Recently

9 May 2015

Avocado Co-wash



Previous experience with Lush's solid conditioners left me feeling rather apprehensive about using this product to begin with. Despite the fact that it smells incredible and contains my favourite all-time ingredient, the avocado, I was unsure whether or not this product would be worth the price tag or indeed the hassle. 

Avocado Co-wash Solid Conditioner was one of the first products I gravitated towards on my initial visit to the Oxford Street store. Modelled to look like a large wheel of Edam cheese, this pale green exclusive has a thin layer of red wax decorating its shell, which has been used to lock in the moisture of the fresh ingredients and prevent the conditioner from drying out over time. Much like the cheese, this solid hair product is also soft and slightly elasticated to touch - no doubt due to all of the amazing ingredients that go into making this bar. 

Containing cupuacu butter, cocoa butter and fresh avocado, this shampoo/conditioner combo is rich in natural oils and has been designed to cleanse, soften and deeply moisturise your locks from root to tip. This combination of butters and oils have been carefully selected to offer you a very effective conditioner - one that has been designed to lock in your hair's natural moisture and add to it, without stripping your hair of the oils that it needs to remain soft and radiant. 

Cupuacu butter is a natural emollient - meaning its the ingredient that penetrates the locks and helps to leave them looking and feeling silky-soft; olive oil works on strengthening your hair and gently treating the scalp at the same time. Aside from tasting incredible, avocado is rich in natural oils and helps to nourish and hydrate your hair and give it a gorgeous healthy shine. 
Aside from it's conditioning properties, this bar is easily the best smelling haircare product that Lush have ever released. Despite the inclusion of rosemary, olibanum and bergamot, Avocado Co-Wash smells exactly like lime cheesecake - a sweet, creamy, citrus affair unlike anything that Lush have ever released before. 

This incredible aroma is pungent enough that it remains on your hair for the entire day, yet light enough that it's not overpowering or unbearable for the wearer. I couldn't believe just how many compliments I received from random strangers and work colleagues after using this in the morning. The smell of this makes it the perfect summer conditioner: it'll not only leave you with beautiful locks, but will help to perk you up at the same time.

To use this product, I found it easier to use a combination of methods to transfer a lather onto the hair. To begin with, I cupped a small amount of water in-between my hands and then massaged the bar between my fingers before applying the small amount of lather to my hair. Once the bar was wet enough, I then found it easier to rub it directly onto my head - using a circular motion to stimulate the cream and regularly adding water to stop it being too harsh on my locks. 

What I found was that I had to use my judgement on when to stop applying the product because it's a conditioner that doesn't initially make its presence known on the hair. In fact, my hair still felt quite rough even after I had washed the product off under the shower. It wasn't until I had towelled dried my hair and it was drying naturally that I began to notice how soft and shiny it had become.
Once fully dry, my hair looked and felt so amazing - I couldn't believe the transformation. My damaged ends didn't seem to be as depleted of moisture as they had been before, my hair felt fuller but much more manageable and my locks had a wonderful natural shine to it that brought out my natural highlights without weakening the colour of my hair dye. 

My only issue with Avocado Co-wash is that it's rather expensive - coming in at £9.95 for a 100g block. After using it a few times, I noticed that the block  shrunk a lot quicker than any of Lush's other solid hair care products and I can see this piece only lasting me a month with regular use.  

For this reason, I think that this conditioner would be perfect for those who dye their hair regularly and lose a lot of moisture whenever they do so. A few weeks of this every so often, just to replenish the hair of its natural oils, would be a perfect remedy. However, as a regular conditioner, I'm not quite sure if I can justify the price tag.

Having said this, the product itself is flawless when it comes to productivity, smell and design. It's the first and only solid conditioner from Lush that has worked for me so far and one I will definitely buy again. I would highly recommend that you try this out for yourself, and coupled with Odango Solid Shampoo, my hair is shaping up to be in perfect condition for the warmer months ahead.

Quantitative Ingredients: Rosemary Infusion, Cupuacu Butter (Theobroma grandiflorum), Fair Trade Organic Cocoa Butter (Theobroma cacao), Fresh Avocado, Sodium Laurate Sulfate, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Cetearyl Alcohol, Perfume, Bergamot Oil (Citrus Aurantium bergamia), Litsea Oubeba Oil,  Olibanum Oil (Boswellia carterii), Glycerine, Organic Extra Virgin Oil (Olea europaea), SSD, Cider Vinegar, Guar Gum (Guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride), Gardenia Extract (Gardenia jasminoides), Amyl Cinnamal, Cinnamal, Cinnamyl Alcohol, Limonene, Linalool, Red Wax (Specerit Red).

Vegan?: Yes.

