Recently

16 May 2015

Enzymic Shower Smoothie Roulade


Enzymic Shower Smoothie holds a very valuable place in my heart - for reasons that are quite silly when I think about them, but nevertheless a memory that I cannot seem to shake off. For it was this very product that first gave me a glimpse into the incredible world of Lush Oxford Street. 

Back when the company first leaked those initial pictures of potential new products and verified exclusives, this strange looking green log was the first product that made its way onto my dashboard - an event that sparkled a flurry of excitement and caused my credit card to shrink into the darkest crevices of my already moth-riddled purse. 

While Lush have released shower smoothies before, they haven't released anything that quite looks or feels like this one. Presented as a long 'swiss roll', this product is cut into smaller pieces in store - allowing customers to choose how much or how little they'd like at the time. Furthermore, their nakedness means that they're far cheaper than the likes of Lush Lime or Whitewash because you're not paying for the plastic tub - not to mention the fact that it's better for the environment this way as well. 

What I love about this beautiful green shower smoothie is that it doesn't smell anything like you would expect it to. Initially, I imagined a very clinical smell - a little like Dream Cream or Aqua Marina - a smoothie that didn't possess a very strong fragrance but one that had miracle skin-calming properties aimed at those with sensitive complexions. 

However, I was rather surprised to find that the roulade actually gave off a light fruity scent with a very subtle green note alongside this. An initial sniff presents you with a sort of dampened lime smell intertwined with a clean, fresh grassy note and a slight herbal element to boot. 
Much like Havana Sunrise, Enzymic Shower Smoothie is one of those products that is rather difficult to describe. While there are so many ingredients present in the ingredients list, there's not really a single element that stands out above the rest. So while you can detect the pineapple juice, coconut and brazil nut oil - not to mention the geranium and chamomile oils as well, these elements combine so well together that there's not really a dominant note overall. You just get this strong and very interesting collaboration unlike anything that Lush have ever released before. 

To use any one of Lush's new roulade smoothies, I would recommend that you break off a small piece and use this to clean yourself with. While you could use a whole piece at once, this product is far softer than most of Lush's soaps and I can imagine a 100g chunk would disintegrate and shrink very quickly if exposed to water and left damp in between uses. 

I found that a centimetre piece was enough for each use and I was able to clean most of my body with this. All I did was massage the chunk between my palms and it produced a creamy lather much like a regular soap would. The foam itself was naturally green in colour and painted an interesting picture on skin during use. However, it doesn't stain so will wash away with the water when you rinse.
Much like most of the Lush's other shower smoothies, Enzymic really works hard at cleaning your skin - clearing out unwanted dirt in pores, while the chamomile oil calms the body and supports those with sensitive or irritated skin. However, as with most of their smoothies, I don't find that they moisturise all that well and my skin was left feeling rather taut after using this one. 

While I was impressed with how much the fragrance remained on my skin after I had towelled myself down, I did have to moisturise afterwards which unfortunately thwarted most of the smell that was still lingering on my skin. Furthermore, my hands did feel a little dry after using this and I had to apply quite a lot of hand cream to rectify this problem.

Although I love the fact that this product is naked, that it smells lovely and that it seems to retain its moisture, even if its left out in the open, I didn't leave the shower feeling as soft and nourished as I would when using a normal shower gel. For this reason, I would probably not use this regularly, and only purchase a piece if I felt as if my skin was either stressed or perhaps a little damaged during the hotter months. 

Quantitative Ingredients: Fresh Pineapple Juice (Ananas Sativus), Water (Aqua), Rapeseed Oil; Coconut Oil (Brassica napus: Cocos nucifera), Glycerine, Illipe Butter (Shorea stenoptera), Brazil Nut Oil (Bertholletia excelsa), Perfume, Fresh Papaya Juice (Carica papaya), Sodium Chloride, Fresh Lime (Citrus aurantifolia), Geranium Oil (Pelargonium graveolens), Chamomile Blue Oil (Matricaria chamomilla), Hyssop Oil (Hyssopus officinalis), EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Sodium Hydroxide, Citral, Citronellol, Eugenol, Farnesol, Geraniol, Limonene, Linalool, Chlorophyllin (CI 75810).  

Vegan?: Yes.

2015 Price: £5 per 100g. 

Year Of Original Release: 2015.

4 comments

  1. I bought some of this when I went to the Oxford St store and, whilst at first I agree it wasn't my favourite because of how it made my skin feel, it's really grown on me! I really like the smell- especially because it lasts for hours- and it leaves my skin slightly sparkly. I think I might try the Orange roulade next time and see how that goes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it's grown on you - I don't dislike the scent, it's just not a personal favourite :) I can't say it left me glittery though! Hehe!

      Delete
  2. Sorry, but I don't see how these new naked smoothies "far cheaper" than Lush Lime and Whitewash in the tubs. £5 per 100g - it is more expensive. Expensive and messy (because they are without tub). Also I think tubs are most suitable for such type of product, I definitely won't buy new smoothies without packaging for that price.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed.I loathe the roulades. Hope Lush see sense and bring the tubs back permanently. The tubs are recyclable so there's no need for them to be 'naked'

      Delete


UP