Recently

4 May 2015

Don't Look At Me Fresh Face Mask


I was in such a rush to grab the array of bath bombs and shower gels on Oxford Street's opening day, that I barely had time to register the array of amazing products that Lush had out on offer for consumers to try. One such section that I completely dismissed on my initial visit was the fresh counter of face masks - a decision I was soon to regret after seeing the impressive range of new masks that the company had on offer. 

For years I have been rather dismissive of Lush's selection of face masks, most understandably because only a small percentage of them are vegan. While I happen to love the likes of Catastrophe Cosmetic, Cupcake and Oatfix, I have grown tired of alternating between the three and have been looking for something new to renew and revitalise my skin with. 

Don't Look At Me is one of four brand new masks to make an appearance in the flagship store, three of which are certified vegan and completely different from the regular ones that I have been used to up until this point. Probably the most popular seller so far, this product makes an immediate  impression upon removing the lid - where it sports a vivid pastel blue shade unlike any other face mask that Lush currently sell. 

Containing a generous helping of murumuru butter and kaolin, this exclusive mask is perfect for those who want something light and refreshing, but equally something that is going to nourish your face and restore some of the vibrancy you might have lost following the colder months. The lemon juice and grapefruit oil give this mask a very bright, citrusy aroma - one that smells more like the latter ingredient than the former. In fact, the fragrance of this face mask reminded me a little of a soured mandarin - it's very uplifting and refreshing in that way.

Containing a combination of rice syrup, rice milk and grounded white rice, Don't Look At Me has been carefully crafted to not only moisturise and replenish your complexion, but also to exfoliate it and remove any dead skin or unwanted dirt that may be residing in your pores at the time. These three ingredients act as an exfoliant during application; the slight roughness of the ground rice sloughing away at surface dry skin cells to reveal a brighter, fresher looking skin. 

Whereas you would expect a face mask to be smooth, this one is relatively grainy - very similar in consistency to Rub Rub Rub but thicker, more compacted and harsher on the skin. When you apply this, you can immediately feel the gritty texture getting to work at removing unwanted debris, and for this reason I would suggest that you're rather careful when you lather this across your face. As your complexion is quite sensitive, I can imagine that if you're too aggressive with application, you might irritate your pores somewhat and strip your skin of its natural lubrication. 

Once the mask has been applied, you're supposed to leave it on your face for a good 15 - 20 minutes before rinsing it off with warm water. What you're left with is a clean, clear and rather radiant looking complexion, that is smooth to touch and ready to face the day ahead. I loved how refreshed and uplifted it made my face feel after use and I would definitely use this again. 

While Lush doesn't advertise it as being so, I think that this face mask would suit those with more oily, greasy complexions. I only say this because the grainy element of the mask would be great at removing stubborn build up of grease, while the citrus oils would work at balancing out the complexion and replenishing colour and radiance that may have been lost beforehand. 

Having said that, I have relatively dry skin and this still worked well on me - leaving my face feeling really revitalised and smooth to the touch. This is definitely one that I would purchase again and I hope that it becomes a regular member of the face mask family.     

Quantitative Ingredients: Glycerine, Kaolin, Water (Aqua), Fresh Organic Lemon Juice (Citrus limonum), Organic Silken Tofu, Rice Syrup (Oryza sativa syrup), Grounded White Rice (Oryza sativa starch), Rice Milk (Oryza sativa), Murumuru Butter (Astrocaryum Murumuru), Bentone (Hectorite), Colour 42090, Perfume, Grapefruit Oil (Citrus paradisi), Neroli Oil (Citrus Aurantium amara), Limonene, Geraniol, Linalool, Farnesol.

Vegan?: Yes.

2015 Price: £6.95 for 75g. 

Year Of Original Release: 2015. 

10 comments

  1. Jen do you know if the magical moringa facial moisturizer at Oxford is vegan? I'm also dying to know about the new makeup too! You are the only lush blogger who cares to carefully check if something is vegan... (thank you for that!!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there - I have a tub in front me and it seems 100% vegan to me. I have it under authority from a veteran vegan in the store that it is and I would trust both of our judgements 😀

      Delete
    2. yay thank you! If it is still available on friday then I will order it from the kitchen! Since it's expensive I have a feeling it will be.. and if i miss it then that's my own fault!

      Delete
  2. It does sound lovely, but I can't figure out for the life of me, why they would put extra colour in it. I mean, I want nice and natural for my face and not irritate it with synthetic colourants. I always figured the facemasks were supposed to be all about the best for your face, not the most fun to look at.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is very true! All I can think of is that the colour of the product was rather murky by the end and they thought, well if we're going to add a colour, let's do something different and add blue! Having said that, most of Lush's face masks are not very attractive so I don't see why it would matter if one was beige or something!

      Delete
  3. Hi jen
    I don't suppose you know if these new fresh face masks are still applicable to the 5 empty pots offer? I'm heading down in a few weeks and would like to know if it's worth taking the pots with me.
    Thanks
    jess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never mind I've just looked at your picture again and it says so on the lid of the pot! Whoops!

      Delete
  4. Hi Jen!

    FYI for everyone that this has just hit shops in Canada :). I also heard that what is being offered online is also hitting shops in September yay!!!
    Love your site and YouTube videos, your a wealth of info and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete


UP