Recently

21 February 2014

Randy Butter Buttercream


Randy Butter is a brandy, cocoa butter and rum scented buttercream, which on paper sounds like a beautiful boozy Christmas product. It contains coconut oil, cocoa butter and fair trade shea butter to moisturise the skin, as well as brandy, cinnamon leaf oil and cognac oil to add to the scent. Although I'm not a fan of alcohol-scented products, I figured this would be similar to Ponche, in that the alcohol would be used as an afterthought to give the lotion a spicy kick.

Unfortunately, the brandy is very much at the forefront of this scent, and smells far too potent to be enjoyed by anybody who doesn't particularly like the smell of the popular spirit. This proved even more unbearable when I attempted to use it in the shower. With the hot water elevating the smell, this buttercream was unbearable, and I ended up having to exhume the bathroom before having another shower to rinse off the smell that clung to me. 

For those unfamiliar with what a buttercream is, it's a combination of soap and shower gel; a softer-style soap that can be used like a shower gel, but contains key ingredients to help soften and repair dry skin. It doesn’t contain as many surfactants as traditional soap, so it won’t lather up like you’re used to, but this does mean it’s especially good for those people who find normal soap can sometimes dry their skin out.

Despite it's scent, I do have something positive to say about the Randy Butter, which is that, for the brief time I attempted to use it in the shower (whilst holding my nose), it did make my skin feel soft and moisturised. Unfortunately, it's smell also did a good job of lingering on skin for hours after initial use, which would be fantastic for those who love the fragrance, but for me it felt like I had been on a night out, vomited my drink on myself and then just forgotten to take a shower the next day. 

Overall, I was not impressed with this product one bit (is it obvious?!?) and would definitely never use it again. Although, I would like to point out that those who do enjoy the smell of brandy, will no doubt love this product. This is definitely a 'marmite' sort of product (you either love it or hate it), and unfortunately, I'm in the latter category. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Water, Glycerine, Rapeseed Oil and Coconut Oil, Cocoa Butter, Perfume, Fair Trade Shea Butter, Brandy, Sodium Hydroxide, Cinnamon Leaf Oil, Davana Oil, Fair Trade Vanilla Absolute, Rum ether, Cognac Oil, Sodium Chloride, EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Gardenia Extract, *Eugenol, *Benzyl Benzoate, *Limonene, *Linalool, Coumarin

Vegan?: Yes

2015 Price: £10.75 for 240g.


10 comments

  1. I love this buttercream. I think it smells so good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad someone loves it - hehe! In all seriousness, I've never been a fan of the smell or taste of alcohol, so I fully accept that this is probably why I dislike this product so much :)

      Delete
  2. Aw, I love this buttercream! I only use it when I'm showering at night because of how strong the smell is. But it's definitely relaxing and luxurious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kinda assumed It wuld be a Bar Drink Cinnamon Rum shot scent too.. loll Not too sure if i wanna try it now..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually bought a fresh to reevaluate - I just remember it being so pungent that it made me feel pretty unwell :(

      Delete
  4. I really wish I had read this before purchasing, I got my Kitchen order the other day and after smelling it, I'm not sure if I even want to put it on my body- ick! I love drinking alcohol, but I don't want to bathe in it! This one is just too pungent for my taste.

    http://fortheloveoflush.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bought it online, tried it on my hands, totally regretted it. Potent and lasting cognac scent; I wish I had read this review first! I finally got the scent off by scrubbing with Ocean Salt and lathering on Charity Pot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish I read this first. I could not stand the scent when my order came in! After showering I slathered my skin in Sympathy for the Skin and found it left a boozy eggnog scent on my skin which was, in fact, very pleasant! I know smell like the EggSnog lip balm. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I smell like a baked apple pie after I use this!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I first bought this, I got it for my mom. I hated the smell, she never used it...so I swiped it bc I didn't want it to go to waste. Took some time for me to get use to the smell dry, but using it...wow. If you wanted to smell like an apple aka So White (BLECH!!!) this is way better. I come out super soft and smelling like a freshly baked warm apple pie, and no fake smell to it whatsoever. Man I love this one, I hope it comes in the kitchen soon.

    ReplyDelete


UP