Recently

24 November 2018

Yog Nog Yule Log Bubble Bar




Cake is my number one pleasure in life. Any shape, size or flavour: if it's vegan, I'm all over it. When I saw this little number make its debut online, my mouth began to salivate immediately, and the thought of replicating this as an edible Battenburg is still something I'm hoping to do in the next couple of weeks. 

What makes Yog Nog Yule Log Bubble Bar so special is the fact that it is perhaps one of the most time-consuming products to make in the factory. Someone has to actually 'roll' and construct the product from scratch, and then ice it like a real cake, which makes this limited edition even more appealing in my eyes.

Sharing its scent with the Yog Nog range, this is one of many products released this year with the same fragrance. In fact, I would go ahead and say that this is definitely the year of the Yog Nog craze, and rightly so. Who wouldn't want a bubble bar that smells like the world's greatest dessert?

Impressively, when this seasonal product arrives through your door, or you go to pick one up in store, you may be surprised when you realise just how big each of the chunks are. This is easily the biggest bubble bar to have come from the company in a long time, and would easily rival that of The Comforter and Blue Skies And Fluffy White Clouds. This thing is massive, and to use the entire one in a single bath would be an utter waste.

Having said that, there were a few issues with Yog Nog Yule Log that prevented this limited edition from being as good as it could have been. Scent wise, this is spot on when compared to the bath bomb and the original soap that first saw the fragrance make its debut.

The smell of this bubble bar is like a rich, buttery caramel pudding with a warming, comforting layer of cinnamon interlaced throughout. It's both thick and wholesomely creamy, and reminds me of a freshly made caramel or fudge mousse, with a drizzle of maple syrup and a grating of chocolate on top. To say it's a foody smell, would be to state the very obvious: you will literally want to sink your teeth into this bubble bar as soon as you get your hands on it.

What I will say about Yog Nog Yule Log is that the fragrance of this is not as pronounced as with other formats, and I would even describe it as being a little reserved. This latter point is perhaps what's most disappointing about the product, as in the water this beautiful fragrance is lost quite a bit. I found that the scent faded very quickly in the tub and using other cosmetics alongside this just overpowered it altogether. 

What excited me the most about this Yule Log was that the outer layer is a thick blanket of both cocoa and shea butters, which I assumed would then make this seasonal bubble bar extremely moisturising. Unfortunately, I found that the water was fairly average in terms of how softening it was, and while it definitely left my skin lovely and smooth, I was hoping for something a little more intense.


Quite a number of consumers have already claimed that they weren't able to generate very many bubbles from using a piece of this under their running tap. However, I actually found that that bubble bar was fairly generous, and this was without me having to stimulate them myself. I wouldn't say that the amount of bubbles was incredible, but it definitely didn't appear any worse than your average bubble bar. As to be expected, the colour of the water was a very pale yellow and not exactly something you'd want to write home about.

Because of the fact that the scent didn't fare well in the water, I wasn't able to detect any hint of the fragrance on my skin afterwards, although my skin did appear to have a slightly gleam to it which was impressive. Having said that, given how incredible this product should and could have been, the overall results were a little bit disappointing. While I'm not saying that this is a terrible product at all, it definitely doesn't feel like a finished product for me at all.    

Quantitative Ingredients: Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cream of Tartar, Fair Trade Organic Cocoa Butter, Fair Trade Shea Butter, Laureth 4, Lauryl Betaine, Perfume, Titanium Dioxide, Clove Bud Oil, Ylang Ylang Oil, Gardenia Extract, Fair Trade Organic Cinnamon Powder, Nutmeg powder, Soya Milk Powder, Soya yoghurt, Synthetic Fluorphlogopite, Tin Oxide, *Eugenol, *Linalool, Colour 19140, Colour 77491.

Vegan?: Yes. 

2018 Price: £5.95 each.

Year Of Original Release: 2018.


Scent Family:
Yog Nog Bath Bomb
Yog Nog Body Lotion
Yog Nog FUN Bar
Yog Nog Liquid Perfume (2014)

Yog Nog Liquid Perfume (2018)
Yog Nog Perfume Oil
Yog Nog Shower Smoothie
Yog Nog Soap
Yog Nog Solid Perfume
Yog Nog Yule Log Bubble Bar Slice


No comments

Post a Comment


UP