Recently

4 December 2018

Yog Nog Liquid Perfume (2018 Edition)



It actually shocked me to the core when I researched a little on this blog and discovered that the previous release of Yog Nog Liquid Perfume was all the way back in 2014. It seems like only yesterday that the original soap was released into the world, and made most Lush fans attempt to eat a cosmetic for the first time. Since then, Lush have offered consumers lots of variations in this fragrance, and the world is a better place for it.

You may be wondering why I am reviewing this perfume when I already have one from the first time around. The truth is that while they are both similar (as you would expect them to be given that they're supposed to share the same scent) there are differences between the two - to my nose at least.

The original Yog Nog Liquid Perfume was described as a 'fudge-scented trip to Canadian mountainsides', but I would argue that this is probably far too simplistic a description for something that activates all of my senses every time I come close to sniffing it. The words 'truly wonderful' are probably best fitted to explain this smell.

Crafted from the warming aroma of clove bud oil and the sweet, delicate lashings of ylang ylang, the ingredients list for Yog Nog Liquid Perfume sounds more like a floral smell than anything else. However, this is probably Lush's more foody scent to date, and there's no you can smell this and not want to eat everything in sight. 

To me, it's like a warm, buttery caramel interlaced with a generous helping of burnt brown sugar; a layer of sweet and creamy vanilla absolute; and topped with a sprinkle of grounded cloves. Richly decadent and beautifully warm, Yog Nog is the epitome of a 'foody' smell, and given how intense the fragrance is in some formats, there is no way that some consumers haven't attempted to eat this out of pure curiosity.

Out of the bottle, this perfume hits you with its warm, buttery goodness, and everything that I've described above comes out in full force. There is just something so velvety soft that tantalises the tastebuds, that you'd be hard pressed not to want to give your wrists a lick. Please don't.


After a matter of minutes, when the perfume has settled and is working with the heat of your skin, both the clove and the vanilla makes their presence known above the other components. In fact, I found that a lot of the caramel-esque properties, that make up the Yog Nog Fragrance, were lost a little by this point. 

Throughout the next couple of hours, I enjoyed the sweet, warming and slightly powdery vanilla note, intertwined with the almost woody-like clove oil. It was during this stage that I was able to notice a musky note of ylang ylang working alongside the clove bud, to elevate and expand the overall aroma. 

How this perfume differs from the 2014 version is that I found the older edition to be a little stronger overall, and also more in keeping with the caramel side of Yog Nog. While beautiful in its own right, this release sees the vanilla and clove taking the spotlight more and thus stepping away slightly from the Yog Nog smell that we all know and love.

While everybody's skin will react differently, I'm sure that a lot of consumers will notice this separation as the perfume is maturing on the skin. For me then, I would say that the closest replica to this liquid fragrance would be the original soap, only because that too has a stronger presence of clove than some of the other products.

As I stated in my original review, one of the only problems that I have with this perfume is knowing when to you use it. In my mind, I see it as being something I would wear if I was curled up on the sofa in a dressing gown and slippers; not something I would wear for a night out, or even for a day at work. The smell is too cloying for general wear, although many others would disagree with me I'm sure.  

While I do love this perfume, the original fragrance was stronger, more rounded, and lasted longer. Yog Nog lovers will no doubt love this limited edition and I'm extremely happy that it's been made available so that more fans can enjoy their fragrance all year round.

Quantitative Ingredients: DRF Alcohol, Perfume, Clove Bud Oil (Eugenia caryophyllus), Ylang Ylang Oil, (Cananaga odorata), Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Salicylate, Eugenol, Farnesol, Geraniol, Isoeugenol, Linalool.

Vegan?: Yes. 

2018 Price: £28 for 30ml.

Year Of Original Release: 2018.

Scent Family:
Yog Nog Bath Bomb
Yog Nog Body Lotion
Yog Nog FUN Bar
Yog Nog Liquid Perfume (2014)

Yog Nog Liquid Perfume (2018)
Yog Nog Perfume Oil
Yog Nog Shower Smoothie
Yog Nog Soap
Yog Nog Solid Perfume
Yog Nog Yule Log Bubble Bar Slice

1 comment

  1. To Ardhanarishwara, the blissfully turing one who resides in the third eye plexus (Ajna Chakra) of each aspirant and who denotes the union of my Param Gurudeva Bhagwan Shiva and my Param Gurudevi Maa Shakti, are offered these salutions, prior this little student continues any further with the text, For more info visit: transmigration of soul

    ReplyDelete


UP