Recently

30 March 2014

Ginger Lotion Body Lotion


To be honest, I don't really know why I invested in a pot of Ginger Lotion, other than because I have an impulse to buy every Lush product available. Sharing it's scent with both the Ginger Perfume range, and the now-discontinued Badass Shower Gel, the spicy-floral fragrance of Ginger was one of the first fragrances Lush ever created, back in the days when they were known as Cosmetics to Go. Given that I despised the shower gel, I was not expecting great things from the lotion either...

As the name of the product suggests, one of the key ingredients in this lotion is ginger, included in the form of fresh ginger infusion and ginger oil. You can definitely smell it's presence here. However, Lush have intertwined it's scent with a blend of exotic oils to give a much more rounder, friendly smell. 

Rose, geranium, ylang ylang and juniper berry make up this unique fragrance, all of which play a key role in making this lotion one of the most popular ones available. Lush describe this lotion as 'pink and feminine, yet strong and confident.' It's definitely a scent that makes a statement; normally floral fragrances are very feminine - Ginger Lotion has a spicy kick to it that sets it apart from most other cosmetic scents. I'd describe it's scent as very old-fashioned - my mum, in fact, commented that it reminded her of a lot of fragrances she remembers from the 60's.

Ginger is one of Lush's lighter body lotions, sharing it's consistency with the likes of Karma. It's very easy to apply and absorbs rather quickly, meaning you'll not be left with any greasy residue on your skin. Additionally, the lotion begins to work instantly and I found my skin felt much softer mere seconds after application.

Furthermore, it's consistency means that you don't have to use a lot of the lotion each time, meaning a 225g pot will last you a lot longer than some of the other body lotions. Ginger makes my skin feel moisturised all day and all night, which is really impressive as many lotions tend to disappear within a few hours of use. Containing almond oil, cocoa butter and a ylang ylang flower infusion, this body lotion is a feast for the skin, making it feel wonderfully hydrated and cared-for.

However, the problem I have with Ginger is it's fragrance - it's just not a smell that fits well with my senses. It's the ginger and rose that dominate the overall scent here, which on their own, are wonderful smells, but together, create a concoction that doesn't bode well with me at all. Although I prefer this to the shower gel - something about adding this scent to water makes it so much worse, it's still not a fragrance I am happy using on a regular basis. Additionally, as the scent is a potent one, it's very effective at lingering on the skin for many hours after application. This is no doubt wonderful for those of you who love the smell, but it's not such a positive experience for those who don't.

Overall, it's a shame that I cannot learn to love the smell of Ginger Body Lotion as the consistency makes it a fantastic body lotion, and if you're a fan of the Ginger scent, you'll no doubt love this product. However, it's one that I'll not be going back to, simply because I cannot learn to love the scent enough to use this on a regular basis. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Ylang ylang Flower Infusion, Fresh Ginger Infusion, Almond Oil, Cocoa Butter, Glycerine, Stearic Acid, Triethanolamine, Ginger Oil, Mimosa Absolute, Rose Oil, Geranium Oil, Jasmine Absolute, Juniperberry Oil, Ylang Ylang Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, *Benzyl Salicylate, *Cinnamyl Alcohol, *Eugenol, *Geraniol, *Benzyl Benzoate, Citronellol, *Farnesol, *Limonene, *Linalool, Perfume, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

Vegan?: Yes

2016 Price: £13.95 for 240g.
2017 Price: £13.95 for 240g.

Scent Family:
Badass Gel Shower Gel
Boo Bath Melt and Bubble Bar
Ginger Bath Oil
Ginger Body Lotion
Ginger Liquid Perfume
Lemon Days And Ginger Beer Bath Bomb
Sex N The Shower Emotibomb

2 comments

  1. Ugh, we totally need this in the States. Especially when nauseated, the smell would probably be just as healing as ginger tea. lol.
    Gosh, I need a UK friend to ship me all the great Lush items from over there haha! Would be much less expensive too-- eh, maybe only a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oy yoy yoy! I have no idea why I ordered two pots of this. It's not....horrible, per se, but it smells like an old lady. I forgot that I didn't like the Ginger perfume since I gave my sample of it away. Bleck! Oh well, guess I know what my nana and my aunt are getting for Christmas! >;D

    *must...resist...stinky shower gel....in kitchen!*

    ReplyDelete


UP