Recently

24 November 2015

Glam Rock Hair Glitter


Glam Rock Hair Glitter is a product from the deepest, darkest vaults of Lush's back catalogue. A product that made a fleeting visit, soon to be destined to spend the rest of its life in the furthest corners of memory. How I managed to acquire one of these I don't know, but I'm not quite sure it was such a good thing.

If there's one thing that I love about Lush, it's their ability to design and create products that don't fit in with the norm; products that no other company would even think about, let alone dare make. Sometimes the company's experimental side pays off and we end up with superior products (massage bars, solid hair care etc...) and then there's products that leave us thinking - what was that? I think this product fits under the latter category. 

This solid bar was released over ten years ago, I believe as a Christmas special, for the party-goers who weren't satisfied with the hundreds of other 'going out' products that were already available on the market. What more could a person want than lip sticks, balms, tints, gloss and stains, eye shadows and liners, toners and contours, foundations and concealers, nail varnish and transfers, hair gel, wax, jelly, moose and spray? Yes you guessed it, hair glitter!
The product is supposed to be used as a final touch up before you head out the door. Simply massage the bar through the areas you want a little sparkle and there you have it - a stylised and far more glittery alternative to dandruff. I'm being sarcastic of course, but you get my drift.

Unfortunately, Lush assume that anyone wishing to use this will already have another product present in their hair to give something for the glitter to stick to. For someone like myself, who never uses anything aside from shampoo and conditioner, this product simply doesn't work, and in fact, makes my hair feel incredibly dry. Not only this, but I experienced the embarrassment of having specks of glitter falling out of my hair every time I moved, which just made me look like I was the queen of a flakey scalp. 

While Glam Rock smells rather nice - a sweet, floral aroma made up of vanilla and rose absolute, it doesn't offer much else in the way of productivity. I understand where Lush are coming from by releasing this as a solid product, but I feel it would work much better if the company brought out hair gels and waxes that feature glitter. This would have a much better success rate and would probably appeal to more people. 

I am not at all surprised that this has never made a comeback and I can imagine it being a product that never sees the light of day again. While it's an interesting concept, I cannot say that I am disappointed by this revelation. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Sodium Bicarbonate, Cream of Tartar (Tartaric acid), Red Golden Glitter (Polyethylene terephthalate), Water (Aqua), Olive Oil (Olea europaea), Gardenia Extract (Gardenia jasminoides), Vanilla Absolute (Vanilla planifolia), Neroli Oil (Citrus amara), Rose Absolute (Rosa centifolia), Benzyl Benzoate, Linalool, Hydroxycitronellal, Perfume.

Vegan?: Yes


2 comments

  1. This is a really cool concept, too bad it didn't work very well :/ I love anything glittery so I probably would've been all over this had I known Lush existed (and I had money...) 10 years ago! I put glitter everywhere, and I've found Fairy Dust does a great job as a lightweight dry shampoo/hair glitter combo, with no gross fallout!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember this product! I bought and used it like 10 years ago, but I actually loved it. I used it on my body instead of my hair, and was addicted to the smell. I remember looking for it at Lush stores for years after, and was always disappointed when the employees had no idea what I was talking about. This post totally brought me back to my first Lushie days!

    ReplyDelete


UP