Recently

13 May 2015

Respect Your Elders Soap


As regular readers will know, I am not an awfully big fan of soap. It has nothing to do with Lush or a particularly bad experience with a product, it's merely because shower gels are my achilles heel and I would rather be lathering myself up with the goodness from a bottle than rubbing myself down with a block of glycerine. 

You can imagine my distain and slight annoyance then when I discovered just how many new soaps Lush would be bringing out as part of their Oxford Street store experience. While a part of me argued that I should ignore the soap counter and pretend like it didn't exist, my compulsive nature and dedication to 'all things Lush' meant that I was unable to do this. 

Luckily, my first experience with one of the new soaps was with Respect Your Elders - a stunning deep purple soap that pertains a smell that will make you want to salivate excessively. With elderberries, bergamot oil and buchu oil making up the most part of this scent, this is a brand new fragrance worth getting excited about.

What I love about this product is that it smells like nothing else that Lush have ever brought out before. The inclusion of elderberries - an ingredient that Lush rarely use in any of their products, gives this soap a wonderfully sweet and slightly subtle floral smell. Yet the most dominant part of the fragrance is definitely the fruity element. 

It reminds me of two things; purple grape juice but without the sour element to it; and ripe blackberries that have been reduced to a pulp and sprinkled with sugar. It has a very 'berry-eque aroma to it, yet at the same time it does remind me of being outdoors in the summer - the sun on my face, the cocktails in full swing and the fragrance of fresh flowers heavy in the wind. It's absolutely gorgeous.
While the scent isn't strictly blackcurrant, it does remind me a little of Sweetie Pie Shower Jelly and fans of The Comforter will probably appreciate the fruity element of this product. Although I've not had these in a good ten years, the smell is also reminiscent of what I remember blackcurrant Jolly Ranchers to smell like. 

To add to its allure, the soap lathers up with ease - producing a thick, creamy and very fragrant aroma that leaves your skin feeling clean and smelling beautiful. Although my skin didn't feel as nourished as it does with most of Lush's shower gels, it did feel really smooth and maintained the fragrance of the soap for a good few hours after I had left the shower. 

While the soap does feel a little soft under the thumb, it's sturdy enough that a 100g piece should last you a good month with daily usage, making it good value for money. It's consistency reminds me a little of Demon In The Dark Soap and much like this aforementioned favourite, the soap seems to leave your skin looking slightly polished, without seeming greasy. 
Despite the dark nature of the design, Respect Your Elders Soap is actually very light and gentle on the senses. I expected something quite heavy and overly floral, so I was pleasantly surprised when I discovered this was not the case at all. While I will definitely be buying this soap again, 

Quantitative Ingredients: Rapeseed Oil; Coconut Oil (Brassica napus; cocoa nucifera), Water (Aqua), Glycerine, Elderflower Infusion (Sambucus nigra), Sorbitol, Water (Aqua), Perfume, Sodium Stearate, Elderberries (Sambucus nigra), Sodium Chloride, Bergamot Oil (Citrus Aurantium bergamia), Buchu Oil (Barosma betulina), Cypress Oil (Cupressus sempervirens), Olibanum Oil (Boswellia carteri), EDTA, Tetrasodium Etidronate, Sodium Hydroxide, Alpha-isomethyl Ionone, Benzyl Salycilate, Hydroxycitronellal, Limonene, Linalool, Colour 17200, Colour 142090. 

Vegan?: Yes. 

2015 Price: £3.40 per 100g. 

Year Of Original Release: 2015. 

Scent Family:
Respect Your Elders Soap
Snakes And Ladders FUN

4 comments

  1. Sounds amazing, I've read you do lush orders for people? I'm interested if you have the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I was just wondering if you use Lush's soaps with a loofah or shower gloves or something? I normally do this and have found that they produce a much creamier and foamier lather :) I would prefer if they'd make some of their soaps into shower gels but I buy them because I like the smell so much and it always lasts so long!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I recently saw on instagram that someone said this smells a bit like American Cream, is this true?! I've also heard that about Gymslip dusting powder. If not, do you happen to know of any new Oxford Street products that share the American Cream scent? (as you might have guessed, it's my favorite Lush scent haha!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This soap right here shares it's scent with the Mr Punch soap from xmas 2013, I'm certain of it! I was sniffing away at this soap, knowing I had smelled this fragrance in another product and it took me ages to remember which one! This one might be a little more on the berry side though as it also resembles comforter quite a bit, it's almost like a cross between the two scents, either way, it is delicious!

    ReplyDelete


UP