Recently

9 July 2015

Devil's Nightcap Liquid Perfume


I remember when I first went into a Lush store a little while after they released the Volume 2 perfume range. Drawn in by the allure of the wonderful bottle designs, colours and odd descriptions, I couldn't help but have a sniff of all of them, one by one. While I was only really put off by Hellstone, which I was relieved to discover was not vegan, I remember having mixed feelings about this particular perfume.

Devil's Nightcap is an odd fragrance - one that I would describe as being rather contradictory of itself. It's both a female and a male smelling perfume - one that is both cold and warm on the skin, and one that can be both heavy and light on the wearer. It's a rather strange experience.

Featuring both oakmoss and oakwood absolute near the top of the ingredients list, this perfume is obviously dominated by a deep, oakmoss note. It's a rather damp mossy smell but one that is far from the forest-y scent of Tramp. This one has a naturally sweet edge which makes it far more uplifting and refreshing.                                                                                                                                                                       As someone described it in their review, the initial note of this perfume is one that smells somewhere between parma violets and damp moss - it's a natural earthy smell but one that is made more appealing by the inclusion of ylang ylang and orange flower absolute. 
Lush describe this perfume as 'a walk through the ancient countryside with the sea air in your lungs', which I find rather strange as I don't get the sense of the seaside in the fragrance. Instead, I envisage an unkempt garden on a hot summer's day - a fragrance that brings out the wet, earthy aromas of the overgrown weeds whilst referencing the sweetness of the flowers as well. 

It's a rather complex fragrance - once that settles on the skin fairly quickly and gives off a wonderful warming aroma. While the oakmoss starts out as the leading smell, this soon disperses and allows a gentle floral smell to come through, which is very beautiful and lingers on your body for many hours - offering little bursts throughout the day.   

While it's name may deter many people from trying out this perfume, it's one I have grown to love and I even consider it to be one of my favourite from this particular round of Lush perfumes. While it's not unique enough to become a signature perfume for me, it is one I will continue to wear.

Quantitative Ingredients: DRF Alcohol, Perfume, Oakmoss Absolute, Oakwood Absolute, Orange Flower Absolute, Citronellol, Methyl Ionone, Hydroxycitronellal, Limonene, Linalool, Geraniol, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Salicylate, Cinnamyl Alcohol, Isoeugenol, Benzyl Benzoate, Farnesol, Eugenol, Citral.

Vegan?: Yes.

2015 Price: £40 for 30ml.

Scent Family:
Devil's Nightcap Liquid Perfume
Devil's Nightcap Soap

2 comments

  1. What's the longevity like for this perfume? It sounds like a lovely Winter option.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this one. it's unique, and smells like everything I love about outdoors; damp moss and earth and hay. No flowery, girly perfume here. Worth every penny to me.

    ReplyDelete


UP