Recently

21 August 2018

Magic Crystals Shower Scrub



I was in Thailand when I first heard the news about Magic Crystals Shower Scrub. The unreliable wifi meant that I was only able to get a minute glimpse of what it looked like before the internet failed on me again, for the thousandth time that day. The terrible connection meant that I was also only privy to the odd scraping of rumours regarding what the brand new product would smell like: the latest post telling me that it shared its scent with the now discontinued Magic Bath Bomb. And then the island suffered a power cut for the millionth time.

For this reason, when the tub of beautiful purple gunk arrived on my doorstep some two weeks later, I was confused when a wonderfully fresh scent of mint greeted my nose, as opposed to the overpowering herbal smell I was expecting to receive upon lifting the lid. My surprise led to elation as I realised that I probably wouldn't have enjoyed the scrub all that much, had it truly shared the same fragrance as the aforementioned bath bomb.

With a fresh mint infusion as the key ingredient, and an extra helping of both peppermint and spearmint oils further down, it is these three beauties that make this scrub so wonderfully fresh and uplifting. From the tub and indeed in the shower as well, the cool, minty sensation reminds me very much of Wrigly's chewing gum.

While peppermint can come across as rather potent in certain formats, this scrub lets the spearmint act as the most dominant force: mixing with a little sweetness to soften the harsh kick that mint can something offer. While there's nothing in the ingredients list that suggests where that sweetness comes from, you'll know what I mean when you experience it yourself. There is something slightly rounded out the mint elements that you wouldn't get if it was just mint by itself.

The inclusion of the menthol crystals not only offers a scent that helps to clear your airways under the heat of the warm shower, but also leaves your body feeling super cool and clean. In the shower, you'll feel a gentle tingle of the crystals getting to work on your skin but it won't be anywhere as intense as Christingle Body Conditioner, so you don't need to worry about shivering as you exit the shower during the colder months of the year. 

While there is both sage and rosemary infusions in the mix as well, you don't get very much of a herbal element to the fragrance at all. Although I think that both ingredients do make a minor impression on the senses, I wonder whether this is more because I was expecting there to be something with both of them being so prominent in the creation of this scrub. 

Having said this, both herbal components do their job wonderfully by helping to cleanse and tone the skin with their healing properties. Alongside the gentle buffering of the epsom salts, I found that Magic Crystals left my skin feeling and looking super bright and really refreshed.

A little like Rub Rub Rub, this is far from being a coarse scrub, so those with more sensitive skin will find that this shouldn't irritate your pores or cause any rashes to form. You can buffer as hard as you like with this beauty and you wouldn't do much in the way of damage. For this reason, if you're looking for a scrub that'll remove a thousand layers of dead skin, you'd probably need to look elsewhere.

Once I left the shower, I found that my skin felt noticeably soft and clean, and there was a wonderful fragrance that lingered on my body for a good couple of hours afterwards. In fact, I have enjoyed going to bed most nights after using this and finding remnants of this on my pillow and sheets the next day.

I can see why Magic Crystals has been automatically released as a permanent, and why there is quite a buzz surrounding this scrub. With a product this good, Lush didn't have any qualms about how well this would do. For certain I would purchase this again, and indeed I will. In fact, I think I would miss having a tub of this in my shower if I was ever to run out. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Epsom Salts, Fine Sea Salt, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Perfume, Fresh Mint Infusion, Fresh Rosemary Infusion, Fresh Sage Infusion, Propylene, Glycol, Menthol Crystals, Peppermint Oil, Spearmint Oil, Aniseed Oil, Lactic Acid, Titanium Dioxide, Lauryl Betaine, *Limonene, Colour 17200, Colour 42090:2.

Vegan?: Yes.

2018 Price: £10.95 for 300g, 

Year Of Original Release: 2018.


No comments

Post a Comment


UP