Recently

26 May 2015

Sugar Daddy-O Hair Conditioner


Since beginning my journey across the entire Lush catalogue, I have succumbed to almost every type of product that they have ever released. While I was initially adamant that toothy tabs were the worst invention ever, I soon came to respect and even revere in their dental powers; although the shower jellies had me confused and rather frustrated to begin with, they quickly won me over with their longevity and diversity.  

Yet up until a few weeks ago, Lush's range of solid conditioners had still not managed to convince me that they worked at all, and if someone had asked me, I would have happily slated them and proclaimed that they were a failed product on Lush's part. That was until I tried Super Daddy-O Hair Conditioner for the first time.

One of four new, strange-looking oval-shaped conditioners, this exclusive bar doesn't look like it's going to be particularly moisturising for the hair. Priced up at £5.95, this small, light and very airy product doesn't seem particularly good value for money either. Yet, having used it consistently over the last month, I have come to learn the value of eating my own words. 

Sharing it's scent with the liquid shampoo of the same name, Super Daddy-O offers a strong, sultry and very sweet violet aroma - one reminiscent of the popular parma violets sweets I used to enjoy as a child. While this fragrance is slightly more sugary than the shampoo edition, it's still very similar and would make a great combination when used together. 
Containing a generous helping of both cocoa butter and shea butter, this solid conditioner is packed with a punch to help soften and nourish your locks from root to tip. The inclusion of cocoa butter, which is a natural emulsifier, helps to moisturise and condition the hair, while shea butter works with the hair's natural sebum and allows the essential oils to be absorbed easily by the hair - thus giving you beautiful, velvety-smooth locks.

While the violet absolute, rose absolute, argan oil and jojoba oil all help to create and strengthen the aroma of this conditioner, they also add to its ability to nourish, strengthen and replenish the hair. This combination of ingredients gave me instant results when I used Daddy-O for the first time and has continued to improve the condition of my hair each and every time I have used it since.     

To use this product, I found it easier to use a combination of methods to transfer the conditioner onto the hair. To begin with, I cupped a small amount of water in-between my hands and then massaged the bar between my fingers before applying the small amount of lather to my hair. Once the bar was wet enough, I then found it easier to rub it directly onto my head - using a circular motion to stimulate the cream and regularly adding water to stop it being too harsh on my locks. 

What I found was that I had to use my judgement on when to stop applying the product because it's a conditioner that doesn't initially make its presence known on the hair. In fact, my hair still felt quite rough even after I had washed the product off under the shower. It wasn't until I had towelled dried my hair and it was drying naturally that I began to notice how soft and shiny it had become.

As to be expected, Super Daddy-O produces an oily, purple foam when massaged under water, which helps in part to see how much product you are amassing between your palms while you're lathering it up. However, this foam does not stain your hands or your hair so you don't have to worry too much about making a mess in the shower.  

While the product is rather stubborn at producing the lather, be careful not to use too much and waste the product. This is not a conditioner that you need to slather on -it's powerful enough to work in small doses, so don't try to cover your whole hair in a thick coating as you'll end up wasting quite a lot doing this. 

As with Daddy-O Shampoo, Super Daddy-O Conditioner left my hair looking shiny and feeling tangle free every time. It strengthened my hair and made it far more manageable than other conditioners that I have used in the past. It complimented my natural highlights and revamped these to give my hair a really lovely, natural glow. Finally, I found that it didn't strip my hair of it's dyed colour after multiple uses, and if anything, even helped to replenish the colour and make it seem darker and richer.

For a product that looks like a piece of plastic, it sure does a good job at improving the condition of dry and damaged hair - supporting and strengthening the colour without causing it to fade over time. I am really impressed with this conditioner and I will continue to use this in place of my other non-Lush conditioner that I have been using these last few months. 

Although I haven't been using the product long, the speed in which it's been shrinking suggests that it would last a good 6-8 weeks, perhaps even longer. When I compare this to my current conditioner, it makes it much better value for money and I would happily buy it again.

Quantitative Ingredients: Cetearyl Alcohol & Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Linseed Infusion, Cationic Guar Gum, Fair Trade Colombian Cocoa Butter, Fair Trade Shea Butter, Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Alpha Isomethyl Ionone, Argan Oil, Organic Jojoba Oil, Violet Leaf Absolute, Rose Absolute, Bergamot Oil, Cananga Oil, Limonene, Linalool, Coumarin, Isoeugenol, Benzyl Alcohol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Colour 60725.

Vegan?: Yes. 

2015 Price: £5.95 each. 

Year Of Original Release: 2015. 

Scent Family: 

16 comments

  1. Yay, glad you posted this review ahead of tomorrow morning. This is the one thing I really want to try from the oxford collection. Fingers crossed that I get some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jen! I was wondering if you've already tried Sunny Day and the other Oxford conditioner

      Delete
    2. Hey there - I have tried Sunny Day but only once because I found out after this that it wasn't vegan (contains honey!). It did work really well the one time I tried it and it smelt incredible - I just wish Lush had made it vegan because it might have replaced my Sea Salt Spray that I usually use! I haven't tried the Plumps because that also has honey in it!

      Delete
    3. Thank you for responding. ^_^ I've been looking for reviews and ingredients for these items but it kind of hard to find since they are so new!

      Delete
  2. Just a heads up, I believe this is called "Sugar Daddy-O" (at least that's what the Lush Kitchen is calling it).

    Which is a pretty amazing name isn't it haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I must have been half asleep when I typed this up yesterday, and yes it is a rather fabulous name!

      Delete
    2. No thank YOU for this wonderful blog, I'm obsessed!

      Delete
  3. I don't even care how it conditions...parma violets!!! But thank you for reviewing it ...as always I love reading them :) lucy xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought this yesterday without realising it was for blondes...I have dark brown hair :/ any idea what effect it will have on my hair colour (if any?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully just make it feel softer, it shouldn't have any negative effect on the colour but in my experience it just makes it a bit brighter.

      Delete
  5. Jen has brown hair as far as I know and she said it didnt affect her color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It will only make it a bit brighter. I've dark brown hair and my husband is a silverfox so we're happy with how soft how locks are 😊 and the smell is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really impressed! Everything is very open and very clear clarification of issues. It contains truly facts. Your website is very valuable. Thanks for sharing. Sugar-Free Chewing Gum

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have done a amazing job with you website Sugar-Free Chewing Gum

    ReplyDelete
  9. This shampoo for dry hair claims to add extra softness and brilliant shine from the very first wash. BLACKWOOD FOR MEN

    ReplyDelete


UP