Recently

26 May 2019

Wasabi Shan Kui Liquid Shampo



While I probably eat sushi about once a year, when I do it is usually because I have a hankering for wasabi more than anything else. There is something about that spicy condiment that truly satisfies my tastebuds, even when I overindulge and burn my tongue in the process.

When Wasabi Shan Kui Liquid Shampoo first made an appearance in the Lush liverpool store, complete with its vibrant green exterior, my mind was a-blur with confusing thoughts of how exactly applying horseradish to my hair was going to do anything but cause an unpleasant sting. Priced up at nearly £20 for a 300g bottle was also enough to make me hesitate for a split second: was I really going to spend that much for something I'd usually dip my sushi into?

Within the Lush community, it's very easy to find yourself being ushered into a frenzy when it comes to a product such as this. To begin with, I read a lot of very positive reviews regarding Wasabi, and after a couple of uses I was ready t share that excitement as well. However, when it comes to hair care, I always allow a few weeks of continuous use before I publish a review, simply to ensure that I get a well-rounded experience before I showcase my opinion.
Containing a powerhouse of wasabi, caffeine powder and menthol crystals, this shampoo promises to do many things when it comes to your hair. The former two ingredients work on stimulating your scalp to promote hair growth, which on a longer time scale also looks to add volume and strength to your locks as well.

With a generous helping of both epsom salts and sea salt, this shampoo also offered an immediate boost in thickness across my whole head, which was something I noticed from the very first time I used the shampoo. Alongside the aquafaba, which contains an impressive amount of protein, Wasabi definitely added noticeable volume to my locks and I could feel the difference when I ran my fingers through my hair.

Alongside all of these ingredients, Lush have also included both agave syrup and fresh horseradish, which between them add a combination of antimicrobial and anti-bacterial properties to keep your hair clean and healthy. The latter ingredient is also naturally high in vitamins which serves to keep your hair even healthier after prolonged use.

Lemon, rose and orange oils also play an important role in creating this shampoo. Not only do they leave a big impression on the overall fragrance (which I shall discuss in a moment) but they also work on cleaning and cleansing the hair, whilst adding a natural shine to it afterwards. Finally, the inclusion of the olive oil builds upon that shine as well, whilst inducing the hair with lots of vitamin E and oleic acid to strengthen the hair from root to tip.
With all of these ingredients present, it's probably rather difficult to imagine exactly what Wasabi Shan Kui Shampoo actually smells like. In the bottle, I can smell something that I would describe as being a little sweet and sherbet-like, whilst also holding a gentle note of both wasabi and something that I can only describe as being a little mossy. My first impressions were that it's no way near as offensive as you might assume it would be, given the hefty ingredients list.

Once on your hair, the wasabi is perhaps a little more prominent, although it is combined with both the citrus and the rose oils to sweeten the fragrance and add a subtle cloud of floral underneath. This is definitely not a foody smell by any means, but there is something quite fresh and green-like about it that might still sit uncomfortably for some people's noses. What I will say about this shampoo is that it definitely has a very unique aroma.

What is great about this shampoo is that you don't need much at all to produce a thick, fluffy lather. Half a grape-sized amount is more than sufficient to coat your whole hair with, and you an immediately feel your locks thicken as you massage it across your hair and scalp. Interestingly enough, you can actually feel the little pieces of salt as you lather this up, and within a matter of seconds you can also feel the tingle of the menthol crystals adding a freshness that makes it perfect for the warmer months.

Unfortunately, once I had rinsed the shampoo out of my hair, I could feel that my hair felt very dry and brittle. The ends of my hair were matted and very split, and this condition scared me into thinking that I had truly damaged my hair on a long term basis. While my hair felt really clean overall, the condition wasn't what I was hoping it would be to begin with.
However, once my hair had fully dried, I did notice some improvements. Much like when I first applied it, my hair continued to offer a much more volumised look and feel, and this stayed with me until I washed my hair again some two days later. Furthermore, Wasabi gave my locks a very natural, and equally noticeable, shine to it which made it look as if I had used a conditioner when I in fact not used one at all.

My only concerns with Wasabi Shan Kui is that those consumers with very dry hair may need an extra dosage of moisture to stop their hair going completely offer the scale. As my hair is rather thin and naturally wispy, I did find that this shampoo became a little too intense for my hair, and with bi-daily usage I found that my hair appeared far too messy to wear down by itself. For those reason, I only use this shampoo once a week, and I have found that this is enough to add volume whilst giving enough time for my hair to also receive lots of moisture from other products as well. However, I think that those with hair that is less frizzy than mine will no doubt find many merits in using this as their regular shampoo.

Overall, I have enjoyed using this shampoo, and my little 100g bottle has barely shrunk in size since I have begun doing so. For hair that needs volume and shine, Wasabi is definitely a shampoo that boasts the ability to offer both to all hair types. Having said that, you'll need to consider how you can hydrate your hair alongside using this as that's the only thing that this shampoo doesn't do particularly well.   

Quantitative Ingredients: Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Wasabi Decoction, Epsom Salts, Hand Harvested Sea Salt, Propylene Glycol, Fresh Horseradish, Organic Agave Syrup, Aquafaba, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Fresh Wasabi, Caffeine Powder, Sicilian Lemon Oil, Rose Oil, Organic Sweet Orange Oil, Fresh Lemon Juice, Menthol Crystals, Gardenia Extract, Water (Aqua), Fair Trade Olive Oil, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Bicarbonate, *Citral, *Limonene, *Linalool, Perfume, Chlorophyllin, Colour 19140.

Vegan?: Yes.

2019 Price: £8.95 for 100g, £17.95 for 300g, £29.95 for 500g, £50.95 for 1kg.

Year Of Original Release: 2019.


No comments

Post a Comment


UP