Recently

24 March 2019

Lucky Cat Bath Bomb




Very rarely do I have to dig into my archive of pictures and find the two-bottle rating for a product. Usually most of Lush's releases hold enough merits to warrant at least scoring half way between being terrible and outstanding. However, I really couldn't justify giving this particular release more than what I have chosen to do so, and the fact that I struggled to remain positive about this bath bomb for a long time, told me everything that I needed to know about my feelings for it. 

If there is any bath bomb that has had more publicity than the opening of the Harajuku store itself, it is the Lucky Cat Bath Bomb. Iconic in design, this exclusive release is simply adorable to look at, and to celebrate a culture in such a way is a wonderful thing to see. Yet my reverence of this product didn't last much longer than that. 

Firstly, Lucky Cat is slightly smaller than you may be expecting it to be, and it feels far lighter than a regular sized bath bomb for sure. However, what impressed me about this exclusive release is that the fragrance was far stronger than many of Lush's bigger bath bombs, and it did hold its own in the water.

Sharing the same fragrance as the Ghost range, which includes a soap, perfume, shower gel and jelly amongst other products, this limited edition bath bomb has a strong family of classics sitting behind it, and happens to be a fragrance family that hold many avid fans. Sporting one of Lush's most popular floral aromas, Lucky Cat features an array of ingredients to give this bomb a light but equally very potent floral aroma.


To my nose, the predominant smell reminds me very much of freshly-dried, white lilies. Strangely there is nothing in the ingredients list to suggest that lilies have been used at all to create this aroma, yet the ylang ylang and jasmine both play a part in creating this overall fragrance. Described as being a 'squeaky clean', Lucky Cat gives off a smell that has the sweetness of the jasmine, a subtle grassiness from the ylang ylang and the robust headiness of the neroli.

The problems started when I decided to use this in the tub. While predominantly pink, the bath bomb does have a coating of lustre on the surface, which left a bit of a mess on my skin when it was being handled. What shocked me the most however was when I placed this in the water to dissolve.

Not only did the bath bomb sink to the bottom of the tub and dissolve in under a minute - leaving very little in the way of interesting bath art, but the layer of oily swirls that the bath bomb produced then proceeded to stick to the outside of my tub and stain the whole bath. To make matter worse, some of these pink swirls also managed to get onto my legs and thighs and leave my skin stained until I was able to scrub them off with a lot of force. 

Once the damage had been done, I found it very hard to relax and enjoy my experience, and ended up getting out of the tub very quickly after that. Although I appreciate that the scent was strong enough to be noticed, and the water appeared to be rather moisturising, given the size that Lucky Cat was, the carnage I had to clean up afterwards really spoilt my mood for a while.

Although it's very rare when a Lush bath bomb leaves its mark on the tub, it always sets me back when it does, and I worry that other bath bombs could do the same, and create even more work for me to contend with as opposed to helping me to relax.

Ultimately, while Lucky Cat did have potential to begin with, and does hold some merits as a bath bomb, there is nothing worse than seeing rigid streaks of pink up the sides of your bath tub and knowing that you're going to have to spend your Friday evening cleaning up the mess instead of relaxing. Surely I cannot be the only consumer to have experienced this with this particular bath bomb.

Quantitative Ingredients: Sodium Bicarbonate, Citric Acid, Jasmine Absolute, Neroli Oil, Ylang Ylang Oil, Water (Aqua), Titanium Dioxide, Glycerine, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Tin Oxide, Hydroxy propyl methyl cellulose, Sodium carboxymethyl cellulose, DRF Alcohol, Dipropylene Glycol, Alpha-Isomethyl, Ionone, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Citronellol, Geraniol, Hydroxycitronellal, *Linalool, Perfume, Colour 19140, Colour 15850:1, Colour 45410:1, Colour 77491, Colour 15510, Colour 16255, Colour 42090, Colour 77492.

Vegan?: Yes.

2019 Price: £3.95 each.

Year Of Original Release: 2019.



coming soon!


No comments

Post a Comment


UP