Recently

25 June 2019

Tornado Toothpaste Jelly





Cinnamon is hands-down my favourite spice ever. There is something so warming and rounded and sweet about its aroma that has me salivating every time I even get the slightest of whiffs. I remember with fondness how excited I used to get when I was allowed to spend the evening with a box of Atomic Bomb sweets as a kid, even if the name sounds rather passive aggressive to my adult self.

You can imagine my excitement then when I discovered that Tornado, one of ten brand new innovative toothpaste jellies that Lush have recently brought out, is an explosion of cinnamon like no other. If the mere mention of the 'c' word has you grappling for the exit, you may wish to move house if someone in your neighbourhood even so much as suggests that they may be tempted into buying a pot.

Unfortunately for cinnamon lovers such as myself, these toothpaste jellies are only currently available in Lush's Liverpool (England) and Shinjuku (Japan) stores. However, I do hope that these brand new inventions appear on the website and in all stores in the coming months because it seems a shame that something this good is limited to so few consumers.

Fierce and Fire-y in design, this toothpaste jelly boasts the same heat when it comes to its ingredients list. Both a cinnamon bark infusion and a cinnamon oil have gone into making this unique jelly, which also has a generous helping of both mandarin and pine oils underneath to often the blow a little and add a subtle complexity that I simply adored.

From the tub, Tornado offers a strong burst of cinnamon, which is both dry and spicy at the same time. You can definitely tell that the fragrance has come from the cinnamon bark because you can almost imagine the bark present in front of your nose every time you give it a sniff. The inclusion of the mandarin oil then helps to add a little fruitiness; a little sweetness to the mixture that rounds the aroma off wonderfully. As if this wasn't enough, the inclusion of the pine oil seems to clash a little with the cinnamon and add a gentle note of 'green' that threads itself around the other components.

While I can see the resemblance between this and Cinders Shower Gel, I happen to think that there's far more layers when it comes to the shower gel and this toothpaste jelly is far stronger in heat. As you can imagine, the taste replicates this notion as well...

As soon as I began brushing, I could feel the intensity of the cinnamon around my entire mouth, although it didn't cause any burn or stinging that stronger toothpastes can sometimes arouse. Instead, the cinnamon cleared and refreshened my palette whilst the mandarin served to add a little fruitiness to the overall taste. Having said that, my tongue was left tingling a little after I washed my mouth out and this continued for a good ten minutes before slowly disappearing.

The idea with all of these new tooth jellies is that you simply scoop your toothbrush across the top of the surface of the product and a small amount (or however much you wish to use) will rub off onto the bristles, and this is what you use to brush your teeth with. With all ten of these new jellies, I found that it was very easy to apply only the smallest of amount to my brush: I barely dented the surface at all to begin with, so these little 60g pots will last you a very long time. In fact, I would even say that they may outlast that of a regular-sized 200g tube of toothpaste.

Once I began brushing, I found that it 'lathered up' exactly like a regular toothpaste and at no point did I feel or experience any jelly pieces still in my mouth. The product dissolved very quickly and then worked exactly as you would hope a tooth paste would do so. Furthermore, I was able to spit the paste out multiple times and never once ran out of foam on my toothbrush. These jellies are super generous when it comes to how much foam they produce in your mouth, despite how little product you need to use. Whereas I would normally use a pea-sized amount of toothpaste, I was able to use a piece the size of a grain of rice and yet heed the same results.

What I would say is that as the product is self preserving, it's important to keep your toothbrush fairly dry when you run it across the product. Adding moisture of any kind to these naked cosmetics could reduce the shelf life of the jelly and may open up the possibility of bacteria multiplying over time. For this reason, it's also essential that the lid is left on so as not to attract any unwanted germs. Given that I can imagine one of these pots lasting me a good 3-4 months as a minimum, I certainly wouldn't want the paste exposed to any bacteria, if I can help it. 

Once I had finished using Tornado Toothpaste Jelly, I could feel how smooth and shiny my teeth were and my mouth felt super refreshed. While I could still taste the sweet cinnamon in my mouth, it wasn't overpowering at all and I could have happily eaten straight afterwards without any problem. Having said that, there was enough potency to keep my breath fresh for a good while afterwards.

As I will say in all of my toothpaste jelly reviews, it's also nice not to have to prepare myself for annoying lumps of tab when I rinse my mouth out afterwards. Tornado simply dissolved as soon as I started brushing and there wasn't any wastage from bits getting stuck in my teeth or falling out when I spat into the sink.

As with most of Lush's new toothpaste jellies, this one contains many key ingredients to actually help this product to act like a toothpaste. Hydrated silica works well as a whitening and teeth cleaning agent: helping to remove the stains from the surface of your teeth without damaging the enamel. Then there is xylitol, which is a natural sweetener that doesn't contain any fructose, so will help to protect your teeth from damage, and will hopefully help to reduce your risk of cavities over time.

If you haven't already realised, Tornado is for cinnamon lovers through and through and makes a great alternative to mint-tasting toothpastes. This toothpaste still offers the feeling of a clean, refreshed mouth but with a lovely twist, which I happen to love. This is definitely one of my favourite toothpaste jellies by far.

Quantitative Ingredients: Cinnamon Bark Infusion (Cinnamomum zeylanicum), Sorbitol, Glycerine, Silica, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Xylitol, Flavour, Cinnamon Bark Oil (Cinnamomum zeylanicum), Green Mandarin Oil (Citrus nobilis), Pine Oil (Pinus sylvestris), Water (Aqua), Stevia (Stevia Rebaudiana), Agar Agar (Gelidium cartilagineum), Carrageenan Extract (Chondrus crispus), Titanium Dioxide, Menthol crystals (Menthol), Alpha-Isomethyl ionone, Cinnamal, *Eugenol, *Limonene, Colour 15510.

Vegan?: Yes. 

2019 Price: £ each.

Year Of Original Release: 2019.

2 comments

  1. toothpaste tablets uk Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with extra information? It is extremely helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This particular is usually apparently essential and moreover outstanding truth along with for sure fair-minded and moreover admittedly useful My business is looking to find in advance designed for this specific useful stuffs… toothpaste tablets uk

    ReplyDelete


UP