Recently

19 September 2018

Ghost In The Dark Soap



When I heard about Ghost In The Dark Soap for the first time, I was initially a little reserved about whether or not I would appreciate its merits. For those new to Lush, the company have a 'classic' soap called Demon In The Dark, which is a beautiful looking soap but is comprised of both apple and mint. Unfortunately for myself, those two notes do not go down well together for my nose, and I find it one of the least desirable smells that Lush have ever created. Upon arrival however, I fell in love and was completely in awe of the soap when I realised that it shared its scent with Avobath.

Seen as a staple bath bomb in my house hold, Avobath is a strong and very citrusy combination of lemongrass and bergamot oil. This combination is the perfect solution first thing in the mornings, when you're struggling to prise open your eyes and you just want to slip back under the covers. While I don't use this bath bomb very often, I do tend to pick one up when I know I have a long and tiering day ahead of me. 

What I will say about Ghost In The Dark Soap is that it offers an identical fragrance to that of its sibling bath bomb. Most of the time we can rely upon Lush to mimic a scent well, and this limited edition proves this once again. If you're a fan of Avobath, you'll need to grab a number of these before the season is over.

Immediately, you can smell the strong and very refreshing note of lemongrass, which as I've described in other reviews is both super crisp first thing in the morning, and equally uplifting for those who need an extra boost. This is definitely the most dominating aspect of this soap and it's one of Lush's most robust smells for certain.

What you'll be able to notice about the scent of this soap is that both the fruity element and the grassy element work in perfect unison with each other. While the lemongrass is very natural and potent, the bergamot adds a very subtle note of sweetness behind this, which removes the harshness of the lemongrass and rounds the smell off to a beautiful finish.

Just like the bath bomb, this soap engulfs your senses whilst you're showering, lingers on your skin for a good while after you've towelled yourself down, and leaves a lasting impression is the bathroom as well. I walked continuously back and forward past my bathroom door after using this one morning, and found that I could still smell traces of the soap some three hours after showering.

What is equally as impressive is that it lathers up very quickly so you don't need to massage it continuously to clean yourself with. While it produces suds much more like a shower cream, so it'll coat your skin rather than create lots of foam to massage across your body, the cream you do produce is silky soft and feels beautiful when in use.

So it's no surprise then that Ghost In The Dark proved to be very moisturising indeed, and my skin felt all the better for using it. Although I knew that it contained cocoa butter in the base, there are often times when I don't reap the rewards of that when I'm using a product. However, this is one of those rare soaps that actually felt as if I had used a shower cream instead. My body felt soft to the touch, and I could have easily gone the full day without moisturising at all.  

While I haven't been using this long, the soap does feel as if it could shrink quite quickly under the water, so I would suggest that you massage it between your hands and then move it away from the running shower hose. In addition, I would also suggest that you pat it down in between uses, to remove excess moisture, or at the very least leave it somewhere cool and dry.

While the soap doesn't match the colour of Avobath, what is impressive is that Ghost In The Dark contains luminescent zinc sulfide in the ingredients list. This is what allows the soap to quite literally glow in the dark, and this soap really does keep its promises and do just that. However, there are a few concerns about whether this particular ingredient is safe to use on the skin.

What I have discovered is that luminescent zinc sulfide is the only FDA-approved compound that can be used in cosmetics to create the effect of glowing in the dark. Quite a number of bigger brands tend to include a small amount in their concealers and highlighters to attract the light when the wearer applies it to their face.

However, scientists have stated that products featuring this ingredient should only be used occasionally, as regular use can irritate the skin and could cause further damage. While the amount present in this soap would be incredibly small, and would most likely not cause any reactions at all to take place, it is probably worth noting that this soap should perhaps be used a little cautiously. Although I personally don't believe regular use would cause any harm at all, those with sensitive skin might want to observe any changes to their skin, if they do decide to use this on a regular basis. 

Overall, I am super impressed with how strong the scent of this soap; how easy it lathers in the shower; and how wonderful it leaves my skin feeling. The fact that it glows in the dark is a novelty bonus that I very much approve of, and it just adds to the magic that is Halloween. I will definitely be buying a few more of these before the season is out and I hope this is an indication of the amazing soaps to come this Christmas.

Quantitative Ingredients: Water (Aqua), Propylene, Glycol, Fair Trade Organic Cocoa Butter, Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, Organic Castor Oil, Sodium Hydroxide, Perfume, Lemongrass Oil, Luminescent Zinc Sulfide, Bergamot Oil, Citric Acid, Glycerine, Titanium Dioxide, Sodium Bicarbonate, *Citral, *Geraniol, *Limonene, *Linalool.

Vegan?: Yes.

2018 Price: £ each.

Year Of Original Release: 2018.

Scent Family:
Avobath Ballistic
Avojelly Shower Jelly
Avowash/Avoshower Shower Gel
Crackersnap Ballistic
Ghost In The Dark Soap

Luck Of The Irish Bath Bomb


  

No comments

Post a Comment


UP