Recently

20 September 2015

Floating Island Bath Oil


While I'm saddened to think that this is only one to two more luxury bath oils that I have left to review from Lush's new extensive collection, a part of me is relishing in the fact that once I've reviewed them all I can enjoy my favourites again and again, trying them out in the various amazing cocktails that some of you have suggested. Unfortunately, this isn't one that'll make my shopping list all that often.

Don't get me wrong, Floating Island is far from terrible - a cute and very delicious smelling dome-shaped product that supposedly mirrors the fragrance of the bath melt of the same name. Decorated with a miniature stem of fresh vanilla pod in the top, this looks like a stylised truffle that you would expect to find in a chocolate shop. 

With vanilla pod seeds and sandalwood oil making up the basis of its scent, this bath oil has a lovely, sweet and very delicate creamy aroma - the vanilla aspect reminding me of the popular Vanillary range, while the inclusion of sandalwood offers a very subtle, calming woody element that rounds the fragrance off perfectly. In a way, this bath melt smells like a scoop of vanilla ice-cream. 

The addition of lemon oil adds a gentle citrusy element to compliment the other ingredients, but its not strong enough to thwart the other notes. Instead, it helps to add an uplifting component that makes Floating Island Bath Oil slightly more refreshing and 'spritely' when compared to its older sibling.

Packed with fair trade organic cocoa butter and almond oil, this product gets to work at releasing essential oils to help repair, nourish and moisturise the skin - melting slowly in the water and sending buttery puddles of goodness across the surface of the water. 

Despite the water being substantially hot when I popped this into the bath, I did notice that this took quite a while for it to melt entirely - so I would recommend that you climb in and enjoy your bath while it's doing so. Once fully melted, you will have to swish the water around to encourage the oils to disperse themselves into the water otherwise you'll miss out on their benefits. However, this bath oil did help make the bath water 

Despite enjoying this, there's just something slightly disappointing about this bath oil - something I cannot really place my finger on very easily. Perhaps it is the fact that the older and much large bath melt is stronger in scent and creates a much creamier experience in the tub; it could be the fact that the design of this bath oil is fairly boring when placed next door to any of the other bath oils available in store. 

Whatever the case may be, this is probably one of my least favourite bath oils to come from the Oxford Street store, and probably only one I'd buy again if I wanted to use one in a cocktail. Having said that, this is a lovely little bath oil and I'm sure they'll be many consumers who are more than happy with using one of these to add an extra burst of softness in their bath. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Organic Shea Butter (Butyrospermum parkii), Sodium Bicarbonate, Fair Trade Organic Cocoa Butter (Theobroma cacao), PEG–6 Caprylic / Capric Glycerides & PEG-60 Almond Glycerides, Laureth 4, Citric Acid, Perfume, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil (Cocos nucifera), Almond Oil (Prunus dulcis), Sandalwood Oil (Santalum austro-caledonicum vieill and Fusanus spicatus), Lemon Oil (Citrus limonum), Labdanum Resinoid (Cistus ladaniferus), Fair Trade Vanilla Pod Seeds (Vanilla planifolia), Fair Trade Vanilla Pod (Vanilla planifolia) *Limonene.

Vegan?: Yes.

2015 Price: £2 each.

Year Of Original Release: 2015.

Scent Family:
Floating Island Bath Melt
Floating Island Bath Oil
Whitewash Shower Smoothie




9 comments

  1. This is one of the bath melts I picked up when I went to London, and I am yet to use it. I hope it works alright for me, as I'm super excited to use it. :)

    https://theremightbecoffee.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It smells beautiful. These are my second lot that I've bought and they're so much bigger than the original two I purchased back in April. I hope you enjoy yours!

      Delete
  2. Not the right place for this comment but I don't know where best to put it that you'll see it! :)

    For a number of reasons I've stopped buying bath ballistics [partly due to the ridiculous increase in costs - £3.95 for a bath bomb? Really? - and partly because I have damp issues in my flat which means that unless I use them within a day or so of buying them they go bad], but today I went to use my final Inhale/Exhale that I've been holding on to.

    Disappointingly but not surprisingly I found it had disintegrated more or less from the inside, so it wasn't ever going to work as a bomb. What I decided to do instead was to just hold it under the tap as I ran the bath and see what happened.

    I wasn't expecting this to result in actual bubbles! Not millions of bubbles, and bubbles that didn't last that long in the bath, but still beautiful smelling bubbles! Just a thought for you to try out if you have any ancient bath bombs still lying around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing problems with both the damp and old bath bombs. I do agree that some of the prices are a little shocking at times - I should really cut down myself! Thanks for sharing your experience with Inhale/Exhale. This actually works for most of Lush's bath bombs, and indeed some of their bath melts as well. I sometimes crumble the bath bombs under the tap just so I can enjoy a few bubbles :)

      Delete
  3. Jen, the North American Lush site has just put their Dreamtime bath melt into the Fond Farewells section. Do you know any news of it being reformulated or discontinued?
    - Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no - that's disappointing and a little alarming! They did say a few weeks ago that they were going to be bringing out a small selection of the bath oils, notably Dreamtime, Floating Island and Melting Marshmallow Moment, but I didn't think they were discontinuing the originals. I guess we'll have to stock up! :(

      Delete
    2. I don't know about you, but I'm really hoping they bring out Monsieur Gustave, I absolutely adore Twilight, and need a good bath oil to compliment it. I'd love to try Razzle Dazzle, I am a Radiant Being, Johnny Appleseed, oil on Troubled Water and Shark Infested Custard! I seriously adore baths, but I often find using just a bath bomb and bubble bar isn't enough to make the water as soft as you say it gets! The softest bath where I left feeling absolutely fantastic was when I used a Snow Angel bath Melt, but sadly, I only bought one, and used it up within a week, and can't get another one until Christmas. :(

      Delete
  4. They're bringing out a Calacas-scented jelly for Halloween this year. http://lushalot.com/wordpress/nightwing-shower-jelly/

    ReplyDelete
  5. You provide the informative information related to island bath oil. You discuss different qualities. I like your post. Moreover, We provide the best and affordable commercial cleaning Dallas tx services for quality work.

    ReplyDelete


UP