Recently

7 May 2019

Dear John Naked Shower Gel



Like a new shoe that takes a while to fit the shape of your foot, my initial impression of Lush's naked shower gels wasn't exactly the most enthusiastic. No matter how much I loved the sentiment behind their progressive products, and how excited I was to see how they would work in the shower, my introduction to this new concept didn't heed promising results. I always found the liquid version to be stronger in scent; easier to lather; and much more moisturising than their naked counterparts.

However, the company have most likely spent a lot of time reworking and trialing different versions of these naked gels, as the last few I have tried have actually surpassed my expectations and replaced the liquid version as my favourite. This is why I was super excited to try out the brand new Dear John Naked Shower Gel.

While not my favourite colour by any means, the gorgeous shade of blue that this limited edition sports is simply beautiful, and definitely very suited to the fragrance that this naked gel offers. In the shower, this shower gel lathers up with ease: producing a creamy gel-like substance to massage across your body. 

What impressed me the most was that I needed very little to clean my whole body with. The second I began to lather it across my skin, it foamed up even more, and I was able to stretch it further. This meant that after using it for a week, I could barely see any difference in the size or shape of the naked gel. For this reason, I can imagine this limited edition lasting for a good two to three months (at least!) before it became too small to use in the same manner. 

Despite the lack of 'key ingredients' in the write up of this, the idea behind Dear John is that it is a multi-layered, complex aroma created as an ode to Mark Constantine's dad. What I noticed straight away with this naked version, was that there seemed to be far less emphasis on the delicate citrusy layer that has featured in every other format of this fragrance so far.

While it is still there, it's very low in the mix - almost as if the other components have overridden its power this time around. Instead, you'll find a warm woodiness and a slightly spicy smokiness as well. The cedarwood and vetivert work together to create a warm, rounded creamy smell, with just the subtlest hint of coffee in the background. Many consumers would probably describe it as being a more masculine fragrance. However, I think it plays a better role at being an alluring and very interesting unisex aroma.         

One difference between the liquid and the naked gel is that the latter is far creamier, and appears to be more rounded. In fact, there is something slightly (but very delicately) nutty about the naked version, which I think is more suited to the Dear John scent overall. It is for this reason that I actually found myself preferring this naked gel to the original shower gel.

If you have to choose between buying the liquid or naked version, I would honestly recommend that you buy Dear John Naked Shower Gel. It feels more moisturising on the skin; I was able to detect the scent for a good hour after I had exited the shower; and the fragrance of this one just seems more inviting overall.

Quantitative Ingredients: Propylene Glycol, Sodium Stearate, Sodium Coco Sulfate, Sodium Cocoamphoacetate, Glycerine, Fresh Coriander and Fair Trade Organic Clove Extract, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Perfume, Cedarwood Oil, Vetivert Oil, Coriander Seed Oil, Clove Bud Oil, *Citral, *Coumarin, *Eugenol, *Limonene, *Linalool, Colour 42090, Colour 42090:2, Colour 17200.

Vegan?: Yes.

2019 Price: £11.50 each.

Year Of Original Release: 2019.

No comments

Post a Comment


UP