Recently

2 May 2015

Rough With The Smooth Body Scrub

It's common knowledge that some people have a higher pain threshold than others; that some people love fruity smells while others prefer floral. When it comes to body scrubs, I'm definitely someone who 'likes it rough' - in the sense that I enjoy feeling like I'm scraping the very skin off of my bones while I'm exfoliating.

Rough With The Smooth is solely named after the very process it claims to offer - a sugar-packed body scrub that aims to remove uneven, dead and dried skin and leave you feeling silky-smooth to the touch. Sharing it's scent with Lord Of Misrule Bath Bomb and Shower Cream, this Oxford Street Exclusive is a must have for those trying to rid themselves of their scaly skin before the warmer months. 

Giving off a strong but rather sweet rendition of the popular scent, this product contains a variety of oils and butters to make this the most moisturising scrub I have tried from Lush so far. As well as patchouli oil to give this item a wonderful earthy element and vanilla absolute to sweeten the experience, this scrub contains both murumuru butter and castor oil. 

The latter ingredient is known for its healing properties - helping to support the recovery of abrasions, burns and other skin complaints. Murumuru butter works alongside this as an emollient - creating a glossy blanket that coats the skin -  maintaining its radiance and protecting it from the elements. Together, they soften, condition and improve the skin, while the sugar works on ridding the pores of unwanted dirt and debris. 

While Rough With The Smooth is heavier and more compact than Lush's other sugar scrubs, this one also happens to have a longer shelf life. What I mean by this is that it is much sturdier and more resistant to water - an issue that can often plague natural sugar-based cosmetics that don't have ingredients to harden the product. 

While Lush's regular Sugar Scrub tends to dissolve very quickly and I'm only able to get a few uses out of it, this limited edition is much better value for money and will last you a lot longer. I feel as if I can really put pressure on the bar when I'm using it and it won't disintegrate or crumble under the force.  

Simply step away from the direct flow of the water and massage the bar over your body in circular motions. The sugar creates a rough, almost scratchy consistency which removes the dried skin and leaves your body feeling really clean and refreshed. Rinse yourself under the running water to remove any excess sugar and you're ready to exit the shower. 
After the initial use, I noticed that my skin felt noticeably softer and smoother, without feeling taut or dry. I used this on my legs and found that even after I had shaved immediately before use, this scrub didn't irritate my pores or bring my legs out in a rash. Whereas other soaps and scrubs can dry out your skin after use, this scrub made my legs feel as amazing as they do after I've used a body butter or shower smoothie. 

What's even more impressive is that the Lord Of Misrule scent is really strong on your skin afterwards - meaning a little top up from your liquid perfume, if you're lucky enough to own some, and you're all set for a day (or night) of smelling amazing. 

For £4.95, I would say that Rough With The Smooth is one of the better value scrubs that Lush offer and I will definitely need to purchase a few more when my stash of these gets too low. This would make a fantastic permanent member of the family and I would love to see this made a regular product online and in store. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Granulated Sugar, Murumuru Butter (Astrocaryum Murumuru), Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cream Of Tartar (Potassium bitartrate), Organic Castor Oil (Ricinus communis), Perfume, Lauryl Betaine, Black Pepper Oil (Piper nigrum), Patchouli Oil (Pogostemon cablin),  Fair Trade Vanilla Absolute (Vanilla planifolia), Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Benzoate, Citral, Coumarin, Eugenol, Farnesol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Rosie Red Lustre. 

Vegan?: Yes.

2015 Price: £4.95 each.

Year Of Original Release: 2015. 

Scent Family:
Lord Of Misrule Bath Bomb
Lord Of Misrule Body Conditioner
Lord Of Misrule Body Lotion
Lord Of Misrule Body Spray
Lord Of Misrule FUN Bar
Lord Of Misrule Liquid Perfume
Lord Of Misrule Liquid Perfume
Lord Of Misrule Naked Shower Cream
Lord Of Misrule Perfume Oil
Lord Of Misrule Shower Cream
Lord Of Misrule Solid Perfume
Monsters and Aliens
Rough With The Smooth Body Scrub

Witches' Cauldron FUN Bar

16 comments

  1. I have psoriasis and this sounds perfect for exfoliating it! Hopefully it makes it to the states.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have psoriasis as well, I feel your pain. This would be awesome for us. Have you found any lush products that help calm it? I have yet to find anything.

      Delete
    2. Well the yummy mummy body conditioner is good when it's particularly dry. The massage bars are oily and help with the severe dryness of psoriasis. I use rub rub rub shower scrub once a week and then use my prescription ointment and that works nicely. Hope this helps.

      Delete
    3. Dreamwash! It's my savior product

      Delete
  2. Sounds awesome!! Thank you for your review, I was really excited about this one. Is this anything like Sandy Santa?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd actually say this is far stronger than sandy santa. I found with that one that it held its shape and then on about the 4th use it would disintegrate. This one is far my exfoliating and sturdier :)

      Delete
  3. Ingredients please?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm afraid I couldn't feel the ingredients list in store and I've not managed to find them online. The second I do, I'll add them :)

      Delete
    2. :) Thank you lovely!

      Delete
  4. I want to try this one

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is one of the products I am most excited about from the new store. I really hope they make it available to us overseas soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG that sounds amazing! I really hope Lush release some of these things online too, it'll be a long time before I get the chance to visit their new shop. Great review, as always, your descriptions are the best.

    The Vegan Taff | Cruelty-free beauty and lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks heavenly and I am excited to try something in the LOM scent finally! I bought the bath bombs but ended up giving them both away and never got the chance to use it myself! I know the shower cream isn't coming so this will be great to try!

    A bit like yourself I LOVE rough scrubs, which is why RRR never really did it for me despite LOVING the scent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I recently picked this up from a "nearby" Lush store, and the salesperson recommended breaking off a bit of the bar and scrubbing that on, to prolong the life of the sugar-based bar since the whole thing wouldn't be exposed to water.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this smells amazing, why haven't they made a body lotion with this scent?

    ReplyDelete


UP