Recently

1 October 2018

Hair Custard Hair Dressing



I've always said that Lush should start branching out into the food business. Although their expertise is solely in cosmetics, the smells that they create could easily be replicated into an edible form. Desserts, chocolate boxes and fresh fruit cakes featuring Lush fragrances would simply be incredible, although my bank account and my waist line would probably suffer quite a bit for it. 

Hair Custard Hair Dressing is one of a handful of hair products that I have always wanted to try, and haven't been able to because they've always contained an ingredient that isn't vegan friendly. When I discovered that alongside a couple of other exciting new formulations, this particular item had been veganised for the Showcase event, I couldn't wait to get home and use it on my hair. 

As the name suggests, the smell of this will tempt you to grab a spoon and try and eat this custard coloured beauty. However, I suggest that you save this for your hair instead: it works better...believe me.

Comprised of a vanilla pod decoction, and featuring both vanilla absolute and vanilla powder, the smell of this is (not surprisingly) rich, super sweet and rather buttery on the nose. There is something slightly musky and rather powdery about the vanilla aroma, which gives it an almost caramel-like twist as well.  

Having said that, the scent you get in the bottle is not as foody as you would expect it to be. Featuring cider apple vinegar, there is something slightly acidic about the smell, that may be off-putting for some consumers. However, I can vouch for the fact that this is lost very quickly when applied to the hair. 

This vinegar has been added because not only does it combat dryness and dandruff issues, but it also works at leaving your hair smooth and super shiny. As I've been lucky enough to never suffer with any scalp complaints, I cannot comment on whether or not this works. However, given how effective everything else is in this hair dressing, I could safely vouch that it would.

Alongside this, the inclusion of both the grapefruit oils and fresh strawberry juice add an extra shine to your hair; the cocoa butter helps to moisturise and soften from root to tip; and the wheat protein strengthens your locks, and helps the hair to grow stronger and thicker. As someone who has struggled with many of the issues that Hair Custard supposedly addresses, I couldn't wait to try this out for myself. 

Similar in consistency to the likes of a thick body lotion, this hair dressing has been designed to give you a gentle hold, whilst conditioning your hair at the same time. You simply take the amount you wish to use and either work it into the top part of your hair, or scrunch it into your tips. Some consumers then choose to brush their hair through, to help Hair Custard reach every lock possible.

Those with short hair will notice that their hair will appear to set in the style they create, without looking or feeling like there is any product there at all. Whereas gels and puttys and waxes tend to leave evidence of their presence, this hair dressing doesn't make itself known aside from the wonderful smell that projects itself from you hair for hours after application.

As I have much longer hair, I chose to massage a little across the top of my head, to smoothen down either side of my parting, and then work my fingers through the rest of my hair to combat a little of the frizz, whilst still allowing my natural curls to remain intact. On a single application, I found that I probably needed any amount that represented the size of a medium grape.

What I found was that the hair dressing wasn't particularly great a settling my frizzy curls around my forehead, although it hasn't been designed as such so I can't exactly slate it because of this. However, it did leave my hair feeling more manageable and far thicker, even by the end of the third day. 

Whilst my hair did look and feel softer and volumised, I will be honest and say that Hair Custard didn't really nourish my hair as much as I was expecting it to. I think if you're someone who has incredibly dry hair, such as myself, something more intense would be needed to ensure your ends aren't as dry or split. However, Hair Custard does have an impact on the condition of your hair, and I really enjoyed the change in consistency to the usual flatness that I've been living with for a long while.

What is great about this hair dressing is that it doesn't have to be washed off at the end of the day. While most other gels/waxes etc. will leave your hair dry or greasy, you cannot honestly feel this the next day, and my hair never suffered through leaving it on overnight. Furthermore, applying this once a day was enough to achieve the style I was looking for, so a 100g bottle would last me a good six months, with daily usage.

I really do hope that this makes it into store: perhaps even replacing the non vegan one because of how well it replicates the product. Although not a regular product for me, I would always like to have a bottle around to indulge in, especially if I need a quick fix to make my hair appear thicker and in better condition. Hair Custard would definitely do the trick.

Quantitative Ingredients: Vanilla Pod Decoction, Water (Aqua), Propane Glycol,  Glyceryl Stearate & PEG-100 Stearate, Cetearyl Alcohol, Polyvinylpyrrolidone (PVP), Perfume, Hydrolised Wheat Protein, Silica, Vanilla Absolute, Cider Vinegar, Fresh Grapefruit Juice, Fresh Strawberry Juice, Argan Oil, Fair Trade Organic Cocoa Butter, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Soya Lecithin, Gardenia Extract, Vanilla Powder, Cetrimonium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Hydroxystearic/Linolenic/Oleic Polyglycerides, Benzyl Alcohol,  *Anise Alcohol.

Vegan?: Yes.

2018 Price: £? 
2019 Price: £16.95 for 100g.

Year Of Original Release: 2018.


1 comment

  1. Females want their hair to look great and stylish and take great pride in them. That’s why people especially women take care of them very much and keep trying to improve hair quality. It is these fact hair extensions became much familiar these days. Hair Extensions seller company required improved and elegant custom Hair Extension Box packaging to sell their product. Due to advanced competitiveness in the market, Hair Spray Box sellers compel to encase their products in eye-catching box packaging to attract new customers.

    ReplyDelete


UP