Recently

11 May 2019

Cookie Dough Lip Scrub



I haven't met a single person who doesn't love the idea of eating cookie dough, and to be honest I couldn't imagine getting on with anybody who disliked it enough so say so. While my sweet tooth is usually satisfied with the daily protein shakes I fuel my body with, finding my willpower to not eat an entire raw batch is harder than squatting my body weight at the gym.

For this reason, I wasn't at all surprised when the Lush community went a little crazy over the Cookie Dough Lip Scrub, when it first made an appearance in the Liverpool Store. I can't deny that I wasn't at least a little intrigued myself to see how close the smell and taste replicated actual cookie dough. Strangely, I found that the fragrance didn't remind me of the sweet treat at all, but that's not to say that it wasn't delicious.

As with every one of Lush's lip scrubs, the key ingredient is caster sugar: a natural exfoliant that not only removes dead skin and debris from the lips, but helps to make the process a little more tasty and enjoyable. Along with a few essential oils, this little scrub will hydrate, soften and plump out your lips, with regular use, and leave them noticeably smoother and healthier.

Alongside the sugar, Cookie Dough contains shea butter, hazelnut oil, vanilla absolute and carob resinoid: a handful of ingredients that go into producing one of the most wonderfully mouth-watering products that the company currently offer. This lip scrub is definitely very dessert-like to my nose, but wouldn't remind me of cookie dough if it hadn't been given that name.

When sniffed up close, there are two prominent notes. Firstly, there's a strong, almost slightly nutty note of the almond oil, which I happen to think is the strongest component of this scrub. Alongside this, there is a sweet and very warming note of vanilla absolute, with just the slightest bitterness of the carob resinoid to finish. 

If I was to compare it to any sort of pudding I've experienced, I would say it is far more in-keeping with the likes of a vanilla and almond sponge; or a bowl of vanilla custard with a cacao and almond sauce over the top. Maybe I've been making my cookie dough a different way all of these years, but none of my batches have ever matched the smell of this lip scrub.

What I will say is that, on the lips, Cookie Dough tastes like a piece of vanilla fudge, and I can see why it would be very easy to eat more than the intended purpose of the product. However, when it comes to the fragrance of the whole scrub, there is something slightly bitter about it that doesn't sit well with me as well as I was expecting it to. Either the hazelnut or the almond oil is a little too strong in the mix, which prevents this scrub from being as yummy as it potentially could have been.

Having said that, Cookie Dough works exactly as you would expect a lip scrub to do, and heeds great results. You simply need to scoop out a tiny amount with your finger - rubbing the scrub all over your lips in a circular motion. The best part is that you then need to use your tongue to lick off the excess sugar, which leaves your lips looking less parched and weathered, and feeling a whole lot better than they did a few seconds beforehand. 


Although this process is completely safe, and the scrub is intended for consumption, I wouldn't suggest that you scoop out masses and eat it by itself (although we've all been tempted!). While a small amount on the lips does taste rather yummy, I can safely say that these scrubs don't work as a replacement for a regular dessert; there is still something 'soapy' about the taste of this, if too much is ingested.

Overall, Cookie Dough Lip Scrub is another great variation from Lush, but one that I wouldn't claim to be my favourite. At the risk of repeating myself, the taste of this is very dessert-like although not at all like the cookie dough I have sampled in my time. As one of these tubs tends to last almost a full year, I don't really have any need to buy another one. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Caster Sugar, Organic Jojoba Oil, Granulated Sugar, Fair Trade Shea Butter, Hazelnut Oil, Fine Sea Salt, Vanilla Absolute, Almond essential oil, Balsam Fir Resin, Carob Resinoid, Gardenia Extract, Pistachio Oil, Cocoa Powder, Titanium Dioxide, *Limonene, Flavour.

Vegan?: Yes.

2019 Price: £2.95 each.

Year Of Original Release: 2019.


1 comment


UP