Recently

7 March 2014

Carrot Soap




I have to say, whenever Lush release a new soap, I'm never normally enthused by the idea. As you've probably gathered from previous reviews, I'm definitely a 'shower gel lover', and would rather have numerous bottles of multi-coloured, wonderful-scented gels, than a few blocks of soaps. I find that shower gels look better, retain their scent for longer, and just last me that much longer; not to mention that they're easier to store and to use.

When Lush announced that they would be releasing Carrot, a brand new, limited edition soap for their Easter 2014 range, I wasn't immediately excited. However, the more I read up about it - the fact that the design means each slice has a white rabbit leaping through it, and the fact that it features carrot oil as one of the main ingredients, I began to warm to the idea. 

The soap has a wonderfully strong smell - a refreshingly fizzy blend of buchu, lemon, coconut, bergamot and carrot -a fragrance that reminds me of fresh tropical juice with a sherberty twist. This zesty and very fruity combination is probably one of the strongest smelling soaps I've had from Lush in a while, and I was really eager to try it out in the shower. 
The orange part of the soap is made with moisturising carrot seed oil, and the white part has lots of skin-softening Fair Trade Organic cocoa butter. This carrot seed oil has a sweet and pungent scent with fresh and herbaceous top notes but earthy, dry woody undertones, which helps to 'pad out' the overall scent so that it has depth to it. Lush claim that together, these ingredients will 'leave you feeling as soft as the Easter Bunny himself.' Unfortunately, my experience with this soap was less than satisfying. 

Firstly, this soap is quite difficult to lather up; you really have to work the piece between your hands to get any sort of foam. This made it rather difficult to use by itself as I never really felt like I was clean after using it. I would often follow up by lathering shower gel all over my body afterwards, to ensure that I was clean, making the use of the soap almost redundant.

Secondly, when I washed off the small amount of lather that I did manage to massage onto my body, it had completely removed all of the moisturise from my skin. I found that my skin felt taut and dry, and where I had rubbed the soap between my palms, my hands felt raw and stiff. After my shower, I had to moisturise my body a couple of times, just to ensure my skin didn't dry out too much and begin to peel. 
I recognise that soaps can make your body feel a little dry at times, but I've never had such an adverse reaction to a soap as quickly as I have with Carrot.

Despite it's beautiful smell, this is not a product I would be interested in trying again. Although it possesses a beautiful smell, and one quite unique to Lush's range, I would only consider buying it again if Lush used it in a different context (a shower gel would be wonderful).

Quantitative Ingredients: Water, Propylene Glycol, Rapeseed Oil and Coconut Oil, Perfume, Carrot Oil, Sodium Stearate, Buchu Oil, Sicilian Lemon Oil, Bergamot Oil, Fair Trade Organic Cocoa Butter, Titanium Dioxide, Glycerine, Sodium Chloride, EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Lilial, *Limonene, *Linalool, Colour 15510.

Vegan?: Yes. 

2016 Price: £4.50 for 100g.

Year Of Original Release: 2014.

Scent Family:
A Bunch of Carrots Reusable Bubble Bars
Aster La Vista Soap
The Carrot Bubble Bar 
The Carrot Soap
Snowman FUN
Snowman Jelly


1 comment

  1. Mirrors are ice which do not melt, what melts
    are those who admire themselves in them. See the link below for more info.


    #melts
    www.ufgop.org



    ReplyDelete


UP