Recently

1 May 2015

Flower's Barrow Liquid Perfume


Flower's Barrow is perhaps one of, if not my favourite perfume from Lush's new Gorilla range. Named after an Iron Age hill fort in Devon, one that was overtaken by the Romans during battle, this perfume was created as a homage to the historical past of the South-West of England, as well as to celebrate the very roots that makes Britain so wonderful. 

Inspired by the flowering hills and quintessential English countryside, this perfume is a beautiful combination of blackcurrant, geranium and rose; a light and refreshing but equally fragrant addition to Lush's scent collection. 

Blackcurrant is definitely the strongest smell here although it's lost the bitterness that I would normally expect from these fresh berries. Instead, this fruit adds a rich velvety note that brings all of the floral elements together nicely, and gives it an all-rounded fruity smell. Next, I can detect the rose and geranium, both of which give the perfume a slight powdery element that tends to dominate the smell once it's on your skin. The addition of chamomile, sage and thyme, give Flower's Barrow a faint herby undertone that compliments the blackcurrant wonderfully and adds those all-important layers to the mix.  

There are so many different layers to this perfume, and the more you use it, the more accustomed you become to each and every one of them. At first, it was only the blackcurrant and rose that stood out for me. However, after a few uses, I began to differentiate the various scents, and I found that once this happened, I was able to pick out different smells every time I wore the perfume. Furthermore, this product smells very similar to the wonderful Blousey Shampoo, which was a lovely surprise.
What I love about Flower's Barrow is that it somehow manages to be a strong, complex scent, yet remains very light on your skin; you don't get any potency when applying this, which is something I was not expecting at all. However, I found that this perfume didn't have much of a lasting impression, and it tends to fade rather rapidly within a couple of hours. 

To me, it's definitely a summer scent - one that would compliment the poignant natural musk of fresh flowers. It's a refreshing aromatic scent with herby, fruity and floral elements that compliment the warmer weather. Additionally, it matures somewhat over the first half an hour of wear; I was able to detect the chamomile and sage a lot clearer once the perfume had set in. The only criticism I would give is that the scent didn't stick around for long and I found myself re-applying this a few times each day. It's one I wear quite often, and I consider it quite an expensive perfume because of the frequency in which I have to apply it throughout the day. 

I wear this perfume quite often, more so in the warmer months, and it's lack of staying power is the only negative thing I have to say about it. I only hope that Lush rectify this, as I would definitely be tempted to buy a second bottle if they did.

Quantitative Ingredients: DRF Alcohol, Perfume, Geranium Oil, Rose Absolute, Blackcurrant Absolute, Roman Chamomile Oil, Citronellol, *Citral, *Geraniol, *Limonene, *Linalool, *Eugenol, *Farnesol.

Vegan?: Yes.

2015 Price: £16 for 10ml, £32 for 30ml.

Year Of Original Release: 2012.

Scent Family:
Flower's Barrow Liquid Perfume

No comments

Post a Comment


UP