Recently

20 February 2014

Marilyn Hair Treatment


When it comes to Lush, my motto is that I must always try things at least once, even if it's not immediately suited to my hair, my face or my body. I have discovered some truly amazing products over the years, a handful of these which would not have been possible had it not been for this open-mindedness. 

Marilyn Hair Treatment is one such product that I would not have normally looked at if I was simply going on recommendations from Lush. Marketed as a pre-wash treatment for blonds who want lighter, brighter hair, this product doesn't sound suited to me at all.

Much the same as Jasmine and Henna Fluff-Eaze, you are supposed to lather it over dry hair, leave it on for up to twenty minutes, before rinsing it out and then washing your hair as you normally would. This should be done once every couple of weeks, although it could be done weekly if you felt your hair needed that extra treatment. I found that, much like the aforementioned, one pot lasted me for four separate occasions, which definitely makes it good value for money.  

Immediately, upon application, I began to notice some big differences in the way my hair felt and looked compared to my usual Jasmine and Henna treatment. Firstly, my hair felt somewhat rigid to touch - it felt like I had put egg on my hair and it had began to harden. Secondly, the smell it gave off was revolting - a mixture of lemons and plastic; a similar scent to that of the R'n'B hair conditioner that Lush also sell. 
After I washed Marilyn out, I found that my hair felt really greasy on top but then felt like it had been stripped of all moisture at the bottom. In the mirror, it looked flat and lifeless, and the ends were dry and frayed. I have naturally thin hair anyway, but after using this, my hair felt even thinner, which worried me to no end.

This is definitely not the effect that Lush were aiming for as Marilyn contains softening linseed gel which is full of protein, vitamins and minerals to hydrate and strengthen hair. Instead, my hair reacted in the complete opposite way, which is not surprising given that the product is not designed for brunettes. 

Ultimately, I was hoping to discover a second hair treatment that I could use to improve the strength, look and feel of my locks. However, I'm guessing the treatment works so well by targeting the key characteristics of blonde hair in order to do it's magic, so it's a tall order that I expected it to work for brown hair as well.
Recently, both of my two flatmates have begun to use Marilyn regularly, and have reported back the amazing results that they are seeing with the colour and consistency of their hair. So it clearly works. Unfortunately, this is one such product that is designed for one type of hair style, and it's not as versatile in that respect. However, I am more than happy with the Jasmine and Henna Hair Conditioner, so I'll be sticking to that for the foreseeable future. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Linseed Mucilage (Linum usitatissimum) , Chamomile Infusion (Anthemis nobilis) , Saffron Infusion (Crocus sativis) , Cetearyl Alcohol and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate , Fresh Lemon Juice (Citrus limonum) , Cetearyl Alcohol , Olive Oil (Olea europaea) , Lemon Oil (Citrus limonum) , Chamomile Oil (Anthemis nobilis) , Soya Lecithin , *Citral , *Limonene , Perfume , Methylparaben , Propylparaben.

Vegan?: Yes.

2014 Price: £9.75 for 225g.

No comments

Post a Comment


UP