in solid form, I was ecstatic. Not only are they the only vegan liquid conditioners that Lush currently offer, but they also happen to be the only two conditioners that I use regularly - along with Avocado Co-wash.

HHJJ was the first in the spotlight, with its bobbly consistency and wonky-shaped head. While it wasn't the most attractive product to look at, I was hoping that this naked version would offer something different from the bottled version.


I'll be honest and say that I find HHJJ to be extremely expensive for what it is. While I recognise that Lush have sourced quite a number of highly-regarded ingredients to create the product, a 100g bottle will set you back £9.99, which is extortionate for something that lasts me between 4-5 washes. Not only that but I wouldn't say that it is anywhere near as moisturising as Lush's other solid and liquid conditioners, and maybe even be less nourishing than most of the shop-bought ones that I have also purchased over the years. 

For this reason, I was intrigued to see that this solid edition was £19.95 - which, if it lasted as long as the naked shower gels did, would work out much cheaper to use than the original liquid version. And I just hoped that the inclusion of the extra oils and butters would make this edition a little more moisturing.

Unfortunately, myself and this naked edition didn’t see eye-to-eye from the start. Firstly, I didn’t find that the fragrance was anywhere near the strength that the original liquid version possesses. Given that it’s a ‘conditioning perfume’, you would expect a scent strong enough to boast that title. Needless to say, HHJJ was very weak comparison to its older sibling. 

What took a bit of getting used to with the liquid conditioner was how quickly the product was absorbed into the hair. With its thin consistency I found that if I applied too much in one area, it would disappear too quickly for me to massage across a different area. For this reason, it was very easy to use twice as much product as you originally planned to, which is why I was always super careful when applying it onto the hair. 

When it came to the naked edition, I found that it was rather stubborn to produce much of a lather when massaged directly into the scalp. While it wasn’t particular generous when stimulated between my hands either, at least I wasn’t at risk of using too much of the Conditioner in any one go. I found that the solid bottle produced a thick, almost paste-like lather, although it did take a lot of effort to create enough product to coat all of my hair.  


Upon application, I immediately noticed a difference in how my hair reacted to the product. Normally, HHJJ makes my hair feel rather thin but it feels silky soft and nourished - it quite literally transforms my locks and removes any tangles without me having to use a comb. With the naked edition, my hair felt rather matted and dry, and this made it very wire-like and thin after I had rinsed it out. Even after multiple uses - some applied with an immediate rinse, and other times left in for over 10 minutes, my hair felt brittle and very UN-moisturised. 

Each and every time I tried to brush my hair, I found that it was both limp and frizzy, and lots of hair would come out in the brush. For someone who’s desperately trying to restore my hair to some form of normality, this is the last thing I wanted to happen. Even when I cut off small chunks and worked it into a paste before applying it, I found that it didn’t make much of a difference. 

Ultimately, Happy Happy Joy Joy is not a naked product that worked for me in any way. In fact, I’m rather interested to know why two products with similar ingredients can cause my hair to have two very different reactions. I hope that perhaps there is a product default with this batch, which is why it hasn’t made a reappearance since its Kitchen release, and that it will come back again at some point and win my hair over.

Quantitative Ingredients: ?

Vegan?: Yes.

2017 Price: £19.95 each.

Year Of Original Release: 2017.

Scent Family:
Frozen Bath Bomb
Frozen Liquid Perfume
Frozen Solid Perfume
Shine So Bright Hair Balm






No comments

Post a Comment


UP