Recently

11 March 2014

I Love Juicy Shampoo


I was always warned to stay away from this product, merely because it's a shampoo aimed at removing grease and oil from your locks, neither of which I have an abundance of. However, in my quest to try and review everything vegan in their range, I knew I had to give it a go at one stage. 

Lush describe this shampoo as one which contains 'juicy fruits to give you the freshest smoothie hair imaginable'. You can see from the ingredients list that they have gone all out on packing this product with a range of beautiful smelling fruits: Lemon, mango, papaya, pineapple, kiwi and orange give this product a fresh tropical-scent.

Aside from the fragrance, these fruits also contain key enzymes which supposedly help to clean away dirt and remove grease and product build up. Furthermore, softening seaweed has been included to leave your locks extra-clean and super-shiny.

I Love Juicy is a very rich shampoo, so you should only use only a small amount each time. However, I found that it doesn't lather up as easily as other Lush shampoos, and I often found myself using more than I was perhaps supposed to. When massaged into your hair, this product feels more like a conditioner and despite reading other reviews that claim otherwise, I didn't find that this shampoo felt as if it was genuinely washing my hair. Then when I washed the product out, my hair immediately felt like it had lost it's volume. After leaving it to dry naturally, it felt slightly greasy and thin, and the colour of my hair seemed rather dull and lifeless. 

I coupled I Love Juicy with Veganese conditioner, as this is my favourite hair product ever. However, this is clearly not a good combination as my hair was left feeling really thin and limp. Maybe there is another combination I could try that might have better results with this shampoo. However, as there are so many great shampoos in Lush's range, I'd rather stick with one that works with the products I use regularly. 

Overall, I was rather disappointed with this shampoo but not overly surprised with the results. My main concern is that my hair felt rather oily after use, which is not a look I want to continue sporting. Secondly, the shampoo seemed to make my dyed hair look dull and stripped of colour. All I can think about, is if I can see the physical effects of what I Love Juicy is doing to my hair, I can only imagine the damage it may be doing 'behind the scenes'. 

For this reason, I would not buy this product again. Lush have so many other brilliant shampoos that I use regularly, so I'll stick to the ones I know work for my hair type.

Quantitative Ingredients: Water, Sodium Alkyl Sulfate, Ammonium Laureth Sulphate, Cocamide MEA, Propylene Glycol, Perfume, Lemon Oil, Freshly Juiced Papaya, Fine Sea Salt, Carrageenan Extract, Sweet Orange Oil, Fresh Pineapple Juice, Fresh Kiwi Juice, Fresh Mango Juice, *Citral, *Limonene, Benzyl Alcohol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

Vegan?: Yes


11 comments

  1. I use this one when my hair is really greasy (eg when I really didn't have time and used dry shampoo in the morning, or after a period of sickness). It's definitely not a product for regular use, it's super stripping. Even my hands feel completely stripped of moisture after using it! I'm almost at the end of the bottle and won't repurchase, even if it has its uses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That definitely makes a lot of sense. I find it so strange that a product can have such an opposite effect for different people. I gave my bottle of this to my best friend, who absolutely loved it and now uses it as her regular shampoo.

      Delete
  2. We use this at our Lush store to clean the sinks and other surfaces because it is such a powerful cleanser. Definitely not for someone with anything but super greasy hair!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't disappointed with this shampoo, as I was choosing it for my natural, straight, long and oily hair, which needs to be washed almost every day. It's a great everyday shampoo: not dries out my scalp, simply makes all dirt disappear, leaving hair soft, shine and smooth. It's wonderful for summer month (I didn't try it for other season yet). It really takes a little shampoo for every use to make great lather for my long hair. I am happy with the results although this shampoo need to fight only with natural dirt on my hair. Also I use it without any additional treat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i was exactly the same! it's just the smell is quite off-putting...

      Delete
    2. I think it has the most beautiful 'citrus' smell which Lush has made. It is very juicy, natural and not boring. I wish Lush also made shower gel with such ingredients.

      Delete
  4. This made my hair feel really weird and squeaky, I completely agree with everything you said

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved your review of this. I got this due to the same reasons (I wanna try everything!) and also I thought the smell was divine. I used it about once a week, usually after a few days without washing and it worked well - but I wouldn't buy it again as my hair is not greasy and it wasn't really designed for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wash my hair once a week and use a lot of hair products and I actually got dandruff and this shampoo completely cured my hair and gave it so much volume I absolutely love it. But I agree it needs to be used on hair that is greasy, as it is very strong, but that is why I love it

    ReplyDelete
  7. As a swimmer with oily roots but dried ends my hair requires a very interesting routine. I currently use I love juicy shampoo every time I was my hair but use a very rich and moisturizing conditioner on my ends and once a week i deep condition it. This is a product that you should stay away from unless you have very oily hair.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello, I have not had your experience with this shampoo. I bought it in July and I use it since then 3/4 times a week. I always had greasy hair, very greasy, so much so that I had to wash them with regular shampoo every single day. This shampoo creates the perfect foam to make me feel that I'm washing my hair, once washed they seems a bit dry but as soon as they dry they become silky, fragrant, filled with golden reflections and squeaky clean.

    ReplyDelete


UP