2015 Price: £9.95 for 100g. 

Scent Family:
Avocado Cowash Body Spray
Avocado Cowash
Avocado No Wash Body Lotion
Avocado Wash Shower Gel
Don't Touch My Hair Hair Marshmallow
Melusine Bath Bomb
Minamisoma Shower Oil


25 comments

  1. Hmm this is four quid dearer than the average bar conditioners, meh. Although I have just started to use Jungle solid conditioner and noted the same as you, it didn't feel like it was doing anything atall whilst hair was wet but when dey it was so soft and lovely. I just ordered so.e golden handshake from the kitch and at same time got some seanik shampoo bars too as hear they are good. I really don't rate the liquid shampoos and conditioners though :( but I do have very thicj and long hair so it's not worth the ££ as they don't last long x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excuse the typos! *dry *some *thick

      Delete
    2. It is quite a bit more but it does work wonders on my hair - I'm just hoping some of the other new solid conditioners work just as well as I can alternative between this and one of them! I feel the same about the longevity of the shampoos/conditioners as I too have long and rather thick hair and I get through products so quickly! I hope Seanik works for you :)

      Delete
    3. Thanks! I will def try this bar when/if it comes into the kitchen or mainstream Lush stores :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Jen,

    thanks for this review. I'm really dying to try this one out. Hopefully Odango is the next product you will review. The hair care range is the one thing I can't wait to try of Oxford Street products.

    Could you maybe tell me what is "Lovely"? It's in your hair care list but I didn't see it in any LUSH haul video.

    And thanks again for sharing your impressions, it's nearly as good as having the products here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How long do these last ? As in how long are they good for and how long can they be kept ? I ask because I'm in the US and I have someone going for me to get a few things and I want to get two of these to have but will they keep for long ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there! I noticed that in the ingredients you have listed "Sodium Laurate Sulfate". I'm guessing this is a typo, but is it meant to be laureth or lauryl? I would assume the former but I just wanted to check. :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just to let you know that this is designed as a Co-Wash not a conditioner, it's supposed to be used in place of a shampoo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow - thank you! It does work really well as a conditioner though although I'll now use it in place of a shampoo!

      Delete
    2. Its actually supposed to be both. Its a cowash which is a cleansing conditioner. Its meant to be a very gentle 2 in 1 that won't strip the hair of its natural oils.

      Delete
  6. I think it smells just like 25:43 perfume.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm excited to try this out, I'm hoping it'll work well with my curls, most regular shampoos tend to be too stripping for me and this seems like it has a lot of great balancing and moisturizing ingredients!

    http://fortheloveoflush.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have quite curly hair and it's worked wonders at moisturising my locks and taming the curls a little :)

      Delete
  8. i picked up a block of this today.found it rather hard to get it off the bar to massage into my hair in the first place, but yes...the smell is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jen,

    I think your link to conditioners is not working since the update on the layout? Which is lovely by the way because it's so easy to navigate when not at the computer screen. :-)

    Lucky for me I knew which product I was looking for and was able to search for it. :-) I started using the Avocado Co-Wash today and was wondering what you thought about it. Thanks for this review!

    Considering the lack of foam his product produces and its mostly moisturising effect (in contrast to cleansing my scalp) I find it a bit odd that LUSH labels it as a shampoo & conditioner. Do you have any thoughts on that?

    All the best
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Vielen Dank für diese wertvolle Information, ich habe Ihre Website für die Zukunft und weitere Referenzen vorgemerkt.
    Ich habe einige relevante Informationen, die Sie unten überprüfen können
    HairVox gegen Haarausfall

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would be appreciating all of your articles and blogs as a result of their suiting up mark. conditioner that adds volume

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have mixed feelings about this product! It definitely makes my hair shiny and super soft, but it is just so damn hard to lather! I have a sample so I can't rub the bar directly on my head. Also, if I use too much by mistake (it's hard to judge), I notice my hair gets a little weighed down and greasy near the roots. I think it's something I'll sample hoard and keep at my boyfriend's for occasional use :). Don't think I'll ever purchase it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Could you review the plumps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately I am unable to review this gorgeous looking bar because it's not vegan :(

      Delete
  14. I would love to try this, I'm getting one now. I hope it works great on my hair. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. "I can see this piece only lasting me a month with regular use." Um, so yeah...I was told by the Lush sales lady at MY local store that I should only use this maybe once a month, if that. I've had my 100g block for about 3 months now and have barely made a dent in it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Tu publicación es valiosa e informativa. Este es el mejor que he encontrado en Internet.
    Estoy muy agradecido por la maravillosa información. Seguir escribiendo. Agradecer!
    AS I AM COWASH

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your Blog was pretty good and explore our website for more collections
    As I Am | Beautizone

    ReplyDelete


UP