Recently

19 May 2019

Star Spell Bath Bomb



As I come to the end of reviewing all of the products released by Lush to celebrate the thirtieth anniversary of the 'bath bomb', I am finding a few surprises along the way, which always adds a little extra treat to the experience of using each bath bomb to begin with.

When I first gave Star Spell a sniff, squeezed as it was between two of the forty other bath bombs that had arrived on my doorstep that day, I can honestly say that I didn't smell very much at all. In fact, it took a good matter of weeks before the potent fragrance of my order settled enough for me to appreciate them all on an individual basis. This is when I discovered that this beautiful little treat shares its scent with the likes of Snowman Shower Jelly, A Bunch Of Carrots Reusable Bubble Bars and Aster La Vista Soap.

Featuring buchu, lemon and bergamot oils, this bath bomb has a strong - and what I would describe as being a - fizzy, fruity aroma: one that is best suited for those who enjoy uplifting, playful yet rather simplistic smells. Much like how I described the aforementioned products above, this lovely bath bomb offers a fragrance that reminds me of fresh tropical juice with a sherberty twist. 
Yet unlike Aster La Vista and both the Snowman FUN and Jelly, Star Spell is slightly more reserved with its fragrance, and instead has more of a powdery note instead of the zesty top note, which the bath bomb format naturally lends itself to creating. While the aroma is still recognisably from the same scent family, there are some differences between this and the other products in the range.

What sets Star Spell apart from most of the other bath bombs currently available over on Lush's website is that the design has two interlocking pieces that can be separated and used at two different times. While this is not mandatory by any means, consumers who wish to be more conservative with their bath bombs will no doubt appreciate how the design of this bomb lends itself in this way. However, like the greedy minx that I am, I chose to use the whole thing in one go, and this was the result:

Firstly, I should warn you (perhaps a little too excitedly) that I have never heard a louder bath bomb than this one. Packed full of enough popping candy to keep a whole class crackling for a month, Star Spell spits and pops aggressively while the bath bomb is dissolving in the water, and then it continues to crackle gently as you submerge yourself beneath the beautiful orange water.
Once the bath bomb has fully dissolved, the wonderful orange water also offers up a silver sparkle underneath the surface, which doesn't transfer onto your skin at all during your bathing, and washes away with ease after the plug has been pulled. Aside from merely looking pretty, the lustre does also offer a lovely shimmer in the water, which looks absolutely stunning when the sun is shining directly into the bath.

What is great about Star Spell is that it is really moisturising on the skin, even though there is nothing in the ingredients list to suggest what makes it so. The inclusion of the bergamot, buchu and lemon oils also helps to clean out your pores and leaves your skin with a radiant glow afterwards. I was really impressed by how vibrant and beautiful my complexion looked and felt after using this bath bomb.

Interestingly enough, Lush have also included a helping of xanthan gum which supposedly 'makes Star Spell feel cold to the touch.' While the effects of this weren't anywhere near as crisp and cooling as menthol crystals tend to be, there was something rather refreshing about bathing with this one, which made it perfect for the warmer weather at the time.
Unfortunately, the scent of this bath bomb doesn't really make it that far outside of the bath tub and I wasn't able to smell more than the faintest of smells on my skin afterwards. However, it did remain prominent during my time spent in the tub, and it definitely set my mood into a positive one that stayed with me for the rest of the day.

Although not a show-stopper by any means, this bath bomb has 'star' qualities that will make it a popular choice amongst Lushies. Children and adults alike can enjoy this little beauty at any time of the year and this is one that I would definitely consider buying again, at some point in the future.

Quantitative Ingredients: Sodium Bicarbonate, Citric Acid, Popping Candy, Bergamot Oil, Buchu Oil, Sicilian Lemon Oil, Water (Aqua), Titanium Dioxide, Xanthan Gum, Dipropylene Glycol, Calcium Sodium Borosilicate, Tin Oxide, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, *Limonene, Perfume, Colour 47005, Colour 14700.

Vegan?: Yes.

2019 Price: £5.95 each.

Year Of Original Release: 2019.


coming soon!


No comments

Post a Comment


UP