Recently

29 July 2015

Layer Cake Soap


With only a matter of days before the new season of The Great British Bake Off begins on TV, I thought it was rather relevant to try out this soap for the first time, given that it is inspired by the show itself. Designed to look like the very cakes that have featured across the many series, this soap plays a particular homage to the Mil Hojas that were featured on the last season - a french multi-layered dessert that sandwiches puff pastry between layers of custard and cream.

Packed full of various juices, Layer Cake is a sweet, fruity and very gorgeous smelling soap - one that is perfectly suited for the warmer weather that I hope makes an appearance over the coming weeks - one that will appeal to all of those Lush fans who enjoy Lush's others soaps - most notably Miranda and Sunny Citrus

How this soap differs from others is that each layer contains a different juice - a construction that not only makes this a very unique product, but one that is vivid in colour and scent. Together, the different sections smell like a sour starburst sweet - a sweet, zesty offering with clear notes of pineapple, grape and raspberry at the forefront. Imagine Miranda but even more tart - it's wonderful. 

Individually they have their own fragrance. Containing white grape juice in the green layer, pineapple juice in the yellow part, raspberry juice in the red layer, blueberry juice in the purple and orange juice for the orange segment, this is soap that needs to be experienced to be enjoyed. While I found it quite difficult to pinpoint a huge difference between the various colours, there was definitely an array of different smells that came from my small chunk and I look forward to exploring this further. 

What I love about this soap is that it's really refreshing - both the colour and fragrance offering an invigorating and very crisp wake-up call first thing in the morning. The scent tends to drift around you while you're in the shower, leaving you feeling really clean and uplifted, while the soap gets to work at helping to cleanse your skin. 

In the shower, this soap lathers up fairly well - producing a light, fluffy foam what really works at cleaning the skin, leaving it feeling and smelling wonderful. Although I was slightly disappointed that the fragrance didn't seem to strengthen under the water, I was happy to find that I could smell the citrus elements of this for many hours on my skin, albeit fairly faintly.

As many of Lush's soaps tend to do, this one made my hands a little parched after use but I liked how smooth and clean my skin felt and didn't find that it as drying as I was expecting it to be. While it didn't leave my body feeling as soft as a shower gel would, it did a good job at brightening up my skin and leaving me feeling well-pampered for the day ahead. 
This happens to be one of my favourite soaps from Lush's new Oxford Street range - a collection that seems to be impressing me more and more with each new soap. This beautiful, fruity release is easily the brightest looking and smelling release in the shop and will be a big hit one it reaches other stores. I will definitely be buying this again. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Glycerine, Rapeseed Oil; Coconut Oil (Brassica napus; Cocos nucifera), Sorbitol, Perfume, Fresh Grape Juice (Vitis vinifera), Fresh Orange Juice (Citrus Aurantium dulcis), Fresh Pineapple Juice (Ananas sativus), Fresh Blueberry Juice (Vaccinium myrtillus), Fresh Raspberry Juice (Rubus idaeus), Brazilian Orange Oil (Citrus sinensis), Sodium Chloride, EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Sodium Hydroxide, Limonene, Colour 45350, Colour 14700, Colour 17200, Colour 42090, Colour 45410. 

Vegan?: Yes. 

2015 Price: £3.40 for 100g.

Year Of Original Release: 2015. 

4 comments

  1. Ooooh I love the sound of this soap, and it looks devine! I am going to London in Novemeber to see a bunch of Broadway shows and while I am there I will definitely we visiting LUSH Oxford Street. I am going to compile a list of what I want to get - your blog is helping me immensely to decide!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds so exciting - what are you going to see? And visiting Oxford Street is a must if you're in central! Any products you're definitely going to get?

      Delete
  2. I bought this soap and my piece didn't smell very strongly at all- I could hardly detect it on my skin after using it! I guess I might just have bought a piece that was out for a while or something. I think that I'm going to use it to make a sugar scrub instead as the inclusion of a few more oils and the sweetness of the sugar may bring the fruity flavour out more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that sucks but a scrub sounds amazing! I might join you on making one with my leftover piece!

      Delete


UP