Recently

28 August 2015

Deo My B.O Solid Deodorant Bar


As with quite a number of products from Lush, when I first started using their innovative alternatives to deodorant, I found that I just didn't get on with the different formats that they offered. While I was desperate to find myself a product that could replace the usual shop-bought antiperspirant, none of Lush's variations worked for me.

And then I found Sunflower - a product that I could have easily walked straight past in the Oxford Street store, but luckily took the plunge and purchased - later turning out to be the best decision that I had made that day. So when it came to trialling out the new Deo My B.O Deodorant Bar, I looked to the experience with a little more optimism than I would have initially done had I not tried the aforementioned product first. 

Sporting the same design as the regular T'eo Deodorant Bar, this beautiful looking oval is packed full of various oils to not only help absorb any excess moisture that may form there, but work to relieve your underarms of unwanted smells as well - leaving you feeling clean, refreshed and ready to face the day ahead. 

With a pastel green-coloured wax base and dried Delphinium petals adorned across the surface, this is probably the prettiest of all of the Lush deodorants. Yet I was rather disappointed to find that the scent that accompanied it was very subtle indeed, which was especially frustrating when the fragrance I could detect was so wonderful and would work wonders as a perfume. 

Boasting the inclusion of bergamot, neroli, juniperberry and lemon oils, not to mention fennel juice, this product offers a delicate floral aroma with a hint of sweetness to round it off. As I mentioned above, it's a very weak smell so I cannot imagine anyone disliking this because it doesn't make a strong enough impression to do so. 

As with T'eo, I was initially unsure about how best to go about using it - whether or not your underarms are wet or dry, this is not a product that yields a lot from either scenario. However, I found it slightly more useful to make sure that my armpits were left slightly damp after getting out of the shower so the product worked a little better. 

Rubbing it gently onto your skin, the lycopodium powder gets to work at absorbing excess moisture and neutralising any odours that may be present - working to eradicate these problems completely rather than masking the smells that may then multiply throughout the day. 

Annoyingly, the floral decoration completely dropped off on the initial use, so while it may serve a purpose to look attractive in the store, it's not very practical when you begin using the product. However, this really wasn't that much of a problem and I know to remove the petals before using it next time. 

In hindsight, I imagine this being a product that you carry with you in your bag - topping up every few hours throughout the day to prevent smells and moisture from seeping through and causing embarrassment. While initially I was treating this as a direct alternative to the roll on, I realise now that I had to change my state of mind when it came to how and when I used this deodorant - breaking a habit that I had been practicing for near on 20 years. 

After getting into the mindset of how to use this product, I found that I really enjoyed how the product left me feeling. I noticed that a 'top up' every couple of hours kept me dry throughout an entire working day and I didn't notice hardly any odour at all. While I think I would need something a little stronger if I was looking for something to leave me smelling lovely after a gym session, as a regular deodorant I found that it does its job and gave me the confidence to not rely on any nasty chemical-riddled commercial alternatives instead.

While massaging this onto the skin doesn't leave any trace of the product, and may look as if it hasn't worked at all, I recognise that it is effective at absorbing that excess moisture and does remove unwanted odours. If you're someone you likes to 'smell' your deodorant to know that it's working, it may be worth you spraying yourself with your favourite perfume after using this - safe in the knowledge that your deodorant has worked and that you smell rather lovely to boot. 

My only word of warning would be to not apply this after shaving your underarms; I found that swiping this too soon caused an unpleasant stinging sensation that I certainly wouldn't want to experience again. While this may not have impressed me as much as Sunflower did, its definitely one that I will rely upon to keep me fresh and clean for the foreseeable months. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Sodium Bicarbonate, Cream of Tartar (Potassium bitartrate), Baobab Oil (Adansonia digitata), Green Wax (Specerit Green), Lycopodium Powder, Magnesium Carbonate, Perfume, Sicilian Lemon Oil (Citrus limonum), Fresh Fennel Juice (Foeniculum vulgare), Water (Aqua), Delphinium Petals (Delphinium staphisagria), Bergamot Oil (Citrus Aurantium bergamia), Neroli Oil (Citrus Aurantium amara), Juniperberry Oil (Juniperus communis), Amyl Cinnamal, *Benzyl Benzoate, *Benzyl Cinnamate, *Benzyl Salicylate, *Citral, Eugenol, *Farnesol, Geraniol, Hydoxycitronellal, *Limonene, *Linalool.

Vegan?: Yes.

2015 Price: £6.95 each.

Year Of Original Release: 2015. 


4 comments

  1. Hey Jen, this is unrelated to the deodorant but do you know when the oxford street products that are now available on the UK site will be available in the US?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey lovely - if you still haven't heard, Lush have no pencilled dates over the next 6-8 weeks to bring out various products across the stores! It varies with each store and what they get, but they are coming! :)

      Delete
  2. I tried the solid deodorant bars once, but they felt rather harsh on my skin when I applied them and left sometimes my skin irritated. Am I using them wrong? I simply rub them gently onto my skin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is what you do. To begin with, I saw these bars as being direct replacements of my roll on deodorant, but actually, they're supposed to dry the skin and thwart any smells with the gentle aroma. I find that this one irritates me if I apply it directly after shaving but it should work if you just gentle exfoliate the area. Don't expect any product to be visible on your skin afterwards. : )

      Delete


UP