Recently

7 May 2015

Don't Rain On My Parade Shower Sheet


I'm going to be honest: just like most of the shoppers who swiped a handful of these on opening day, I wasn't thinking about the practicality or the value for money that this product was offering - I was throwing my hard-earned cash at a mere novelty concept and the fact that it 'smelled nice'. Consumerism at its best. 

Don't Rain On My Parade Shower Sheet is a brand new, never before seen design from the very company that has excelled in solid hair care and jellied shower gels. For this reason, it is very easy to push any doubts to one side and trust that Lush must know what they're doing, right? While skeptics may state that there is a good reason as to why this product has never been attempted before, I was willing to file away my doubts and 'go with the flow'. 

Lush state that this shower sheet contains violet leaf and vanilla infusion - a collaboration that gives this unique-looking shower companion a really creamy, sweet floral fragrance. Fans of Tuca Tuca will be interested to know that this sheet has the same aroma as the products in this popular fragrance family - a sweet, rich violet scent with a sugary, malty undertone. 
This particular edition also shares its scent with the shower gel of the same name - a product that literally blew my socks off from the first delicious sniff to its debut in the shower. From the outset, I was expecting equally amazing things to come from this sheet - an expectation that wasn't quite matched because of a few product flaws. 

Firstly, this sheet is a little bigger than A5 in size and will set you back a rather hefty £12.95 - a mere £3 less than a 500g bottle of the shower gel version. For this reason, I was expecting the Don't Rain On My Parade Shower Sheet to be either reusable or resilient to water so it would have a long shelf life in my bathroom. Unfortunately, I found that once the product got wet, it disintegrated rather quickly and there is no way I would have been able to reuse the piece I had taken into the shower with me.   

Made from a combination of dried honeydew melon and an array of essential oils, this original but equally interesting shower sheet is easy enough to use. Simply tear off a small piece (about the size of the circumference of one of Lush's solid perfume tins) and add a little water to the mix. The sheet will foam up rather quickly and produce a creamy lather that can then be massaged across the body. 

While the foam was easy to use and offered me a wonderful, fragrant cream that left a strong aroma on my skin, the lather is definitely not as creamy or as moisturising as the shower gel addition. 

Furthermore, this shower sheet doesn't produce as generous a lather as the gel so you have to use more to get the desired amount. Given that this sheet is big enough to offer roughly 40 uses, you would expect the price of this sheet to reflect that of a 250g bottle, as the 500g equivalent would easily give you triple the amount of shower time. 

On the positive side, this shower sheet is a great travel companion. When compared to the weight of even a 100g bottle of shower gel, this is far lighter and easier to carry. Additionally, this shower sheet can be bent, folded or divided up to fit into any space required. As long as its kept dry, this would be something you could take with you to a festival and know that you'd have less to carry back with you at the end of your stay. 

Not only this, but I do love the fact that all of the shower sheets require no packaging to store or carry, and once they've been used up you have nothing to throw away and add to the already overfilled landfills. 

As a novelty idea, this is definitely one of the most interesting and unique takes on the shower experience. I love how much the smell of this radiates throughout my bedroom and I would even go as far as to say that I'd buy it just to fragrance my room. However, the liquid gel is much better value for money, much more effective in the shower and will last you far longer than this will. For this reason, I would probably opt to buy the shower gel next time I needed to top up on this gorgeous smell. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Honeydew Melon, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Perfume, Alpha Isomethyl Ionone, Cassie Absolute, Fair Trade Vanilla Absolute, Sandalwood Oil, Vetivert Oil, Violet Leaf Absolute, Ylang Ylang Oil, Titanium Dioxide, DRF Alcohol, Benzyl Benzoate, Eugenol, Limonene, Linalool, Colour 42090, Colour 42053, Colour 15510, Colour 77499, Colour 19140.

Vegan?: Yes. 

2015 Price: £12.95 each. 

Year Of Original Release: 2015.

Scent Family: 
Tuca Tuca Candle
Tuca Tuca Liquid Perfume
Tuca Tuca Massage Bar
Tuca Tuca Solid Perfume


11 comments

  1. How big is this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I saw this, I assumed that you were supposed to melt the paper into water and kind of ~make your own~ shower gel. Hmm. Novelty for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would have been a much better idea as it would have probably yielded more shower gel that way but still supported the 'naked' packaging idea. I don't think this is going to be a product with longevity as once people have tried it, I think its one you don't buy again.

      Delete
  3. I feel like you magically knew this was going to be in the kitchen today!(Friday 8th) amazing!thanks for the review as I would have jumped straight in there, but £13 for a "novelty" item is pretty steep. Thanks as usual jen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem - glad I could help! I know it can be tough decide to invest in a product you've never had so if I can either save people money or make them spend a lot, it's a privilege.

      Delete
  4. This is even a liitle bit funny ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a strange product! Have you ever seen those soap leaves from Crabtree & Evelyn? I imagine the shower sheets being like a big version of those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of them before - I'm going to research these now!

      Delete
  6. I came here today, many years after the publication, and I am still surprised :)

    ReplyDelete


UP